BorisBike route suggestions please?

dcurzon
dcurzon Posts: 290
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all
I come into That London via the central line from Epping (cycle/drive the 6miles to Epping).
There are 2 locations in London where i need to get to, Covent Garden (over the next 3 weeks), and Paddington (from then onwards).
I know that there are bays at Holborn/Drury Lane (for Covent Garden) and also at Lancaster Gate (10 minutes walk from where i am at Paddington) - there may be better located docks nearer that i havent seen.

I want to avoid zone 1 by train, as this alone will save me £2 each way on my oyster!

So, where can i get off the central line, not in zone 1, and easily pick up a boris?
How difficult would the route to CG/Padd be? Distance/time?

I dont have an iphone, so apps wont help me out.

thankyou
B'Twin Sport 1
FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Check the map at this link out and all will be revealed.

https://web.barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk/maps
  • I don't know that there are any bike collection spots outside Zone 1...
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Royal London Hospital Whitechapel. You will need to change to the District line at Mile End and get off at Whitechapel to pick up a Bobike.
  • http://www.londoncyclehire.org/ gives you the docking bays and will make route and time suggestions from bay to bay.

It's odd that the barclays cyclehire map still lists the non-existent bay under the north bank of Tower Bridge as being Brushfield Street. Londoncyclehire duplicate the same error.
  • any
    any Posts: 2
    Whitechapel seconded, although you'd have to be quite early; it seems to be a popular one for people coming from zone 2 to bike into town on..
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    http://www.londoncyclehire.org/ gives you the docking bays and will make route and time suggestions from bay to bay.

It's odd that the barclays cyclehire map still lists the non-existent bay under the north bank of Tower Bridge as being Brushfield Street. Londoncyclehire duplicate the same error.

Do you mean by the tube station on Tower Hill Road?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    http://www.londoncyclehire.org/ gives you the docking bays and will make route and time suggestions from bay to bay.

No, I think the Tower Hill one is actually there, but it you look south of there, the barclay's map shows a bay almost under the north bank of Tower Bridge - more or less where the stairs from riverside to bridge are. I was down there last week and there's no bay there. Also, if you hover the cursor over that point on the map, it tells you it's by Liverpool Street...
  • Clever Pun wrote:

No, I think the Tower Hill one is actually there, but it you look south of there, the barclay's map shows a bay almost under the north bank of Tower Bridge - more or less where the stairs from riverside to bridge are. I was down there last week and there's no bay there. Also, if you hover the cursor over that point on the map, it tells you it's by Liverpool Street...
    I guess that the database info of all of the bays includes mapping/GPS/latitude longitude or similar, and that there has been some type of corruption of the data (remember, although it is a map, it is stored as references and the map redrawn from that; all it takes is a typo or misread...). I think that there are a few others around the map. If I could be bothered, I'd email to ask them how to report such anomylies. They are a pain as it makes the map unreliable.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    thanks all, apologies, i was in mid-reply yesterday after LiT's post near the top, but family emergency had me dashing out of the office and i only today realised i hadnt actually hit the 'post' button!

i can walk to whitechapel from Bethnal Green (about 8 mins) then approx 15mins (3 miles) to Covent Garden (hmmm, 12mph average on one of those? a little optimistic)
    and i think it said 6 miles to Paddington, suggested 35mins. So i'd have a cheeky stop on the way instead of paying a squid :)

have ordered my boriskey, decided to get a 1week membership just to try it out, and if its all gravy, i'll change to a year. just sitting waiting for the key now, hope they dont take too long!

theres 3 bays in whitechapel, so im sure one of them will have a bike at approx 8:00am, fingers crossed!
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    you can make the 30 mins for 6 miles when you have your route set... I did sub 30 for the same distance including 3 stops to find out which road I needed to take
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14