Puncture resistant tyres v Slime tubes v tyre liners

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
A dilemma...

After a puncture this week forced me to walk four miles (couldn't get the tyre back on easily) I do want to protect myself a bit.

My hybrid is on 700x37s and I'm just weighing up what to go for.

These have been looking like a decent bet to me and are a lot cheaper than Schwalbes...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vitto ... 360010650/

Considering getting Slime filled tubes next time they need replacing but they seem expensive. Unless I get Schrader valves and fill them myself.

Anyone use tyre liners? Struggling to see how they can be that effective.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Which tyres do you presently have?

My personal preference is to go for a resistant tyre. I have the Schwalbe Durano Pluses. £29 each, but they're the nuts.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chadders81
    Awful, awful looking stock tyres that came with the bike.

You're tyres are sexy - that is for sure. But maybe they'd be a bit slick for me as I use canal towpaths and do the occasional bit of off-roading.
  • cjcp
    What about Marathon Pluses?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chadders81
    Aha - they look just the ticket. Found them for £19 as well. Do you reckon I'll be able to squeeze 700x35s on?
  • cjcp
    They're thinner than your existing tyres, so you should be fine.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • +1 for marathon pluses 7000 puncture free miles on mine
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I have been using Marathon plues for years, and touch wood never had a puncture.

Agreed, they are a bit heavier, but they cannot add that many minutes to a commute.

Besides, a punture takes 10-15 mins !
  • jockorr
    jockorr Posts: 17
    Hi,

I used to get about one puncture a week while using my mountain bike for commuting. I had to go through Middlesbrough finest housing estates! I used some slime stuff and have not had a puncture in two years, so that works!

Jock
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    I have used all three, in order of effectiveness I rank them as follows:
    1. Puncture resistant tyres, though some (eg SMP) are more resistant than others
    2. Tyre liners
    3. Slime
  • Griselda
    Griselda Posts: 24
    Just the tread I was after!
    Hi all! I have just decided to get myself a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tyres. But I now am unsure which size I should get, 1.75 x 26 or 2 x 26. I have currently a 2 x 26 tyre fitted. What difference does the 0.25 make? What is your advice?
    Thanks for your comments

Griselda
  • snailracer
    I am not a tyre expert, but 26" tyres might not be compatible with 700 rims.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    snailracer wrote:

They most certainly wouldn't be, however I think that you've confused the OP who has 700c rims with another poster who has bought Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour.
    Griselda wrote:
    What difference does the 0.25 make? What is your advice?

You get slightly more air, so a slightly more cushioned ride which will help if you hit pot holes etc. However I don't know if it makes that much difference. If you're happy with what is currently on the bike I'd go for the same size.
    Steve C
  • snailracer
    sc999cs wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

They most certainly wouldn't be, however I think that you've confused the OP who has 700c rims with another poster who has bought Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour.
    :oops:
    Wait, was the thread hijacked ? :x

:wink: