Once again, clueless beginner with questions!

Eyon
Eyon Posts: 623
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,

Many apologies for a post which is no doubt a replica of thousands of others before hand.

Basically I have picked up a bike for the first time in many many years (sold my last one around 14 yr old, im now 21), and am having a great time hammering through bridleways in this area. I had a bit of fun with road biking about a year ago but it got boring and unsociable by myself, maybe OK in the local tri-club but just wasn't for me

The bike im riding is my best mates who gave it to me, based on a Giant Boulder frame with his own bits on it, cant say names as im not clued up enough, its fairly old though but with some love and care i got it back up to ridable standard again.

Apart from the public footpaths/bridleways, I've been up at thetford a few times as its quite local to me (im about 10miles south of cambridge), and I like it, im of OK physical fitness and the black route is all ive tried, and enjoyed, however reading up around here its a pretty poor route, and I'll try the red one next time I'm there.

So the questions:

Apart from that within say an hours drive of Cambridge/North Essex, does anyone know some real good enjoyable routes to try out? in the style of Thetford routes as i like that style of riding. Not tried any jumps yet, so nothing too mental

Also, in the north Essex/Cambridge area is there any organised rides and/or groups of people here who ride often?

Thanks, looking forward to being a part of the forum

Ian

Comments

• RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    Hey fella. Are you looking for purpose built trail action or just some decent rides?

First thing is go out and buy an OS map for the area you live in, Some great riding can be found on your doorstep if you are prepared to go and have an explore.

If you want proper prepared trail action then go to a mountain bike centre. I've just come back from my first visit to Glentress which was also my first visit to a purpose built trail centre..... absolutely astonshing as Clarkson would say. It was amazing and the best thing was the spirit of 'brotherhood' amongst all the bikers there.... I spent some time chatting to people on the trail and helping people with punctures etc... is was brilliant.

Rendlesham forest has some nice rides, the ten mile one is best but isn't technical trail of anything. There is a small mountain bike park skills area there which is a laugh.

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Eyon
    Hi RockingDad, thanks for the reply.

Mostly looking for purpose built trails in the area. The Rendlesham forest one you mention is between 60-80 miles for me depending on the route i take according to google, maybe ill try that one some time.

I've actually dug the old OS map out, found all sorts of interesting places I can go, tried a few out, ones a simple 7 mile route but its fast and narrow one way, wide and hilly the other, so its quite enjoyable, and right on my doorstep, but I could do with a few more miles. think ill grab the map and a pen and mark out some routes later when i have some time and give them a go

Thanks again
    Ian
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Woburn near Milton Keynes has some good trails, some purpose built and some links by bridleways. I can show you around if you wanted as I'm local. There is also an area with a pump track which you can roll all the way round or learn to jump on if you felt like it!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Eyon
    Sounds great nonnac, let me spend a bit more time getting my fitness up and I'll certainly have to take you up on that offer, thanks!
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I wouldn't worry too much about fitness for Woburn - its not too difficult and as the singletrack is in different areas you can make the route as long or as short as you like.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time