Which pedals for a folding bike

mkchu84
mkchu84 Posts: 41
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
I have a Dahon Vitesse D7 which I use on a ride-train-ride commute, which I love. The only gripe I have at the moment is the pedals. The stock plastic folding pedals have almost no grip and are even worse in the wet. I was thinking of putting a set of one-sided spds on it since I like riding spds on the road bike and mtb but thought I'd see if there were any other options. Any other foldy riders out there? What pedals do you use?

Comments

• landrew
    landrew Posts: 69
    MKS make some removable pedals (both flat and clipless). The clipless pedals are quite heavy though.

If the pedals don't get in the way when the bike is folded I would just put a set of normal SPD pedasls on. This is what I use on my Dahon Cadenza.

Alternatively you could also look at getting a pair of shoes that have more grip (such as Five Tens).
    Andy
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Hi
    I used to use some old Shimano SPD's (similar to M520) on a Brompton a few years ago.
    They didn't fold - but they are not very big compared to conventional pedals- so that wasn't a problem.

They worked fine & the bike still folded OK.

In my case I used to wear SPD shoes on the bike & kept some decent shoes at work

I say it was win-win result as I didn't ruin my work shoes & got better grip when on the bike.

Mike
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Got one of them too, and have the same gripe - they are lethal in the wet. I will be swapping them for some M520s when I get round to it. They are small enough not to get in the way even though they don't fold.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    M520's on my birdy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    M520's would be my suggestion, or there are some one sided SPD on ebay that have a rubber grip insert on the non SPD side which wshould give better grip!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    +1 for MKS removable pedals if you can afford them - could chuck on those power toe grip things as well.
  • mkchu84
    mkchu84 Posts: 41
    I saw the MKS ones but they are a bit pricey. I saw some single sided spd - metal cage type pedals in the lbs today and they seemed pretty heavy. I'll probably borrow the m520s off the mtb for now.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Cheap Shimano SPD pedals double sided should do the job.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.