Chain maintenance

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I have just got myself a Scott hybrid and I am loving every second of commuting the 20 miles round trip to work.

Not ridden a bike since I was a kid and wondering what I need to be doing to look after my chain.

It seems to get filthy because I am doing dusty towpaths which can get muddy in places when it rains.

Just been oiling it with engine oil for my car (it's what my dad told me to do).

Do I need to clean it regularly and if so what with?

I'm guessing some people will be alarmed at my use of engine oil. What should I be doing?

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    edited August 2010
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Just been oiling it with engine oil for my car (it's what my dad told me to do).

Dads eh?

http://bicycletutor.com/chain-lubrication/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Find a bike shop and 'ave a wurd pdq :shock:

Lube is the word you need my friend. From a bike shop not a car shop

And whilst you concerned about the chain, I think the rest of the bike would appreciate a little care too :wink:
  • chadders81
    Thanks for that link. Tomorrow is chain cleaning day.

The chap with the awful hair in that video suggests using a solvent soaked rag to clean the chain. Is some petrol going to be okay?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Thanks for that link. Tomorrow is chain cleaning day.

The chap with the awful hair in that video suggests using a solvent soaked rag to clean the chain. Is some petrol going to be okay?

That'll do it, aye.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Engine oil isn't actually that bad, I've used it a few times when I've had no chain lube to hand, very 'flingy' though so must remember to wipe off all the excess.

A better lube for dusty conditions would be a dry lube like this, goes on wet but drys to a err.... dry finish!

As for cleaning your chain, there's a million different techniques. My favourite is to part fill an old 2 litre pop bottle with degreaser (about 200ml worth), remove the chain from the bike, drop it in, leave to soak a minute then shake well and rinse out well and leave to dry before reinstalling and lubing. Obviously if your chain doesn't have a removeable link then you'll have to clean it on the bike, which will involve brushes, rags and your imagination!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Use as little lube as ypou can get away with, and wipe excess of the outer plates.
  • chadders81
    Thanks very much for your help.

Just wish it would stop raining now.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Whatever you choose to use make sure you wipe all the muck off after every ride, a quick 5 sec rub with a cloth will go a long way to making sure your chain stays clean and shiny.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    And don't forget to clean the bits the chain runs round as well - sprockets, chainrings and jockey wheels on rear derailleur.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition