racing on carbon on alloy

reddevilcuberider
reddevilcuberider Posts: 41
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
Am going to be riding my first full season nxt year in cat 4s. at present im riding a carbon cube gtc pro compact, with ultegra throughout. My plan s where to change to a double and upgrage my easton vistas rims to a set of even deeper rimmed carbons. I am just waiting on a cycle to work scheme starting up next month where i was going to get a winter/training bike but after talking to an experienced racer he advised me to go for a Cannaondale CAAD9 with upgraded components, his reasons being CAADS great rep plus atleast if crashed the alloy should stay intact where as my carbon cube would be a right off. Some advise please

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you crashed an aluminium frame it's just as likely to be a write off...
  • So what u reckon, zuupp up the cube to race spec and use the cycle to work for a training bike?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To be honest mate, I wouldn't even soup up the cube, get used to racing and replace parts as and when they get damaged in crashes, if you haven't raced before then you'll soon realise that the bike has very little to do with it and you'll be worried about crashing it. Oh, and get a winter bike on C2W...

Maybe treat yourself to the upgrades when you get results or upgrade to Cat 3...

Just my opinion!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Got to agree with Nap, race with what you have atm. My mate is whipping all our butts on his Spesh Allez(the sod's even racing with the biggest saddle pouch you've ever seen) at the Lotus Race series and now the Norwich Crits. Maybe buy yourself some top tyres to give yourself a chance grip wise but other than that it won't matter what you've got unless you have the engine to power it.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    edited August 2010
    NapoleonD wrote:
    if you haven't raced before then you'll soon realise that the bike has very little to do with it

very well said NapD.

Look outside any race HQ and you will see bikes ranging from ridiculously cheap to staggeringly expensive. But the fella riding it is always the deciding factor. Race whatever you have. Yes, crashes do happen, but the chances of crashing are slim - and the chances of doing serious damage to your bike are even slimmer...
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Actually Softlad's just reminded me. A couple of club mates racing last sunday with me had a crash, both riding carbon frame bikes, the only breakage apart from some scuffs to the shifters and saddles was to the shoudler and collarbones of one rider, the frames were untouched.
  • ok cheers guys. Thanks for advice
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    his reasons being CAADS great rep plus atleast if crashed the alloy should stay intact where as my carbon cube would be a right off.

True, but it'll be bent to fcuk. Willhub wrote off his CAAD9 in a race not long a go.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    edited August 2010
    Crashes are likely to happen in any road race, irrespective of the quality of the riders involved and this year's Tour de France is a classic example. However, the riders at Pro level have all their equipment provided at no personal cost.
    On the UK racing scene, unless you're racing at an elite level, all kit and equipment will not be provided.
    I'm not personally involved on the racing scene nowadays but from what I read in the racing section on the Veloriders forum there does appear to be a greater incidence of crashes in 3/4/J races at places such as the Hillingdon/Mallory circuits. Bike checks are no longer carried out and many newbie riders including tri-athletes appear to have no experience at group riding and/or track riding and have distinct lack experience because they havn't been brought up in the club scene and reckless riding is causing too many stack-ups resulting in damage to equipment and, more importantly, personal injury.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    A bloke on a cross bike with 32 spoke wheels and a pump and saddlebag attached won a crit I was in not long ago. He mullered everyone, proving that it's not all about the bike!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Have to agree with JesseD. Seen it on one or two occasions when a bloke on a steel/alloy frame and cheap group set has kicked ass on those with carbon frames and top notch kit.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    JesseD wrote:
    A bloke on a cross bike with 32 spoke wheels and a pump and saddlebag attached won a crit I was in not long ago. He mullered everyone, proving that it's not all about the bike!

That's because he spent all his money on EPO and ephedrine :wink:
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Limburger wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

More importantly, why wasn't he made to remove the saddle bag and pump?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    TommyEss wrote:
    Limburger wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

Don't know, maybe I should complain and get him DQ'd and claim my extra point :D
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Also wouldn't bother going from compact to a standard double for now, I can't see you spinning out a 50 x 12 unless going downhill and in that case just tuck up and enjoy the descent!
  • TommyEss wrote:
    Limburger wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

why does that matter? I just raced with both on at the weekend??
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    TommyEss wrote:
    Limburger wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

why does that matter? I just raced with both on at the weekend??

We had a cycling club members only race at Hillingdon - and were told to take off all the unessentials that might bounce off, apart from bottles, cages and computers - don't race often enough to know if that's normal - but does make some sense I guess.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Deep rimmed carbon wheels for 4th cat racing?

No, don't bother. If you need the tiny advantage, if any, that they would give in a bunch then you are in trouble. :shock:
  • Deep rimmed carbon wheels for 4th cat racing?

No, don't bother. If you need the tiny advantage, if any, that they would give in a bunch then you are in trouble. :shock:
    Alternatively, ride whatever you like, even if it's a £10,000 blinged-up Storck. It's up to you what you want to ride, as long as it's within the rules. Sure, the engine is important, but so is personal enjoyent and choice, however shallow that may appear to some others.

Otherwise we'd all be racing commie-style identical iron fixies painted grey with a Trabant logo on them. Now there's an idea ;)

Saying that, I recall a race in South Africa a couple of years ago was won by a chap on a mountain bike with slick tyres. He sheltered in the draft, then nailed it in the sprint. :D

EDIT: Yikes, he wasn't even on slicks...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/m ... tail-22736
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Well I've inspected my Look 585 after Tuesday's dog incident, and I guess I'll be testing how easy Carbon is to repair now. :evil:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Alternatively, ride whatever you like, even if it's a £10,000 blinged-up Storck. It's up to you what you want to ride, as long as it's within the rules. Sure, the engine is important, but so is personal enjoyent and choice, however shallow that may appear to some others.

Otherwise we'd all be racing commie-style identical iron fixies painted grey with a Trabant logo on them. Now there's an idea ;)

Saying that, I recall a race in South Africa a couple of years ago was won by a chap on a mountain bike with slick tyres. He sheltered in the draft, then nailed it in the sprint. :D

It was actually in Botswana. A bit like saying Scotland is in England :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:

Yeah, my hazy recollection had a some specifics wrong, but the story was there. I am so ashamed. :P
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    amaferanga wrote:

Yeah, my hazy recollection had a some specifics wrong, but the story was there. I am so ashamed. :P

Now I'm not arguing that you need £3000 bike to race 4th Cat, but that story looks to me like a bit of marketing on the part of Whyte. Looking at the results from 2007, the average speed was 34km/h. Assuming this race was of a similar standard then there's no way a pro road cyclist wouldn't have been able to just cruise off the front especially given that Botswana is a flat country - I cycled across it a few years back and only remember seeing one hill in 2 weeks. I wonder if Whyte bought off the local cyclists to let their guy win?
    More problems but still living....
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I'd save the money destined for the carbon wheels for a while - lower-cat races tend to be pretty skittish and the chances of being forced to ride through a whacking big pothole or someone putting their rear mech into the spokes is relatively high.
    Vistas are nice wheels - coupled with good tyres they'll be fine until you there is some reason to view these as a limiting factor then these can become spares/training wheels.
  • amaferanga wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Now I'm not arguing that you need £3000 bike to race 4th Cat, but that story looks to me like a bit of marketing on the part of Whyte. Looking at the results from 2007, the average speed was 34km/h. Assuming this race was of a similar standard then there's no way a pro road cyclist wouldn't have been able to just cruise off the front especially given that Botswana is a flat country - I cycled across it a few years back and only remember seeing one hill in 2 weeks. I wonder if Whyte bought off the local cyclists to let their guy win?

I agree - total set-up.

You only need to read the awful, P.R. scripted quotes from the rider to realise it is a marketing exercise....
    Orange Crush AM 15
    Airnimal Chameleon Ultra
    Planet X Team Alu
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Dess1e wrote:
    Well I've inspected my Look 585 after Tuesday's dog incident, and I guess I'll be testing how easy Carbon is to repair now. :evil:
    Try these, they repaired my Pinarello prince top tube which was cracked, also repaired a few for tohers I know. They do work for MikeBurrows.
    HQ Fibre Products. Tel: 01603 713972 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01603 713972 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Vale Farm Workshop, Blofield Rd, Lingwood, Norwich, Norfolk NR13 4AJ
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e wrote:
    Try these, they repaired my Pinarello prince top tube which was cracked, also repaired a few for tohers I know. They do work for MikeBurrows.
    HQ Fibre Products. Tel: 01603 713972 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01603 713972 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Vale Farm Workshop, Blofield Rd, Lingwood, Norwich, Norfolk NR13 4AJ

Thanks OWM. I have used them before (for the inevitable repair on Zipp wheels), however as the frame is still in it's warrenty period I have sent it back to Look for an initial evaluation and repair if possible. Hopefully it will be back in plenty of time for the Masters' Tour of Mallorca. Using my old Condor in the meantime.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    When is that race? If I loose weight I may try it one year :D Too late this year going to portugal for world masters track.
  • Dess1e
    2nd week in October. I'll probably get dropped for hours on the climbs, but should be fun otherwise.