Ultimate Race of Truth

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Was pootling round town on a Boris Bike at lunchtime, trying to see how many scalps I could get, and it occurred to me that as the bikes are all identical we have the opportunity to do some competition on a totally level playing field.

All we need to do is nominate a course (or maybe a handful of different courses) somewhere within Zone 1, and competitors can post their best times. No excuses about equipment, all times have to be set on a Boris Bike.

Anyone up for this?

EDIT: Official course #1: One lap of Regents Park (either direction)
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yup, I'm game
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Why not?

Laps of Hyde Park maybe?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Whoop!
  • *Waits for news reports on Boris Bikes being found with their tyres in bits as competitors try to get the pressures up to 120 PSI*
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I'm in....

Actually I think this will be interesting....

Who knows Fiziks?

Will big boys cope with the massive mass of Boris Bikes or will the whippets still prevail.....

My Fizique is more Fat Boy than Chris Hoy but I live in hope that the teeny weenies won't have the beans to push the pig iron along.....

(We need to nobble CP - he's mahooosive)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    sounds like there's scope for rules and perhaps an online tracker. I will become rich off the sponsorship!!

My start at the rules:

- you must use a Boris bike as you find it (no adjusting tyre pressures, extra oiling)
    - you must log the time of day against a race claim (no 2am dashes to get the record)

any more
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    davmaggs wrote:
    sounds like there's scope for rules and perhaps an online tracker. I will become rich off the sponsorship!!

My start at the rules:

- you must use a Boris bike as you find it (no adjusting tyre pressures, extra oiling)
    - you must log the time of day against a race claim (no 2am dashes to get the record)

any more

I will lie about my time unless someone watches me who I can't pay off in cheap and filthy "favours" - therefore it's no-one here....

I think we need a mass le-mans start....

Or an endurance race..... How many laps of Hyde Park can be done whilst I drink myself insensible - that kind of thing....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • We could even say you must take a picture of your boris bike receipt to prove your claims!

Viz:

37975_452552205468_732610468_6920823_5813861_n.jpg
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    We could even say you must take a picture of your boris bike receipt to prove your claims!

See it's evloving already. The time to get the bike out and back to the docking station provides the audit trail plus the chance for a record to be ruined by outside forces.

Give it a few days and a lazy journo from a free paper will steal this and write it up as something that is happening.
  • I think the race should include undocking and docking the bike...

EDIT: like the brompton races where you have to unfold it...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    This is an amazingly good idea.
    I think the race should include undocking and docking the bike...

EDIT: like the brompton races where you have to unfold it...

This is also a good idea, you could submit your reciepts to an independant adjudicator.

I might have to travel down to london to have a go at this. 4 am Monday morning should be about right :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    So we need two separate disciplines, how about this:
    1. TT. Time between two nominated docking stations, as determined by receipt. Any route allowed.
    2. SCR. Mass start in the ASL at VBR, go when the lights turn green. Along Embankment to Cheyne Walk, right onto NKR, right again down Edith Grove, back along Embankment and finish outside the Morpeth.

Bikes must be used as found (no changes to tyre pressure).
    Normal SCR rules to be obeyed (no cycling on pavement, RLJ-ing etc)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Should we be pushing this as an Olympic sport ?
  • I like it!

Where shall we have the first TT route?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    great idea, I'm in

if we do it as a loop a group can meet up and tag team it with the bikes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Now that would be stonking publicity shot at the 2012 Olympics... all the cyclist entrants tearing 'round London on a Boris Bike :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    We should call it Clique Racing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • :lol:

Should we have teh first TT as an out-and-out speed run, e.g. along the Embankment, or a slower navigational run, eg through the one-way hell of Mayfair?
  • Clever Pun
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Before or after the drinks? ;)

Must register...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    :lol:

Should we have teh first TT as an out-and-out speed run, e.g. along the Embankment, or a slower navigational run, eg through the one-way hell of Mayfair?
    Hmm, you may have a bit of an advantage in the latter ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:

Hmm, you may have a bit of an advantage in the latter ;)

True true, just an example! I don't know that we'll find any bit of London where someone doesn't have a navigational advantage!

I also think we should precede the Facebook race with our own... the Mall is a great place to do it!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Bah, I've been excluded already. Stupid sign up tool still throws an error stating "Invalid data" every time I try and sign up. And yes, I am making sure that my password is mixed case and contains at least one number and is longer than 8 characters. Stupid discriminatory system :evil:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    The word 'Borace' sprang to me from the ether.
  • jonginge
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Now that would be stonking publicity shot at the 2012 Olympics... all the cyclist entrants tearing 'round London on a Boris Bike :D

+1! And could be a go-er for the Smithfield Nocturne.

Anyway, I'm in.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I want to do this. I'm not sure how it can be achieved practically, but I want to do it. And if someone sets up a receipt based TT championship, I'm totally in. Good for the spin, I'd imagine.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    What about a lap of Regent's Park? That's got to be possible surely? BTW - can we not include the time that it takes to get the sodding bike out of the sodding stands - my 2 keys have worked a grand total of once over the space of this week....