tyre wear

Mrnorris
Mrnorris Posts: 31
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Do off road tyres such as Panracer Fire Xc Pro's wear out quicker if they are mainly used on the road. I am doing quite a bit of road riding to improve my fitness but I'm worried I'm trashing the off road tyres on the road.

Comments

• They're going to wear out quicker. But they'll still last a while.

Ideally slicks, or semi slicks will not only last longer, but also make you a lot faster. But not always practical if you're going to be swapping all the time.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    They'll wear down quicker and there'll make your life harder due to added friction!! If you're mainly riding on road, you should get some semi-slicks to suit your riding. Like mentioned above, you'll also notice how much smoother your bike will ride over the road surface
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I used to regularly do 10 flat road miles in under 30 mins on my Nail Trail with 1.25" slicks pumped to 90psi. There's no need for a tread pattern on road bicycle tyres they don't go fast enough to aquaplane.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Conti race kings are great for on and off road.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Mrnorris
    Mrnorris Posts: 31
    thanks for the responses, I ride bridal paths and tracks at the weekend and the tyres are great for that, but during the week I have been trying to get 2 or 3 rode rides in to improve my fitness, but don't really want to be swapping tyres around, just have to live with it.
  • How quickly do tyres like the Panracer Fire Xc Pro's wear on bridleways. As in, how many miles should they last before replacing (all conditions)?
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    The harder the surface the greater the wear rate and in terms of how long they last that will depend on the tyre, the bike and the riding style
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • t0pc4t wrote:
    The harder the surface the greater the wear rate and in terms of how long they last that will depend on the tyre, the bike and the riding style

I guess there are a lot of different variables. As a ballpark figure, are we talking a few thousand miles?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Spesh 1.5 amidillo slick - 4000 ish miles, perhaps 3000 before you should really change it.

If it's summer and all you're riding is road, tracks and bridal paths then slicks are a good option - cn improve your skills too when you push them to the limit.

Normal mtb tyres will wear properly only on the center knobs (more so the higher the pressure) so you end up with a tyre good for cornering on loose stuff but rubbish when it gets a bit muddy....
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    There is one real gain from using off road tyres on road....

The greater resistance means you work harder, and the reason you are doing the road work is to boost fitness....

So by using off road tyres you will have a greater gain to fitness.

Guy I used to know used to use a really heavy old mtb for all his road work as then when he got on his xc race bike it felt lighter and much easier!! (and was less wear on his race bike!)
    Bit like the bike equivalent of running while pulling a car tyre behind you!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......