Wimbledon to Goodmayes (Ilford). Done!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I'll keep this short.

Behind me in my office is my bike.

I road 20miles+ from home (Wimbledon) to work (Goodmayes) in about 1hr 30min.

I loved every minute of it. I used the Kharma.

I can't wait for the ride home.

I'll stop now before I get flamed and criticised for something by the grumble-bums
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Good work - bet you have an immense feeling of satisfaction 8)
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • DonDaddyD
    R_T_A wrote:
    Good work - bet you have an immense feeling of satisfaction 8)

I came in smiling! I forgot the feeling of entering work having just ridden in.

Instead it was replaced with 'thank good, another 8hrs untill I get the train again'. Hopefully never again. Gonna put my Oyster in mothballs.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Well done, Sir! It's always such a relief to be back on the bike.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    good work

Wasn't so hard was it?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I

I road 20miles+ from home (Wimbledon) to work (Goodmayes) in about 1hr 30min.

Wow didn't expect it to happen that quick! Well done, maybe see you on the road sometime....I'll wave as I go past.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Good work DDD. Are you going straight for the 5 days a week or building up (I'd recommend the latter - you've doubled your distance, which will take a bit of adjusting to).

Just need to get those fettling skills up to scratch now, 'cause your bike will wear out twice as fast :shock: :wink:

Will we be seeing you on the Embankment at all or do you just pass through?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    Good work DDD. Are you going straight for the 5 days a week or building up (I'd recommend the latter - you've doubled your distance, which will take a bit of adjusting to).

Just need to get those fettling skills up to scratch now, 'cause your bike will wear out twice as fast :shock: :wink:

I'll probably just do 5 days a week to be honest. I wasn't that unfit to begin (despite what some would say) with and my body has responded well to the inbound journey. Will make a final decision after the outbound journey and when I'm home.

I did have a tweak on the Kharma and the gears seem fine now. Apparently there is a plastic adjuster thingy on the downtube as part of the cable so it was just a case of turning that. I have them on the Giant as well - great for on the commute fettling.

(See I listen to everything everyone says).

Got a bit lost after Stratford, but there is huge potential for variation on my route so I could encorporate a huge section of the Embankment, hell it may even be quicker... Hell maybe I'll even pop into the 'Peth.

Happy days.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I'll probably just do 5 days a week to be honest. I wasn't that unfit to begin (despite what some would say) with and my body has responded well to the inbound journey. Will make a final decision after the outbound journey and when I'm home.

I did have a tweak on the Kharma and the gears seem fine now. Apparently there is a plastic adjuster thingy on the downtube as part of the cable so it was just a case of turning that. I have them on the Giant as well - great for on the commute fettling.

(See I listen to everything everyone says).

Got a bit lost after Stratford, but there is huge potential for variation on my route so I could encorporate a huge section of the Embankment, hell it may even be quicker... Hell maybe I'll even pop into the 'Peth.

Happy days.

Is it wrong that this makes me very happy? A well adjusted bike is a lovesome thing, what!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I can't wait for the ride home.
    ...Oooh, lovely, I look forward to reading the new thread all about it...

:)
  • DonDaddyD
    And I'll be heading home shortly, I'll be sure to tell you all how it went.
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    i am on tenterhooks.

:P
  • DonDaddyD
    OK everyone I'm leaving now, I'll be heading past the Morpeth to see who attended the secret drinks arranged, via PM, by 'Da Clique'
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK everyone I'm leaving now, I'll be heading past the Morpeth to see who attended the secret drinks arranged, via PM, by 'Da Clique'

Who says they still go to the Morpeth ??? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Are you home yet?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude! No talking about you know where ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude! No talking about you know where ;)

Soz dude almost broke the code :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Good work DDD!

I'd advise against jumping straight into the 5 days a week tho, it's gonna be quite a shock to the system - guess you could PT Mon/Fri to bring supplies in to reduce what you need to carry for Tues-Thurs? For that distance I'd also consider getting a lock I could leave at the opposite end to avoid having to lug around 2Kg of lock with me each day as well :-)

One thing tho, aren't you a bit of a sitting duck on the way home, I mean after 30 miles completed already in the day + a full days work (between posting on here :-)) I'd imagine you may be a *tiny* bit less Awesome then normal......having said that I'm sure after a few weeks you'll be into the swing of things and next years Spring Onion will be a veritable walk/ride in the park :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    Should we send out a search party?

Hope you got home alright DDD.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    I got home. Took me an 1hr and 45mins. However to prevent a 2hr journey I had to attack the last 15mins starting at Tooting Broadway.

I'm both a huge fan of the journey and its smallest.

The sun, a low sun, was on me all the way into the City and I couldn't see. There isn't enough cyclists in Essex or East London to truly own the road. Far too many duel carriage ways in that side of London.

Essex (Ilford) and East London could really do with cycle super highways. I've changed my stance on these, with all the branding and tube style maps on the street with the word "cycle" in big, it does now make motorists far more aware of us. Well done Boris.

I was unsure about my route towards and through the city so maybe I was a little agitated.

Bassjunkie,

My bike will be sitting behind me in the office, no need for a lock. On the way back I was running on empty and was desperate for a gel/cliff bar. Fact is I've eaten so much food I now cannot sleep... I'm not sure how a full week will go so I may have a phased return. The goal is to do a full week. Training for next years Sportives.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    @DDD - Have you considered energy drinks/powders rather then gels or food? During the Mag I found the Torq powders agreed with me rather well. They actually do a non-flavoured one that you can mix up with a flavoured drink or your choice or even sprinkle on food to add to the calorific value. As with things like that tho it's all down to personal preference so I imagine you'll perfect your feed/drink routine soon!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited August 2010
    DDD, I did a brief spate of 20m each way commutes from Ealing to Walthamstow, I'd advise you to eat something dreadfully naughty before you leave, you'll burn it off and it'll give you a bit of a kick.

Fortunately I was working at a chocolatier's so had no trouble getting hold of such things.
  • Well done DDD. Respect for just going for it. Welcome back to the road.

I'm looking forward to your accounts of these commutes.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    @BJUK

Just noticed your sig "Who's the daddy?"

I take it all's well?

If there was an announcement thread I've missed it

Congrats
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2010
    Yes, congratulations Bassjunkie!

Thanks to all for all the kind words and advice. After not commuting for 6weeks the hardest part was doing it. That's why I just got on the bike and pointed it North Eastwards, you can tend to over think these things and put up needless barriers.

Oh and yes, LiT, I will be eating something dreadfully naughty before I leave. Yay! Morning Donuts!
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Good work, DDD.

+1 to the above about eating something an hour or so before the return journey. I normally have a banana but as you are travelling a bit further have some cake as well :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Thanks TWH & DDD - I didn't do a proper announcement thread but did slip a mention in on one of the SCR Challenge threads to account for my lack of posting!

All went well and I now have yet another girl who arrived on the 20th last month ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5