Fignon Book

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Utter Pish

I'm sorry I know he is fighting his own battles at the mo but my word that is a self aggandizing piece of poop

Blame everyone but yourself and then if there is no one else...only then take a smidgen of blame.

Example..

I said I had the legs
My DS said go then
I said I'll save my legs
DS's fault
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I quite enjoyed it!
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Thought it was really good and honest
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I thought it was good.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He was a flamboyant and exciting rider on the bike and the book reflects this. Not a playboy, just very certain of himself.

It's all been much better than the usual sports bio, the "it was hard but I did well, then I had some bad luck, then I tried again and it worked a bit, before finally I was too old" story.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Kléber wrote:
    He was a flamboyant and exciting rider on the bike and the book reflects this. Not a playboy, just very certain of himself.

It's all been much better than the usual sports bio, the "it was hard but I did well, then I had some bad luck, then I tried again and it worked a bit, before finally I was too old" story.

Those books maybe boring but they tell it like it is - reading the book I felt Fignon feels cheated/bitter about the actions of others which really just masks his own faults
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I'm reading it now, enjoying it immensely.

It's true he takes the stance in some places that he was robbed (eg that Giro), but in others he blames himself. He's human with flaws like the rest of us, at least he's open about it.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    josame wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Those books maybe boring but they tell it like it is - reading the book I felt Fignon feels cheated/bitter about the actions of others which really just masks his own faults

So what you're saying is he's a cyclist then? :lol:
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    josame wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Moser had the organser close high mountain passes in the 1984 Giro on the false pretext of heavy snow as Moser would never have held Fignon there and Moser had Italian TV helicopters blowing him along in the final TT stage too. Fignon is right to be bitter. The TDF 1989 loss was Fignon's responsibility in part. Race radios would have had Fignon informed much earlier to attack Lemond-who was always on his wheel, who he never saw in front of him much in the mountains. Lemond even says the radios would have been enough to lose him the TDF on Alpe D'huez.

The Giro 1984 is up there with Delgado's Vuelta 1985 win was cycling equaivilent of a mugging, the way the race ganged up on Millar, time checks stopped, Delgado possibly was motor paced according to Kelly's account of how Pedro and Recio pulled away from a pursuing Kas team, as well as other Spanish teams who wouldn't chase. Robert Millar was cheated out of the win there.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think Lemond also claimed that Fignon held onto a motorcycle when he was getting dropped over one of the Pyrenean mountain passes.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    DaveyL wrote:
    I think Lemond also claimed that Fignon held onto a motorcycle when he was getting dropped over one of the Pyrenean mountain passes.
    That's right. I never heard it said at the time, but I'll bet Fignon doesn't agree.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Just finished it. i thought it was quite good if a little light weight. i was expecting more juicy gossip about his rivals. I think he was always more bitter about his own form rather than others. Apart from the obvious Giro travesty.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    DaveyL wrote:

Apparently there were a fair few riders doing this, including Cavendish, in this year's Tour, according to what Fignon had heard being said. He was saying how it cheats sprinters who are better climbers and there should be more commisaires towards the back.

I haven't read the book but I would get it based on Fignon's TdF commentary alone. Was so pleasing to be able to listen to his insights on tactics and history and hemade no mistakes picking out riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    great book, so open and honest
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good book and he does set out two sides to everything - his side and the wrong side. At least it isn't bland. Not sure I'd go with open and honest though - he skirts over the doping issue a bit - correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the only time he admit to doping is when he holds his hands up to a positive test ? I can't believe he doesn't have a few more doubts about his own choices at times too but maybe that is just how he is.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • little under a 1/4 of the way through this and its becoming a firm favorite already.
    His reflection on the personalities is the most interesting factor for me, he does not pull any punches whatsoever.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Finished it now, in conclusion he seems like he falls out with people quite easily - but who among us is perfect? (Apart from me obviously.) I'll try and keep his tenacity in my mind during Thursday's TT.