Area between Brookwood and Farnborough

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited August 2010 in Routes
We fancied a bit of change so we headed upto the what looks like ex-army area just between Brookwood and Farnborough.

Have to say, it was better than expected, some purpose made trails, wooden bridges and some pretty funky rain channels, there was a see saw.

Anyone else rate this place ?

BTW, got pretty soaked :lol:

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's Tunnel Hill, there's tonnes of stuff in there if you know where to find it.
  • sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    Love the place and God bless the MOD. :D
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • is it an MOD area or has that now all finnished, if MOD still use it where is the areas to go
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I would guess it is ex MoD as you can go freely around it.

Have any of you tried the see saw ?
  • Could still be MOD. I used to live in Church Crookham and cycle round Long Valley/Tweesledown most days. You could use it freely but would occasionally ride past camouflaged soldiers hiding in the woods. After I had cycled past all hell would break loose with gunfire & smoke bombs!

The only time they stopped people going in was when they were doing explosives training with real explosives.

Oh, and they filmed the opening sequence for one of the James Bond films there.

Keith
  • , sshhh keep it quiet, it's a real hidden gem. Awesome place, it extends other side of the canal as well, the Army Cycling Union's Are you tough enough takes place there.
  • The see saw is a source of great fear for me, I only managed once to not fall off, it's very short and steep, and the step at the start means I end up inevitably having to pedal quicky hard near the apex, and at that point, ie the highest point, tend to fall off - LOL

But it's definitely not disused land, still very much in use.

Regards
    William
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    If you want to explore the area more, then it might be worth hooking up with The Tunnel Hill Trolls. They're responsible for a lot of the trails up there, including the see-saw and are a friendly bunch!
  • sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    Definately MOD land. There is one big rule of Tunnel Hill as well. Absolutely no maps to be made of the trails, all knowledge of trails has to be earnt.

Came off the see saw this weekend twice and gained some lovely bar end bruises to the thighs. Third time over was a success. :)

The area to the north of the canal is great fun as well. Best parts for me being Watership Down and Drop in Surgery, whilst my nemisis continues to be the concrete climb to Old Windmill hill. I just can't do it in my head and my legs follow accordinly. :(
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.