Cycle hire near a trail?

Mynameisdann
Mynameisdann Posts: 665
edited August 2010 in MTB general
just curious as to whether there are any bike hire centres/shops next to any recomended trials, if so could you please ask me where they might be and which shops hire bikes :)?

Cheers

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    near cwmcarn ps cycles hire bikes:

http://www.pscycles.co.uk/cwmcarn-hire-bikes-3879.html

at afan/glyncorrwg skyline cycles hire bikes:

http://www.skylinecycles.co.uk/id34.html

hope that helps you somewhat :D
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    right at the entrance to the Cannock trails is Swinnertons, they have Giants to hire. Literally 25ft from the start of the trail :shock:
  • Thank you :D
  • Thank you :D
  • I know its no where near you but

Dalby has purple mountain literally at the start of the trails.

I believe Kielder also has a purple mountain shop there.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    just curious as to whether there are any bike hire centres/shops next to any recomended trials, if so could you please ask me where they might be and which shops hire bikes :)?

Cheers
    I'm pretty sure most of them do.
    Llandegla, Coed y Brenin, Glentress, Cwmcarn etc etc etc.

Any of the trail "centres" I mean. Some of them are just a trail in the wood, with no facilities, like the Marin trail in Betws y Coed. But then again, even the nearest village there has bikes for hire.
  • Would you recommend i hire a bike similar to one i am used to or go for the best available?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wait, you have a bike?
    Why do you want to hire then?
  • Wait, you have a bike?

I'm assuming he may take a train across country, or drive and not have a rack. Baffled me a bit as well, thats the only thing I can think of.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Wait, you have a bike?

I'm assuming he may take a train across country, or drive and not have a rack. Baffled me a bit as well, thats the only thing I can think of.

Or maybe he plans on taking someone else (who is intrigued as to this biking malarkey,) and the do not have a bike?

Before I had a bike, got taken to Llandegla and hired one to see what I thought.

You can hire bikes from Beics Betws, which is handy for both the Marin & Penmachno
  • Ive got a lefty and a little play bike, would be travelling in a fiesta with 3 other people so no room to take my own bike
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Pedalbikeaway, Forest of Dean trails centre, Gloucestershire.
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    Nearer to you - Bedgebury, near Lamberhurst, Kent.

A bit more low key than the Welsh Centres, but good fun all the same.
    My first ride on a hardtail (as opposed to a fully rigid) took place here, and was enough for me to get the habit.

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • belugabob wrote:
    Nearer to you - Bedgebury, near Lamberhurst, Kent.

A bit more low key than the Welsh Centres, but good fun all the same.
    My first ride on a hardtail (as opposed to a fully rigid) took place here, and was enough for me to get the habit.

Cheers, might try this one first then see about progressing :D
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Although Cannock is probably a bit of a journey for you.

I was looking at the Swinnerton's hire bikes the other day (people who attend my courses and need bike hire get pushed their way) and to be honest, considering they are general use hire bikes, the spec is quite high. SLX components and hydraulic brakes (can't remember which make). It shocked me a bit I was thinking that they wouldn't be a good spec bike.
    Craig Rogers
  • Yeah, i emailed one place and they said the bikes would be 24 speed v braked raleighs :(

and i lived in birmingham for 15 of my 18 years so families down that way so its not to much of a trek :p..cheers
  • It's already been mentioned, but I'd also reccommend Cannop Cycle Centre in the Forest of Dean. It has an excellent cycle hire facility right on site, called Pedalabikeaway
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    Kiblams wrote:
    right at the entrance to the Cannock trails is Swinnertons, they have Giants to hire. Literally 25ft from the start of the trail :shock:

You LIE......its at least 25 yeards! :lol: