New rider, new bike, new pedals

notesguru99
notesguru99 Posts: 5
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello everyone,

just joined this forum after getting back the buzz for biking! I'm only riding to work at the moment on my 12 year old claud butler :? but I really fancy some cross country riding and living in Lancashire gives me plenty of opportunities, Grisdale forrest looks a good starter!
Anyhow, I really would value your opinions on a few things...

I'm looking at upgrading to either a Focus killer bee ltd edition 2010 or a Kona Cinder Cone 2009 model of bike? If anyone has any experience or opinions of the 2 bikes I would really appreciate your input.

Also, I noticed that both bikes (from wiggle and paulscycles) either dont come with pedals or the pedals that are installed arent upto much. My old claud has toe clip pedals and I find it useful when riding uphill (I know I should concentrate on my power push down but I am an unfit newbie :wink: ). Can anyone recommend a decent set of pedals that would be in the range of either bike? And are they easy to fit yourself? My bike fixing skills only extend as far as punctures and chains!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Pedals are dead easy to fit. You just need a pedal wrench to fit them, and one of them has a reversed thread which is a bit confusing.

If you found toe clips useful, SPDs might be a good option. Personally, they scare the living daylights out of me, but a lot of people have said they're good out on the trails. You can pick up the pedals (Shimano M520) for about £20, and shoes from £30+.

If you want flats, Wellgo V12s are highly rated.
  • Thanks for the quick response.

I've not actually considered stb pedals as I have no experience with anything other than my toe clips, but I see that the shimano pedals you mentioned are reasonably priced and after reading the blurb on spd I understand why they are better than a clip.

Thanks again.
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    As for fitting the pedals, most of the time all you need is a 15mm spanner and to realise one of the pedals has a reversed thread. i just can't remember which one!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Left pedal (non drive side) has reversed thread.
  • Hey man! Glad you got the buzz back!

SPD pedals just like the others have said would be my recommendation. It does take some getting used to being clipped in, and even longer to remember to unclip yourself when you stop, but it's easily learned, and the power advantage from them is amazing in my opinion. Plus not having your feet slip off the pedal if you hit a bump you weren't expecting can make all the difference.

The mounting is easy, my mrs has problems even locking a bike up properly, and was able to change out the pedals. All you need to do is unscrew them and them put the new ones on. Basically as easy to install as a bottle holder, just remember the left side (non-drive side) is reversed thread. If left side doesnt tighten one way, just try it the other way and it will go in!

Best of luck on your new purchase!
  • Hey man! Glad you got the buzz back!

SPD pedals just like the others have said would be my recommendation. It does take some getting used to being clipped in, and even longer to remember to unclip yourself when you stop, but it's easily learned, and the power advantage from them is amazing in my opinion. Plus not having your feet slip off the pedal if you hit a bump you weren't expecting can make all the difference.

The mounting is easy, my mrs has problems even locking a bike up properly, and was able to change out the pedals. All you need to do is unscrew them and them put the new ones on. Basically as easy to install as a bottle holder, just remember the left side (non-drive side) is reversed thread. If left side doesnt tighten one way, just try it the other way and it will go in!

Best of luck on your new purchase!
  • Thanks guys

think I will go with the shimano m324 combination pedal, so that I can try out the shoe and still be able to pedal in normal trainers.

Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're used to toe clips, then SPDs are a logical step forwards.
    Nothing wrong with sticking to flats either though, just personal choice.

BUT, toe clips can be just plain dangerous, if used properly, and worthless if they're not.
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    as above its the left pedal with reverse thread. the axel may be marked 'L' if not the axel will be marked / kindof knurled to show the left reverse threaded one. Really you should use 'copper slip' grease (you can buy it in a car parts shop in a small tube) the threads (as you have two different metals interfacing and the coper slip stops them reacting and seizing together)
  • thanks for the advice, I will get myself some grease.

just bit the bullet and purchased the m324 pedals to go with the focus killer bee bike!

can't wait!!
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Both pedals undo towards the back wheel with bike upright