DIY 700c folding chopping up 2 frames help please

grpnpton
grpnpton Posts: 275
edited August 2010 in Road general
Plan to clamp a front triangle to a rear triangle and trying to source suitable parallel clamps i think i'll need at least 3,does anyone know who makes these clamps,trying to find aluminium and i think i'll need at least 3 on the downtube,bike will look a bit silly but could prove an inexpensive lightweight travel bike.

Comments

• GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    S&S couplings may be the thing for you. Not sure where you could buy them from but a lot of frame builders use them. I know Bob Jackson and Thorne use them so you could try enquiring there.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    S&S couplings may be the thing for you. Not sure where you could buy them from but a lot of frame builders use them. I know Bob Jackson and Thorne use them so you could try enquiring there.

Only sold to professional framebuilders, apparently. You would need to find a friendly one!

http://www.sandsmachine.com/
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    I think I read somewhere (can't find the link at the moment) about someone creating their own joints using gas fittings. Might be worth a bit of investigation?

HTH
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW the simplest coupling method is the Ritchey Breakaway - particularly if your frame is steel and you're handy with a brazing torch. You can buy the clamp rings on the Ritchey website. S+S couplings are a serious piece of machining and hugely over-engineered IMO.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..