Winter Preperations

tptvmbircn
tptvmbircn Posts: 782
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Looking out the window currently and it's horrible and got me thinking this year early preperations for winter. My wardrobe is ready thats not the problem but i'm going to discuss headwear.

A long though about this, I usually wrap a scalf around the lower part of my face, glasses (for night riding) and a CCC under helmet cap - this is my usual setup, i don't really like it at times, you get clammy from your breath which leaves a cold horrible face blast in winter winds, its awkward, constantly adjusting and pulling up the scalf etc and my skin is horrible and nasty when i shave!

I looked at balaclavas and really toying with the idea of a full face helmet and goggles, adding extra protection in the winter, simple and effective. Yes it may look a bit odd but it really takes away the above and imo is the only way to go.

I'm investing in a full suspension and doing routes so will therefore come in hand for the black ones so not just intended for the winter commute to work either.

What are your thoughts? any other ideas perhaps?
Thanks for reading
Terry

Comments

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    I looked at balaclavas and really toying with the idea of a full face helmet and goggles, adding extra protection in the winter, simple and effective. Yes it may look a bit odd but it really takes away the above and imo is the only way to go.

I use a buff. Around my neck only to start with but over my mouth and the top of my head as well when the temperatures start to drop. When things get really cold I've got one that has a windproof layer which keeps my neck even warmer.

Mike
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Get one of these (Helmaclava). Neoprene over the face and a thin cottony material over the rest of it.

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/produc ... goryid=826

The neoprene doesn't get moist in the same way as a buff does and it has lots of small perforations to let your breath out. The thin material means you can still wear a helmet over the top if you want to (if its cold enough to wear this its cold enough for ice on the roads)

I use mine mostly for skiing and on my motorbike in the winter. Iit does need to be pretty cold to see the benefit when cycling (or too cold for motorcycling).

I did try a full face helmet and goggles once when it was snowing and then only because I wanted to take the cross country way to work (all the mud was frozen - awesome fun) but your face still gets cold - goggles were good for the snow glare though :-)

Personally I find a sweatband covering my ears is good for all but the coldest days as I generate enough heat to keep my face warm.
  • tptvmbircn
    great responses, i'm pretty self consious also hense the helmet way, plus like mentioned I hammer the trails myself.

I'm also thinking I could go down faster and do more damage so equipped with knee pads too for underneath the over trousers.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
      Grow a beard.
    Cheers,
    W.
  • Been thinking along similar lines. Jack Frost will come a-knockin' before we know it.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr.....!!

I love that helmaclava. Plenty of stormtrooper comedy potential and giving old ladies heart attacks at zebra crossings...muahahahaaaa....

My face is usually ok. Fingers and ears are the first to go. I have a sweet Cannondale balaclava which does the trick for the cold stuff. Impregnated with carbon so it doesn't stink up too much.

But for autumn, I think I'll have a go at a Buff this year. Can't help you out too much Terry as I'm a tarmac lover.
  • tptvmbircn
    Well i do hit the roads also the work route is 50/50 i would say, would you feel a bit silly with the full helmet on? - cycling on roads i'm aiming at.

I'm on a full rigit MTB full guards and thinking on popping the 2.5 grippy tyres on but i guess pulling away from the image scenario i'll be warm for once haha
  • tptvmbircn
    Hi,
      Grow a beard.
    Cheers,
    W.

haha, the missus hates it :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I cycle in the buff.... errrr.... WITH a buff in Winter. It covers my neck and up to my chin, I also have a thermal neck cover used in the same way and then put my buff over my head to cover my ears on REALLY cold days

I've got a thermal cap which was bought for last Winter but not used due to work and house moves. I'm intending to use that and a buff this year - all roads now, but most of them are quiet(ish) country lanes.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Buffs. the only way to go.

I particularly like the reflective ones for cycling...
    http://www.buffshop.co.uk/?gclid=COG1xL ... 2AodxEm0cg

there's soooo many designs....I want more!!

I wear a buff headband this time of year, normal one in the cold.....and two when it's really cold (one on my head, one round my next/face)....and I also have a silk balaclava for those snowy days :lol:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I use a buff and find it fine for all but the coldest days (but I do get quite warm when I'm riding generally) , for the real chilly days i've got a Gore windstopper balaclava - its brilliant, thin enough to fit under a helmet, pretty discrete, totally warm, 100% windchill proof and doesn't get soggy or cause my glasses to steam up when I have to stop
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    buffs are great all rounders but try a gore face mask instead if you still want to breathe and not end up with a wet/cold area around the mouth/nose.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Thinking of getting a cheap set of CX tyres for my road bike, so I don't have to ride 30 miles on the MTB every time it snows. Anyone thoughts on whether these are likely to fit under my mudguards?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I used a buff, an put it ontop of a beanie this kept me OK down to -12°C
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    A reflective buff?

*Shakes head sadly.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    TGOTB wrote:
    Thinking of getting a cheap set of CX tyres for my road bike, so I don't have to ride 30 miles on the MTB every time it snows. Anyone thoughts on whether these are likely to fit under my mudguards?

depends on the guards and fork clearance, I have 42c max ones on my Tricross but only have 28 or 32c tyres. The extra room due to having a CX bike gives me the option for wider tyres and I may fit 35c CX tyres in the winter (depending on how bad the roads 'round here get)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    TGOTB wrote:

Don't know about a road bike. I'd have thought that the problem would be width of tyres. I can say that my CX tyres fit under the mud guards on my CX bike. They are 32c mind so might be a bit of a stretch to get them past the brakes on a road bike. That said, if I ride through virgin snow I do get a bit of rubbing where the mudguards fill with snow and clog :-)
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I wear a face mask, similar to what skiers/snowboarders wear, with a buff for extra protection. Just bought a pair of Endura Spectrums, with the anti-fog coating and a pair of Spesh Sub Zero's.
  • tptvmbircn
    thanks for all the replies, and hope you got the tyre question sorted out there, sorry i could'nt help.

So i'll try a buff / ski mask, then may try the full face when i get one (going tomorrow about the full susser).

The response has been great! thank you so much

Terry
  • pidism
    pidism Posts: 32
    Try one of these. I had a similar thing made by WINDSTOPPER which i bought for 20 quid from a motorike shop. Covers face, neck, chest. Keeps wind and rain out but you dont get sweaty. Well worth it. :)

http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/shop/pr ... black.html
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Blimey :shock:

What you doing ? a bank job !
  • tptvmbircn
    Haha actually that's a good idea also! i think i'd look more of a bank job with the full face helmet! :lol: