2 way street campaign

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Hopefully, because it's CTC and not LCC, this campaign really is about it being a two-way street.

LCC (in general) seem to just give off the wrong message - it's never the cyclists fault etc.

There are some great things happenning now in London with Trixi mirrors being installed at certain junctions, also more and more lorries announcing that they are turning left, fresnel lenses in the left window etc. It's great that the BorisBikes have a warning on the handlebars, but still you see cyclists hopping up the inside of trucks at junctions.

The vast majority of lorry drivers are extremely competent, they've taken more driving tests than most other road users, have their speed and other data constantly monitored.

Sure there are bad lorry drivers, but on the whole, they have to be the best drivers on the road.

But still people think it's okay to duck behind a reversing truck, scoot up the left etc. Having driven trucks quite a bit when I was younger (only 7.5 tonne box - nothing super-big) it gave me a great understanding of how many blind spots there are on a truck - particularly down the left.

Hopefully this campaign will impress on cyclists that no matter how many safety devices are added onto the trucks and street furniture, just don't put your self in danger and stay well away from the left of trucks. More cyclists need to sit in the cab of a truck and realise how easy it is for a driver to not be able to see them once they've gone up the inside of the truck.

All in all, i hope this is a two-sided campaign as I do get a little sick of LCC, in particular, preaching that it's all fault of everyone else and that a cyclist couldn't possibly be to blaim for anything.