maybe tempting fate

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
so, this morning was my first experience of commuting with SPDs. proud to say I didn't fall off once. no doubt I will do on the way home or sometime when I'm not concentrating so much!!! so, if you see a lady laughing at herself on the floor (or crying in embarrassment) please pick me up....I'm on a mtb btw.....just getting used to clipping before putting them on my new road bike :lol:

Comments

• Good on you!

You have the spring wound all the way to 'loose', right? If so you can probably haul your foot out of them any which way you like in an emergency...
  • thanks! yeah, they're as loose as they'll go and getting in and out of them is much easier than I ever imagined. slow speed stop start in traffic is interesting though, will be developing the knack of peddling with one foot
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I usually put my foot on the pedal forward enough so that the cleat is off the front of the pedal in that kind of traffic. Means you can still pedal without ending up clipping in accidentally.
  • Yep, me too, if I miss the clip-in (and it still happens occasionally, even 5 years later) I put the arch of my foot on the pedal and try again next rotation.

I do find riding a fixed gear helps with one-foot pedalling... unless it's my left foot that has to pedal in which case I'm completely stuffed!

:lol:
  • I had thought that sort of technique would be worth a try....thanks :)
    any other hints and tips?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Good going CB!

I need to make that change too but I'm a wimp :roll:
  • Only one tip, and that's to possibly check out multi-release cleats. SH-51 and 52 cleats are single-release, ie you have to swing your heels outwards to get out of them.

The other ones are multi release, so you can swing your heel inward and upward as well.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    The fall will come! It always comes. Consdier it a right of passage! Glad that it's working out tho - you won't go back!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    When I first started with SPDs, I'd unclip a few yards before I stopped, so I was sure I had one foot free to stand on when I came to a standstill. Gives you the extra assurance you're not going to forget, although you do need to remember to lean that way!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ketsbaia wrote:
    When I first started with SPDs, I'd unclip a few yards before I stopped, so I was sure I had one foot free to stand on when I came to a standstill. Gives you the extra assurance you're not going to forget, although you do need to remember to lean that way!

Yes..... :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    ketsbaia wrote:

Yes..... :oops:

:oops: :oops: :oops:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    aye. Don't worry about clipping in too much.. I can usually clip in my putting the arch of my foot over the pedal, pedalling for a bit, then sliding my foot back over the pedal and clipping in backwards. Forwards is usually easier for me though.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • As others have said in previous threads, the danger really comes not now while you are conscious of them, but in a couple of weeks time. You have just started to use the cleats naturally, glide to a halt, and suddenly panic as you remember you are clipped in :twisted:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    As others have said in previous threads, the danger really comes not now while you are conscious of them, but in a couple of weeks time. You have just started to use the cleats naturally, glide to a halt, and suddenly panic as you remember you are clipped in :twisted:

Yes.... :oops:

(look just shut up the lot of you)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • thanks for the replies and encouragement....I have absolutely no doubt that the fall will come....here's hoping for a soft grassy verge or crowd of peds to land on :lol:

CW.....get yourself a pair....tis not as scary as the mind lets you think....honest. and apparently, if you don't fall you're not trying hard enough!!!