Would these forks fit?

teamtomo
teamtomo Posts: 61
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Although i do not have enough money atm, I have found some forks that I would like to put on my gary fisher.

But my question is, will they be good and fit for my bike?

I have 0 knowledge of bike parts so i am pretty clueless

The specs of the new forks are these

Travel:
100mm Travel
Spring:
Coil Spring
Adjustment:
Adjustable Rebound and Lockout
Steerer:
1 1/8th Inch Aluminium
Inner Stanchion:
30mm
Brake Mounting:
6'' postmount (7'' max), V-Brake mounts available separately
Dropouts:
9mm QR

and the specs of my current forks are

Front Suspension Suntour SF9-XCM-V2, 100mm, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown, Hydraulic Lock Out

I need all the help I can get

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes but you will need a new adaptor for the brake and make sure the steerer is long enough.

but what are the forks as they may not be better than you have now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • teamtomo
    teamtomo Posts: 61
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes but you will need a new adaptor for the brake and make sure the steerer is long enough.

but what are the forks as they may not be better than you have now.

Ah cool thanks again
  • I recommend you let us know which forks they are your looking at putting on? Someone already asked, and there is a chance you may just be wasting your money because their the same quality as your forks now.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I recommend you let us know which forks they are your looking at putting on? Someone already asked, and there is a chance you may just be wasting your money because their the same quality as your forks now.

A quick google search for "9mm qr fork 100mm" suggests that whatever it is, they'll be better than the Suntours :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chedabob wrote:
    I recommend you let us know which forks they are your looking at putting on? Someone already asked, and there is a chance you may just be wasting your money because their the same quality as your forks now.

A quick google search for "9mm qr fork 100mm" suggests that whatever it is, they'll be better than the Suntours :lol:

but it could also be describing his current forks. Except for the brake mount.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chedabob wrote:

HAHA very true statement! anything beats a suntour.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    By the stanchions, the forks probably are XCR, 22, MX or MZ or some RST.
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    Be a little wary you mention your forks have custom g2 geometry. I seem to remember some of the gary fisher forks being slightly tweaked and not quite the same s stock.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it'll probably change the handling a fair bit, the g2 has a different trail on the forks doesn't it.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sound like MZ to me. Don't know what other members think, but my guess is that the people at MZ fired all their actual engineers and riders a few years ago, and bought in a circus troop instead. Every fork of theirs I've tried recently was clearly designed by a clown.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.