3x9, 2x10 or 3x10....

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited August 2010 in MTB general
What are the advantages of say a 2x10 over a 3x9 and 3x10? I run a 2x10 on my road bike and was thinking about possibly dropping to a double on one of my MTB's. From what i have seen on here 2x10 offers almost the exact same ratio spread as 3x9? Does a 3x10 provide a massive advantage over the 2x10? I would imagine it just provides closer ratios on the rear cassette?

Comments

• Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Apart from what you've mentioned it gives greater clearance I believe and obviously loses weight over a 3 sprocket set up. With a 3 x 10 not all gears will be usable so maybe 25/26 will be whereas I'm pretty sure as the sprockets are spread out wider angles are tolerated therefore more(if not all of the 20) gears can be used. That's my understanding of it anyway.
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    EDIT: Double post, sorry.
  • torgey33
    torgey33 Posts: 179
    Hi
    Think it all depends on what type of riding you do, i`ve got a scott xc hardtail for fast singletrack and find that i don`t use the granny cog or the last few gears in top so have been looking at going to a 2x10 to cover the spread that i do use, something like 24-36 up front and 11-36 out back, the gains for this would be closer ratios and a possible little weight loss.
    Also got a spesh full suss for more techical trail use that could go the same way but with a wider spread say 24-38 out back instead.

Shimano do a double crank SLX thats rated/reviewed well

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... +crank+set

I posted a thread similar to this a little while ago and had some feed back, check it out

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
    Whats That All About !

`06 Saracen Mantra
    `07 Scott Reflex 20
    `10 Specialized fsr xc pro
  • Do people have problems with spinning out when using a double up front?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    On certain tracks yes. A lot of my riding invloves some long, straight parts so even a 44/11 can spin out.

But that much flexibilty in drivetrains nowadays you can get them set up pretty much to your ideals, wheter that be to stay more in one chainring, more range, close ratio, whatever.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    2 x 10 is just better ........ fact.

as a relatively fit rider i've found that 2 x10 suits me and riding perfectly, ive got the power to push a bigish gear, so a 26.39 and an 11-36 seems to suit me perfectly :D
  • supersonic
    Better for you!

Not me - or many others ;-)
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Do people have problems with spinning out when using a double up front?

Only on fire road sections TBH. I run a 22/36 up front with a 32/11 cassette- when I was using a speedo I could pull 25+mph IIRC before spinning out. Which for normal trail use is fine for me.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    On certain tracks yes. A lot of my riding invloves some long, straight parts so even a 44/11 can spin out.

But that much flexibilty in drivetrains nowadays you can get them set up pretty much to your ideals, wheter that be to stay more in one chainring, more range, close ratio, whatever.

You don't mention a (down) hill, if your spinning out with 44/11 off road, on the flat, then you are a cycling god and I suddenly feel very rubbish.

On my bike I don't spin out a 44/11 to about 36 MPH, that, off road is a pretty hefty speed.

I'm actually thinking about a 1x9, or a 1x10 would be better.

If I could find a 9 speed cassette with a 36T cog I think I could match that with a 38T front ring and be pretty happy 90% of the time.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've been running a double for years, originally 32/44, then 30/42 then 28/40 on a 2x9 with an 11-34, now 28/42 with 11-36 2x10, the ratios are far better for me, prefer the slightly smaller big ring, use that for 90% of my riding and just drop to the granny on really steep stuff.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    Depends on preferences and type of riding. I prefer 3 rings up front as the middle ring is usually the cog I'm on for most of my riding. On a 2x10 I find I'm shifting between front rings quite a lot.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • supersonic
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Depends on preferences and type of riding. I prefer 3 rings up front as the middle ring is usually the cog I'm on for most of my riding. On a 2x10 I find I'm shifting between front rings quite a lot.

Yep, same for me too.

As you say, one system isn't better than the other for everyone - it depends on the rider. Choice is a good thing.
  • Macster1
    Macster1 Posts: 122
    What does "Spin Out' mean then? :oops:
    Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :D
  • supersonic
    When you can't pedaling any faster ceases to cause useful drive.

Not always about spinning out though, I prefer to keep a cadence of around 80-100, and will only top then when really going for it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Macster1 wrote:
    What does "Spin Out' mean then? :oops:

If you get on your bike, and change in to the smallest ring on the front and the largest cog on the back (highest gear in other words).

Now pedal as fast as you can, it won't be long before your legs can't turn any quicker and you can't go any faster without changing down a gear.

This point when you can't go any faster because your legs can't move any quicker is the point you "spin out".
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    I recently swapped to a 2x9 set up and it works for me. I run a 11-34 cassette on the back and 22/36 rings on the front.
    The pros are I can run a chain retainer, a bash ring and a slightly shorter chain. On rough downhills there's less clattering around in the drivetrain and there's no chance of dropping the chain.
    The only disadvantage is having to drop down to the granny ring a bit earlier than with a 32t middle ring. There's little chance of spinning out unless you do a lot of time on the road, or enjoy boring fireroad downhills.