Clipless pedal enquiries?

Mynameisdann
Mynameisdann Posts: 665
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Was just looking at the crank bros eggbeaters and was wondering if they can be used with any pair of riding shoes/cleats

and if so how easy are they to clip in and out of (clips in general not just crank bros)

sorry for the lack of knowledge :p

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Crank bro pedals are real easy to clip into, clipping out isn't too difficult either.

You can use any SPD compatable shoe, as you get the cleat with the pedal.

Clips are easy to clip into and out of, but it does take a bit of practice.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Unlike shimano pedals the tension isn't adjustable though.

Cleats are specific to pedals, but they come with the pedals.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Are all clips somewhat the same, local cyclesuk has a display bike out with shoes clipped on, worth me going down and asking if i can have a try??
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Definitely have a try. I haven't tried Crank Brothers, but I'm sure I've heard there's more float in the design than there is with SPDs.
    That's actually why I never tried them, I never liked the SPD float even!
  • not sure what you mean by float? :X

hopefully i can get some and get on with them :D
  • Anonymous
    float is the amount of movement that it allows your foot on the pedal before it unclips. Like a side to side, and rotational "play".
  • Oh okay well that might be handy for me, i wouldnt want to twitch my foot abit to much and realise my foots come undone :p
  • Yeah I live and swear by clip pedals. They took quite a bit of getting used to when I first started riding them. Don't read that as it's hard though. It's more just about practice. Cycling isn't hard but you have to build up the muscle to be able to ride long distance, and with clipless pedals, you just have to remember to take your feet out of them, and remember the motormovement to get in and out.
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Try them, you'll never look back
  • I had Shimano but they felt really mechanical... i'm not sure how to describe it but they just never inspired confidence.

I now have crankbro's pedals which I've found to be much better. Again I don't know why... personal preference probably lol.
  • Anonymous
    5pudgun wrote:
    Try them, you'll never look back
    Unless you do, in which case you will.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I used Cranks Bros for year, will probably put them back on this winter... personally, I can't use Shimano as they didn't have enough float and knackered my knees - no such problem with Eggbeaters and the like...

One thing to look out for though, the amount of float depends on which way round you put the cleats on - one has a little dot on it and the shoe this is mounted to determines whether you get 5 or 15 degrees.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    I used to be able to do no footers when I was riding SPDs, so yeah they are very easy to get into and out of, even mid air.

I ride flats now though, I prefer them.
  • I've just started to give them a go, went out today for a trial and keeled over as I couldn't unclip when I was coming to a stop. :lol: Too used to riding on flats!
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • Im currently on my 1st set of SPD pedals, and have not looked back since. Currently using shimano's with multi directional release cleats so I can get my feet out quite easily when needed ie when im coming off, and also takes less time to get used to from using flats. My spring tension is set fairly low, so my cleats stay in when going over rough terrain but come out when i need to get my foot down.
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    So all clipless pedals come with the cleats required to attach to the bottom of your shoes? For example, I was looking at some Time pedals in the OnOne sale but there is no mention of them coming with cleats.

Cheers,
    Matt
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    MattMTB wrote:
    So all clipless pedals come with the cleats required to attach to the bottom of your shoes? For example, I was looking at some Time pedals in the OnOne sale but there is no mention of them coming with cleats.

Cheers,
    Matt

Correct they should do Matt as the cleats must match the pedals as all the pedal manufacturers use different designs.

If in doubt though pick up the phone and get in touch with OnOne.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • sdas777
    sdas777 Posts: 29
    clipless peds are awesome, transformed my riding, would definitely recommend you go and try them... the eggbeaters are brilliant for mud riding, so easy to shed mud... however, if you want something a bit sturdier, i just noticed wiggle selling shimano md 520's for £20, no p&p on amazon and these are a great pedal :)
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT
    Giant Defy
  • I tried clipless and hated them, went back to flats within three weeks. Posts on here suggest that they're suitable for everyone, they're not.

I'd definitely try them before you buy if you can.
  • Shaunw1973 wrote:
    I tried clipless and hated them, went back to flats within three weeks. Posts on here suggest that they're suitable for everyone, they're not.

I'd definitely try them before you buy if you can.

It depends on the type of riding you do, they do put alot more power down compared to flats because you don't lose any through feet moving around. They are for everyone, but some don't like them.