I blame rejoining the forum.

Jen J
Jen J Posts: 1,054
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm sure it can't just be a coincidence that this happened just days after I rejoined a bike forum.

I got my first ever puncture.

I felt something was odd when I left the house to bike to the stables, but couldn't work out what it was until I pulled over half a mile from home and saw that my rear tyre was completely flat.

I had nothing with me to fix it, and no idea of what to do anyway, so walked it back home. It meant I was late for riding, so I had to run to the station to catch the train, and still got there late. To top things off, I fell off a horse for the first time in 15 years. :cry:

But it occurred to me that I was quite lucky that I noticed the puncture near home, as otherwise I would have been stranded, up to 10 miles from home, with no option but to walk it back.

So, yes, I need to carry a puncture repair kit. But I also need to learn what to do with it. And need to fix this one, which I may cheat on by taking it back to the tri shop for a service, which I was going to do anyway.

Any volunteers for a basic bike maintenance demo?
Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
Madone

It's all about me...

Comments

• Hmm, unlucky!

For basic maintenance, how about these?

But I'm sure you'll get a lot more sociable offers...
  • Jen J
    Hmm, unlucky!

For basic maintenance, how about these?

But I'm sure you'll get a lot more sociable offers...

That looks really good, I may just do that, thanks.

I did book a bike maintenance course for last January, but as I thought I wasn't ever going to get on a bike again, I gave the place away...

I should really be grateful that it's taken this long to get a puncture.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Ooooh i think i might have to try that session :))
  • Actually, you may want to drag DDD to one, as well. Going by his comments on another thread, he might benefit :wink:
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Jen J wrote:
    I'm sure it can't just be a coincidence that this happened just days after I rejoined a bike forum.

I got my first ever puncture.

I felt something was odd when I left the house to bike to the stables, but couldn't work out what it was until I pulled over half a mile from home and saw that my rear tyre was completely flat.

I had nothing with me to fix it, and no idea of what to do anyway, so walked it back home. It meant I was late for riding, so I had to run to the station to catch the train, and still got there late. To top things off, I fell off a horse for the first time in 15 years. :cry:

But it occurred to me that I was quite lucky that I noticed the puncture near home, as otherwise I would have been stranded, up to 10 miles from home, with no option but to walk it back.

So, yes, I need to carry a puncture repair kit. But I also need to learn what to do with it. And need to fix this one, which I may cheat on by taking it back to the tri shop for a service, which I was going to do anyway.

Any volunteers for a basic bike maintenance demo?

I would, depends can you make it up to Nottingham for the demo? hehehe, yes I'm a Yokel
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Jen, rather than a repair kit I'd carry an inner tube (or two ideally - amazing how often I either break the valve on the first, or fail to get the puncture-villain out of my tyre), levers and a mini-pump with you, perhaps in a saddle bag - then you'll never be caught short and you can even be a good samaritan if you find someone else stuck with a puncture miles from home!
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    biondino wrote:
    Jen, rather than a repair kit I'd carry an inner tube (or two ideally - amazing how often I either break the valve on the first,
    I carry a tube and a patch kit. Rarely need both but there have been a couple of rides (where some glass had worked its way into the tyre and I didn't spot it that I've been glad of both. I just use the spare tube if I'm in a rush or if the weather is rubbish but I'll often take the time to do a patch job if I've got no specific deadline.

I always carry a 700c & a 26in inner tube mostly so I don't have to switch kit around when I change bikes but I have been in a situations before I did this where I couldn't help someone out because the tube I was carrying was the wrong type. Fortunately they had a way out that didn't involve a long walk.

Mike
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I suspect you'll find its because ITB is not on the roads so much atm with his knackered shoulder...

oh and welcome back btw :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Indeed, the PF must be appeased one way or another.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jen J
    biondino wrote:
    Jen, rather than a repair kit I'd carry an inner tube (or two ideally - amazing how often I either break the valve on the first, or fail to get the puncture-villain out of my tyre), levers and a mini-pump with you, perhaps in a saddle bag - then you'll never be caught short and you can even be a good samaritan if you find someone else stuck with a puncture miles from home!

I always used to carry a spare plus the repair kit etc, but haven't got around to putting the saddle bag onto the old roadie yet. Yeah, I know, it'll take about 2 minutes :oops:

But I'd still have the issue of waiting by the side of the road until a good samaritan comes along to show me what to do, or walking back, so I need to get myself trained so I can look after myself. I know (knew?) the theory, just not the practice.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino wrote:
    Light and easy to carry, and generally well received, are the Park Tools self adhesive patches rather than a full rubber-solution-abrasive-chalk-and-patches-kit. They are available from Evans (£3.99 [edit: now £2.99] for 6 in a nice little case the size of a postage stamp), but they have recently price matched me from this store (£2.16).
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I always carry 2 tubes, 2 Co2 canisters, a minipump and tyre levers. Would never dare leave home without that lot.

[/b]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Pah I don't even bother carrying a kit these days but then I'm not cycling either :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Jen, I'm very happy to show you how to do it! It's pretty straightforward - occasionally requires a bit of strength depending on your tyres but the mechanism's the same.

Hit me up yo!