Alternative to shimano mineral brake oil?

XCMark
XCMark Posts: 55
edited November 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Just wondering if there is a better value option than the shimano branded stuff? need to shorten the hoses on some deore 595 brakes and i'm guessing they'll need a bleed afterwards but it will hurt me to pay 10 quid for 50 ml of oil.
Many thanks
Mark

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Citroen LMH
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Am I correct in thinking that any mineral oil for brake systems is fine? or are there some that are not recommended for bikes?
  • XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    I'm guessing it needs to be the right viscosity.
    Thanks Nicklouse.
  • nicklouse
    jairaj wrote:
    Am I correct in thinking that any mineral oil for brake systems is fine? or are there some that are not recommended for bikes?

like?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jairaj
    No particular brands. But just wondering if I go into a automotive shop and buy the cheapest hydraulic brake mineral oil they have will it be fine.

I know that some car brake cleaners may not be suitable on bike brakes so going along that line ....
  • nicklouse
    jairaj wrote:
    No particular brands. But just wondering if I go into a automotive shop and buy the cheapest hydraulic brake mineral oil they have will it be fine.

I know that some car brake cleaners may not be suitable on bike brakes so going along that line ....

I can not think of any cheap automotive brake fluid that is mineral.

in fact i can not think of any automotive brake fluid that is mineral.

except for some Rolls's
  • jairaj
    nicklouse wrote:
    ... in fact i can not think of any automotive brake fluid that is mineral.

except for some Rolls's

Ok im confused :? I assumed the Citroen stuff you recommended was automotive brake fluid.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    XCMark wrote:
    it will hurt me to pay 10 quid for 50 ml of oil.

Halfords do a Bikehut one for a Fiver.

Most probably the same stuff as Shimano.
  • nicklouse
    jairaj wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    ... in fact i can not think of any automotive brake fluid that is mineral.

except for some Rolls's

Ok im confused :? I assumed the Citroen stuff you recommended was automotive brake fluid.

nope.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    Most motorbike or motorcross shops will sell you a small (about 125ml) bottle of mineral oil for less than a fiver.
    A lot of bikes, especially dirt bikes like KTM's, run hydraulic clutches which use the same stuff so it's pretty easy to get hold of. Decent brands are Silkolene, Motorex or similar.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    have you tried your local bike shop. got a 250ml bottle for a fiver of some generic stuff.
  • And here in SRAM land I get 1 litre of Dot 4 for a fiver and flush that bastard every month. Just something to consider if you're ever planning to change brakes.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    notydino wrote:
    And here in SRAM land I get 1 litre of Dot 4 for a fiver and flush that bastard every month. Just something to consider if you're ever planning to change brakes.
    Wow, that's some thread resurrection.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    notydino wrote:
    And here in SRAM land I get 1 litre of Dot 4 for a fiver and flush that bastard every month. Just something to consider if you're ever planning to change brakes.
    Wow, that's some thread resurrection.
    And completely pointless as if he'd read the thread he'd realise LHM is the same as mineral oil and happens to be about the same price as DOT4. The difference being LHM isn't hygroscopic so still has a long shelf life once opened, DOT4 starts to deteriorate as soon as the seal is broken.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DOT 4 is glycol, so will destroy Shimano brakes anyway.

In case anyone is tempted and confused.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    cooldad wrote:
    DOT 4 is glycol, so will destroy Shimano brakes anyway.

In case anyone is tempted and confused.
    Good point. For clarity:
    Shimano uses mineral oil which is the same as LHM as used in Citroens, Rollers and quite a few other cars. Shimano stuff is red, LHM is often green. The colour makes no difference it's only a dye.
    DOT4 is glycol based brake fluid, it's hygroscopic and will strip paint so clean up after use.
    The two are not compatible use the one appropriate for your braking system. DOT4 can be mixed with DOT3 or DOT5.1 if necessary. DOT3 has a lower boiling point, 5.1 higher but it absorbs more water and goes off quicker. DOT5 is silicone and cannot be mixed with any of the others.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not that being hydroscopic is an issue in a sealed system like that on an MTB anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not that being hydroscopic is an issue in a sealed system like that on an MTB anyway.
    True, but has some validity if buying a 1 litre bottle and leaving it on a shelf as that could take years to get through.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    True, but the comment was more aimed at the person flushing their brakes monthly for some unknown reason.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.