Alternative SPD's sought

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
I am currently using the following on my road bike
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-A520-SP ... _15543.htm

I find them difficult to click in and out off after much setting and resetting etc...is there a good alternative?

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• thebig25
    thebig25 Posts: 46
    I had the same pedals, but have just changed them because of clipping in issues. I bought them because I liked the idea of being able to use them with normal shoes should I want to run to the shops without putting my cleats on.

I kept finding myself fannying around trying to find the right side of the pedal when pulling away and the last straw came when I pulled away with one foot clipped in and could not find the clip for love nor money and managed to slip off the pedal and crack the jewels on the crossbar. :evil:

I've gone for some Shimano M520 double sided SPD's pedals instead- I use these on my mtb and have no problems with them.
  • KarenC
    KarenC Posts: 1
    i've got Crank Bros Quattros i think they are a similar weight to the Shimano ones in your link, i've had clipping issues with all sorts of pedals so a double sided with a platform works best for me.
  • landrew
    landrew Posts: 69
    Just get some M520s, they are better than the dual sided pedals so you should have no problems clipping in.
    Andy
  • trevtherev
    trevtherev Posts: 372
    i've ordered some M520's the problems you have described are exactly the probs I have..ie mainly clickin into the cleat on the wrong side..like the idea of the double side and they are at a good price on chainreaction.

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
    www.runningfree.co.uk
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    +1 for M520's
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    If anyone else is wondering about commuting SPD pedals then the Shimano M324 are worth looking at. Sometimes they are a bit annoying because the SPD side is on the wrong side, but you still have the platform side available. Added bonus is they take reflectors so are legal for after dark use.
    Steve C
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    I have flats on one side. The trick I find is to pull away regardless of what side you find and sort the clipping in once I am moving.

I don't think this slows me particularly as I am slow anyhow :)
    A biking runner :)
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    sc999cs wrote:
    If anyone else is wondering about commuting SPD pedals then the Shimano M324 are worth looking at. Sometimes they are a bit annoying because the SPD side is on the wrong side, but you still have the platform side available. Added bonus is they take reflectors so are legal for after dark use.

I recently got some of these and really like them especially having the option of using the flats in heavy traffic or multiple stop areas. I tried out the m520 first but was too scaredy to be clipped in all the time :oops:
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    +1 for M520s

if you really need to use them with other shoes, they come with a plastic bit to clip in, turning them into flatties.