Easy to carry spanner for track nuts?

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
The only prob with the Alfine (apart from weight and the fiddly cable thingie) is the lack of QR. Can anyone recommend a good spanner for wheel nuts that is handy to carry, holds the nuts well, provides a good grip but also fits easily into a saddlebag?

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Surly Jethro Tule.

Edit - Should add that's a suggestion rather than recommendation since I don't actually own one. In other words: It might be crap.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    +1 For the dumbell spanner (thanks for telling me what its proper name is). I looked far and wide for a multi-tool with a 15mm spanner and couldn't find a satisfactory one.

I found this, but went for a simpler Park multi-tool and the above-mentioned spanner.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    The commercial fixie tools have good 15mm spanners, but no tyre lever. I made my own by cutting the end off a 15mm ring spanner and shaping it into a tyre lever with an angle grinder. This gives you a single tool that has all you need to fix a puncture or adjust your chain tension.

If you don't need the tyre lever, then the Pedros Trixie seems a good option to me.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    I made my own by cutting the end off a 15mm ring spanner and shaping it into a tyre lever with an angle grinder

This is exaclty what I've done.....initially considered cutting up an adjustable spanner, but didn't when I realised there are no other nuts/bolts on the bike
  • +1 to 15mm spanner + hacksaw.

Angle grinder? Tyre lever? Sounds a wee bit complicated to me.
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    I'll take every opportunity I get to use a power tool... especially dangerous, sparky ones! You should have seen the state of theworkbench in the garage after I bought a dremel multi
  • Roastie
    :) Cool, ta for the advice - think I'll go with the dumbell - I like my Park tyre levers so no need for a cut spanner. And I like the rounded edges. Jetho looks a bit pricey for what it is (though it is nice, I must say).
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    For my Nexus hub gear I have two 15 mm full size car mechanic spanners for the axle nuts, and two 10 mm spanners for the hub brake arm. Not convenient but they make changing the wheel easier - lucky I have panniers.

I use two 15 mm spanners to try and line the wheel up straight. If I use one I always end up with the wheel off centre.
    Steve C
  • Positron
    Positron Posts: 191
    Surly Jethro Tule is a lovely spanner - decided to treat myself when got a CrossCheck fixed on bike-for-work... (but a truly awful bottle opener).
    Never order anti-pasta to arrive at the same time as pasta.
  • wgwarburton
    +1 to 15mm spanner + hacksaw.

Angle grinder? Tyre lever? Sounds a wee bit complicated to me.

Sadly, I can't change a tube without a tyre lever, but the single tool is simplicity itself, especially when its raining etc...

Take two tools out in a shower? Not me!! I just Stash and Go!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've got a campagnolo peanut spanner, it's light and works a treat
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    dscn5570a.jpg

Attaches to a bottle cage mount :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • wgwarburton
    DevUK wrote:
    dscn5570a.jpg

Attaches to a bottle cage mount :)

Yup- that's the Pedros Trixie I was referring to earlier- more versatile than a Jethro-Tule but still no tyre lever!!

You only need one... but when you need it you really need it!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Be wary of dumbbell spanners - they are well known for being brittle. Parktools do something that will be suitable.
  • wgwarburton
    Be wary of dumbbell spanners - they are well known for being brittle. Parktools do something that will be suitable.

Hey, yeah! Good point- forgot about that: the Park SS-15C could be just what you want.

Cheers,
    W.
  • I had a dumb-bell spanner explode on me when trying to loosen off the drive side nut.

Thankfully I also had a small multitool with 15mm spanner bit.

I still carry a dumb-bell though. (obviously a replacement one!)

I have the Park Tools jobbie but it's a bit heavy to be carrying around on the bike.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use the Park SS-15. It's heavy, but not that heavy.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    15mm open ended/ring ended spanner for me - fits in my bag nicely! About a £1 from a car parts shop.....
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Jethro Tule user here. Never had a problem with it, either in getting the wheels secured, or in opening beer bottles with it. I love the fact it has a rounded top, so you can get plenty of torque just using the palm of your hand, compared to some of the thers which can be uncomfortable to use, due to smaller profiles.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Roastie
    Be wary of dumbbell spanners - they are well known for being brittle. Parktools do something that will be suitable.

Hey, yeah! Good point- forgot about that: the Park SS-15C could be just what you want.

Cheers,
    W.
    That appears to be the dog's nads. Reckon I'll get one. Perhaps I should just buy shares in Park?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    On the strength of this thread I Dremeled a combi spanner tonight so that it now is just a 15mm ring spanner.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    I just use the free 15mm spanner I got from some Mountain Bike magazine. I think they are "UK" based... :roll:

I love buying more tools and have taken note of some sugestions. My good lady's patience will be tested shortly. :wink:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • wgwarburton
    redvee wrote:
    On the strength of this thread I Dremeled a combi spanner tonight so that it now is just a 15mm ring spanner.
    No! You're missing the point.. it shouldn't be just a spanner:

Shape the cut-off end to form a tyre lever (just needs a thin rounded end, really, no sharp edges!) then it's the only tool you need to carry (assuming your front wheel is Q/R or has the same 15mm nuts). You stick this in your pocket (or hang it round your neck on a string!) with a spare tube. Pump on the bike and you have a minimalist puncture kit.
    With a fully deflated tube you can lift the bead over the rim with this, then hold it in place with your thumb while you pop another bit over 6"-9" along. The bead in between will drop down and you can then slip the lever under it and run it round the wheel to clear it. You only need the one lever to take the tyre off and swap in the tube.

Cheers,
    W.
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Lezyne do a pair of 15mm spanners, with tyre levers on the other end and a bottle opener in the middle., plus a little neoprene tube to hold them together.

36294.jpg

Not very cheap, but quite well finished.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I just carry a 15mm spanner, a normal one from a set. One end is 14mm but I don't use that
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I just carry a 15mm spanner, a normal one from a set. One end is 14mm but I don't use that
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Took the wheel off the Tricross tonight to fit Road Racers Mk1.5 and had to release the chain tugs so I'm tempted to dremel a 10mm slot into the chopped end.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    gtvlusso wrote:
    15mm open ended/ring ended spanner for me - fits in my bag nicely! About a £1 from a car parts shop.....
    Sensible. not everything has to be bike specific (i.e. fucking pricey)
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I've got the Lezyone one and it's not very good...lovely to look at but too thin to get your nuts tight (ooeerr!) withouth hurting your hand. Plus it can chew your nuts if you're not careful (sorry, not intentional innuendo! :oops: )

I carry the lezyne plus a 15mm ring and open ended spanner from Halfords.