A bit of fun for you Welsh XC types.

DanEvs
DanEvs Posts: 640
edited September 2010 in XC and Enduro
This might be worth a look for some of you Welsh XC types. Essentially a trail centre timetrial- WILLY WAVING

Comments

• Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I shall lay the gauntlet down to my mates, sure at least one of them will have a crack.

BTW you got quicker recently by any chance?
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    MY GOODNESS! I am An XC God!!!

My best time for the Marin - Llanrwst stilt car park,The trail and back = 1hr 10mins.

But, it was on the older Marin, bout 10yrs back.

Warm, dry, sunny, lno wind...except mine.

But, I must been Flyyyyyyyinnnnngggg on that day.
    ( Airborne Ti frame, original Sid forks, XT/Sram, Pan XC Fires, Thudbuster.
    And about a stone lighter...)
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    BTW you got quicker recently by any chance?

Not really. :P Why'd you ask? :D

How did the L2P go?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Splottboy wrote:
    MY GOODNESS! I am An XC God!!!

My best time for the Marin - Llanrwst stilt car park,The trail and back = 1hr 10mins.

But, it was on the older Marin, bout 10yrs back.

Warm, dry, sunny, lno wind...except mine.

But, I must been Flyyyyyyyinnnnngggg on that day.
    ( Airborne Ti frame, original Sid forks, XT/Sram, Pan XC Fires, Thudbuster.
    And about a stone lighter...)
    Hasn't changed much since, well, forever.

Oh, and I'm faster than every single one of those times. 8)

(no, really I am, I'm not lying!) :lol:
  • Splottboy
    Must be the Welsh lamb, lovely weather or Arnie-thighs we get up here!

Was told local Betws guy did the older Marin sub-45 mins, can't recall his name tho.

I've got such an "exciting" night ahead. Fitting Stans in Tubeliss, after 3 fails...
    If it goes well, first new-bike ride up Cilgwyn quarry Sunday. Can't wait!
  • Anonymous
    Splot, what are you on about with the "older" Marin?
    The first time I rode there was around 15 years ago, and it hasn't changed. At all.

Oh, and I call absolute complete and utter bollocks to doing the Marin in 45 mintues.
    That would mean averaging a speed of over 30Km/h
  • Steve_b77
    DanEvs wrote:
    How did the L2P go?

Really well mate, despite missing out on 4 weeks training in the run up.

Great laugh and cracking scenery.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Bloody Hell, I need to have a proper crack at these trails then, Time to stop dawdling!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Splottboy
    The "older" Marin, before the climbing singletrack was introduced at the start, plus less technical singletrack at the end.

Most the "newer" stuff was built by Leo Sheltinga and Kim Burnham, when they worked for Forest Commission or Forest Enterprise or Forestry Commission...
    whatever they are called at the moment !

Think they both got the chop - pun here! - when FC was undergoing big changes.

Kinda agree with you the 45 mins timing, must av been on speeeeedddd !!!
  • Anonymous
    So, when did the Marin "change"?
    Like I said, I first rode it nearly 15 years ago I think, and it's pretty much the same.

And why in god's name did no-one ever think of getting rid of the uphill stairs bit? :roll:
  • Splottboy
    Changed about 7yrs back, when Dafyd Davis left the FC and went free-lance. First bit was all road, with roady type bit at the end, and middle section had singletrack added. BETTER!

Me and a mate were running the DC Mtb Club, based at the Llanrwst Leisure Centre, so were using it almost every week, if not twice a week.

Parking was an issue from the start, and I believe FC was concerned about cars using the fireroads to access the trail, so cp is where it is etc.

Nant BH should have been the start/finish as far as I'm concerned!
  • Anonymous
    Nah, start/finish is perfect where it is, it means you can do a loop of just the fun last descent.

it can't have changed much surely. There was a large gap between my first few rides on it, and more recently, but I definitely didn't think "hey, this is different" :?
    Or am I just tripping?
  • Splottboy
    The main feel of the trail is the same, and direction of travel, but little bits here and there have improved it a great deal.

Sort of like having home made Apple Tart, with custard AND ice cream!!! Mmmmm...

When Leo left, it wasnt maintained for ages, and I recall riding there with some locals, and they'd - don't know who - put loose slate/shale, on off-cambered corners!
    So...you came down the track, and suddenly you'd hit a section that was very loose, wet, not whakker-plated/packed down. Some of the rider almost came a cropper.

Assume it was to stop erosion but, no signs for repair work being done, trail alterations etc.
  • Anonymous
    Doesn't look like there's any maintenance there now either, either officially or vigilante.
    Some of the off-camber corners have worn away to the bedrock-ish things (those stone slabs that were laid on end into the ground) which coupled with kenda nevegal tyres gives zero traction.
    interesting, fair enough. I don't mind that to be honest.
    But I still don;t rate the trail much.
  • Splottboy
    If this could be linked to Penmachno, which there's talk of, plus over to B Ffestiniog etc, this would give a huge trail base.

DH in BF apparently in the future plans.

Never mind the £400 Trans Wales, there could be a 100 mile Trans Gwynedd, for FREE!
  • Anonymous
    Splottboy wrote:
    DH in BF apparently in the future plans.
    Yep, I've been privvy to some of the information regarding that, and it sounds awesome!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    bloody hell, i know i'm a fat bastard but it took me 2hrs 15 when i did the marin last month!!!!

i thought that was an ok time :shock: :oops:

and sub 45mins for the marin? no way. i think the record at cwmcarn is only 42 mins and that's nearly half the distance
  • Anonymous
    If I remember rightly, the track record for the old Red Bull course in coedy, which was 7 miles or so, was about 45 minutes.
  • Steve_b77
    Just joined up and waved after Coed-y-brenin today :D