Tyre came off rim... I came off bike...

paulbox
paulbox Posts: 1,203
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Bit of a nightmare on the way home from work this evening, taking a left at a busy junction when my tyre (stock Maxxis Crossmark) decided to turn itself inside out. I ended up on my arse in the middle of the junction, luckily nothing hit me.

Has anybody seen this happen before? My pressures were fine. I now have a 2-3" tear in my tyre, right on the bead, not sure if this was the cause or a result of the incident.

My commute is either 23 miles by road it 9 road & 16 tow path. As I have slicks on my "commuter" I was using my Anthem, a lot of rain overnight meant slippery tow paths on slicks...

Me and the bike are a bit battered and bruised, but it could have been a lot worse...
XC: Giant Anthem X
Fun: Yeti SB66
Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets

Comments

• sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    PaulBox wrote:
    My pressures were fine
    what pressure (about)?
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I managed to roll my Larsen TT off the rim the other weekend. Think i clipped a root on a trail, and it finally rolled off on the fire road in between routes. Don't know if folding tyres are easier to pop off?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Tolk wrote:
    I managed to roll my Larsen TT off the rim the other weekend. Think i clipped a root on a trail, and it finally rolled off on the fire road in between routes. Don't know if folding tyres are easier to pop off?
    I've heard of folding ones coming off more than wire bead ones. They're bloody hard enough to get on as well! :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paulbox
    supersonic wrote:
    UST?

You've lost me... :?
  • paulbox
    edited August 2010
    sm1thson wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    My pressures were fine
    what pressure (about)?

To be honest, I've not got a clue... You know when they just look and feel right (I don't have a pressure guage for these valves).
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    PaulBox wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    UST?

Universal Standard Tubeless (or something like that). They're built to work without an inner tube.
  • paulbox
    chedabob wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    UST?

Universal Standard Tubeless (or something like that). They're built to work without an inner tube.

Oh ta, no mine have tubes.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    PaulBox wrote:
    chedabob wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    UST?

Are they UST tyres and/or rims though?
  • paulbox
    This is what the wheel, tube & tyre looked like straight afterwards, they were so tight it took some effort to get them off.

Tyreinsideout.jpg
  • paulbox
    chedabob wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    chedabob wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    UST?

Are they UST tyres and/or rims though?

I've got no idea mate, Mavic 317 rims, everything is as it came from the shop.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Most likely cause is a puncture that you didn't notice, shortly before making the turn.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • paulbox
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Most likely cause is a puncture that you didn't notice, shortly before making the turn.

That's what I've been thinking, but it would have had to go down pretty quickly. Might inspect the tube tonight to see if I can see another hole.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Fixed my first puncture on my new bike (4 weeks old) and noticed when I inflated the new tube it was pushing the tyre up off the rim, roughly where the valve is. I had to give the tyre a healthy whack with the palm of my hand to seat the bead onto the wheel rim.

Never seen that happen before and fixed countless punctures on my old bike. I'm not that confident in the tyre and rim set up and expecting it pop out. This was yesterday and rode a bit of Oxney Moss track (lots of downhill knarly tree root sections) and it held up, no doubt it will pop out when I'm least expecting it.

The tyres are Conti Mountain King 2.3 on Mavic 117 rims.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    booldawg wrote:
    Fixed my first puncture on my new bike (4 weeks old) and noticed when I inflated the new tube it was pushing the tyre up off the rim, roughly where the valve is. I had to give the tyre a healthy whack with the palm of my hand to seat the bead onto the wheel rim.

Never seen that happen before and fixed countless punctures on my old bike. I'm not that confident in the tyre and rim set up and expecting it pop out. This was yesterday and rode a bit of Oxney Moss track (lots of downhill knarly tree root sections) and it held up, no doubt it will pop out when I'm least expecting it.

The tyres are Conti Mountain King 2.3 on Mavic 117 rims.

Thats Just poor fitting of the tyre, You should always look out for this when inflating, you did the correct thing by hitting it to reseat the bead. if youve ridden on it, it should certainly be seated properley now, so dont worry at all.