Castle Coombe last night.

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
Did any one race the 3/4 race at castle coombe last night, is it always that fast?

I have been comfortable racing 4th cat this year, but this was mental at times. Average speed was ok at 25mph but the constant accelerations by what I imagine were the better 3rd cats were mental! My top speed registered was 38mph on a flat course. I got dropped after 43 mins of a 50 min + 1 lap race.

Is the gap between 3rd and 4th cat racing that big?? I'm quite disheartened by my poor performance last night. I am 2 points off 3rd cat racing but am wondering if it's better to stay at 4th for now as I don't fancy being blown out the back in every 3rd cat race I enter (all this is assuming I can pick up 2 points somewhere).

Thanks all.

Jesse
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    I would suggest that there were many riders with a 3rd category licence who were experienced riders and who are not interested in being 2nd category licence holders. There may even have been a few ex-1st category riders returning to racing after a few years out of the sport.

Quite a few 3rd category riders, that I've known in the past, don't want to have a 2nd category license because that cuts down the opportunity of racing without travelling further afield. They like to be a big fish in a small pond.

I think you need to carry on in these closed circuit races since it's not unusual for a newbie to struggle in their first 3/4 race with the pace/changes in acceleration but quickly adjust with a bit more training, riding in a group and basic race experience.

Best of luck, stick at it. :wink: