Young family and busy job vs The Etape

Hi

I am as keen a cyclist as a 40-something year old can be with a young family and a boss Id rather not annoy in the current economic climate :)

My Saturdays are full of kids swimming/dancing/football and my Sundays full of wholesome family picnics, visiting rellies, etc etc etc

Oh and the dog gets some quality time in there as well LOL

I have ben thinking that the Etape (or Maratona or Marmotte etc etc) is something that I would like to do at least once in my life and Im keen to hear from anyone else in my position as regards time for training

I can guarantee at least one 3h ride a week
I am fortunate to have decent lights so this isnt necessarily governed by daylight
I can also probably manage 2-3 turbo sessions of possibly 1-2h each

Most evenings I get home late so by the time I have helped put the kids to bed and then eaten a major ride is out of the question

I cannot be the only middle aged saddo in this position so Im very keen to get some encouragement from any one else with similar circumstances

When I eventually enter the Etape it will be to finish in decent time not just to go away for a few days and drink some foreign beer :)

Cheers/Sante

Comments

• BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I went through the same dilema and eventually did a deal with MrsG to let me and a couple of mates have an annual cycling long weekend instead of the Etape (or the like). Discussion was that it meant that we didn't need to commit to the regular big training rides but we do get to do come col bagging each year.

Not the answer but an alternative if it doesn't work out.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I think it can be done, but it isn't always easy.
    I did avg 3 rides per week in the run up to this years Etape - tue and wed I squeezed in a couple of hours while the 3 big kids were at school and my youngest was at playgroup. On Sunday, I did a club run of 3-5 hours (managed that perhaps every other weekend). From March to June, I did one sportive per month. That probably amounts to a little bit more than you're talking about though.
    If you can get your 2 midweek rides in, then on Sunday get up early and get in a longer ride - I think it should be possible. Before the Etape, I think you should also do a few sportives of 100 miles or more - you'd need to negotiate that.
    I do like BigG67's idea of a weekend of col bagging instead of L'etape - sounds like a really good alternative if fitting in the longer rides is a problem.
    Good luck :)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Why the Etape? It's over-hyped and expensive. Instead why not go to eg Majorca with wife/kids/mates and have a family holiday. Places like clubpollensa or pollensapark are all set up for this. Similarly Riccione in Italy and hotels like the Belvedere give you access to the Nove Colle fondo or the GF Pantani and you get to ride in the week as well.
    The Etape is a challenge but it is a big event, often difficult and/or expensive to get to. An Italian or French sportive could be a better move in that your family get a holiday and you get to ride the bike - this works particularly well in Riccione.
    M.Rushton
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited August 2010
    I have the same family size as you. I manage about 250 miles per week.

Commute into work and up at the crack of dawn at weekends to get rides in.

Turbo in the winter and agreement is I do one sportive per month.

With determination and good planning it can be done.

Agree with MrRushton about the Etape.

I'm looking at combining a family get away with an Italian Gran Fondo
  • A chap at work has done the etape 2 years in a row. As much as I would like to do a stage of the tour I think I would rather do it on my terms and avoid the potential crappy nights sleep in a small hot bx,with crap food and a half black banana helf way round( I am sure all operators arent like this but his have certainly been entertaining)

It sounds like it can be heaven or hell depending on who you go with. As for training it will definitely required plenty. So good luck.

Good thing about family is it is about compromise so I am sure you can barter a deal.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • A chap at work has done the etape 2 years in a row. As much as I would like to do a stage of the tour I think I would rather do it on my terms and avoid the potential crappy nights sleep in a small hot bx,with crap food and a half black banana helf way round( I am sure all operators arent like this but his have certainly been entertaining)

It sounds like it can be heaven or hell depending on who you go with. As for training it will definitely required plenty. So good luck.

Good thing about family is it is about compromise so I am sure you can barter a deal.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    No need to do sportives or go on an expensive "etape preapartion" holiday before you do
    etape. There are plenty of 200 km (and 300 km) audaxes throughout the year. I did one or
    two per month (Nov - May) in preparation for my recent (successful) attempt at the Marmotte.
    The above and weekly club ride (60 -80 miles) was enough. I'm no youngster either.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Again, why the Etape? It's nothing that special, you will find other events. Why not aim for an intermediate event in the UK first, maybe the Dragon Ride or the Fred Whitton and see how you get on. This way, if it doesn't work, you haven't dropped the best part of a grand on a weekend ride.

As for your training, it depends on your talent and experience. Some people can cope with less training, others need a lot of miles to gain fitness, and confidence too.
  • Many thanks for your comments
    Keep 'em coming

The Etape is something I have purposefully avoided for all of the reasons described above and then some more on top!

However its just something that has been nagging away at me and although the Maratona is an option it just has to be the Etape really as something to do once and then put away mentally

I have actually spent the last few years away with the lads for the aforementioned long weekends, in fact this year we did Tourmalet via Aspin amongst others which is where my new curiosity comes from

And I loath turbo sessions :(

Cheers!!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I did the Marmotte this year, am 41 and have wife, busy job and two kids to support.

I'm afraid the turbo comes into its own in these situations. And you have to barter at the weekends and build up a world of brownie points. But it's do-able. In the months leading up to the event, I gradually built up the mileage I was doing at the weekends, but mid week was turbo only (combined with regular commuting). Throw in a couple of sportives (Dragon Ride, Magnificat) to get a bit of experience and that was that.

See the link in my sig for more on how I managed it.

And good luck. It's a tough one and I'm now having to pay back a lot of the goodwill I used up.

But it's worth it.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I'm in a very similar situation.

I started to ride to work a couple of times a week. Gets the miles in and is pretty time efficient.

I also start early on a weekend. I get up and go out at 0715 on a Sunday morning. I won't pretend it's easy to drag yourself out of bed at that time but it works for me. I usually do 3 to 4 hours so I'm back before lunch. There is no stopping at a cafe for cake and tea either as I would rather spend what time I have riding. I'm lucky in that I have a couple of mates in a similar situation so there are usually a couple of us out.

I also hated the turbo, but I have now realised it's vital to use it if I am going to get any better at this cycling lark.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Mid-40s with family (wife and child) and have done the last 2 Etapes.

For me it was a lot of structured turbo training during the week and rides on the weekend. For the Etape I think you will need to commit to longer rides than 3 hours in the months prior to the event - sportives in the UK are a good way to get longer rides in the bag from April through to July.

It is a memorable event and although it is far from a perfect set-up (over-crowding, variable quality tour operators etc) it has provided me with some great memories. The last km up the Tourmalet, knowing I was going to finish was a great feeling and whilst you can climb the Tourmalet most days in the summer it is a bit special on a closed road, with other competitors around you and spectators urging you on.
  • There are events in cycling that have a significant aura about them and the etape is one of them. Just like riding Alpe D'Huez or Mt Ventoux or whatever floats your boat.

There are plenty of folks here that thrive on b*tching about stuff. Ignore them set your target and go for it. I did this years etape and loved the experience.

I was faced with work challenges that ultimately meant no long rides on the weekends. My training consisted solely of commuting to/from work and whatever time I could get on the trainer or in the gym.

Things that I learnt from this approach:

holistic approach, include a good diet, good sleep etc
    recovery days, break up really intense exercise with planned recovery days
    include exercise that target the supporting muscles - swiss balls very effective
    weights (do work), focus on light weights and lots of repetition

By including these elements into really extreme but short exercise periods I was able to tackle both the Marmotte and the Etape this year - and finish! TBH I was stuffed by the end of the Tourmalet.

But I would have preferred including long weekend rides as part of that but ce la vie
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    similar to few posts above mid 40's 2 two young kids

I did the marmotte this year so yes doable as etape similar, but obviously hard to fit in the miles round the family and work.

As others have said good to have agreed time slots for training and use them to the max- that's where the turbo comes in handy for replicating the long efforts required

looking at my riding log I averaged just over 6 hours riding per week in the 12 months before the marmotte . I did generally 1-2 hour hard rides with one and occasionally two, longer rides per month 50- 80miles. I did one 100 mile Uk sportive ride as prep.

for me was enough to get round without dying, albeit fairly slowly but everyones different and depends on your goal and how much you think you need to do.
  • Hi

I am as keen a cyclist as a 40-something year old can be with a young family and a boss Id rather not annoy in the current economic climate :)

My Saturdays are full of kids swimming/dancing/football and my Sundays full of wholesome family picnics, visiting rellies, etc etc etc

Most evenings I get home late so by the time I have helped put the kids to bed ..
    I cannot be the only middle aged saddo in this position so Im very keen to get some encouragement from any one else with similar circumstances

When I eventually enter the Etape it will be to finish in decent time not just to go away for a few days and drink some foreign beer :)
    Cheers/Sante

Totally OT so apologies - I'll keep it short.
    You don't sound like The God of Hell Fire to me. If I may say, you sound like a jolly nice chap. A Doors fan maybe, even a bit young to be one of those. I was expecting some sort of trolling OP with a name like that. I'll get me coat...
  • my 2c.......30's, young family, v.busy job (80+hours a week). Did the etape this year on the back of 2 X 1hr turbo sessions mid week, a club spin on sat (100kish) and another hour turbo on sunday. 6hrs a week and easily doable. If anything, i would drop the sat lsd spin and do more intervals. easy enough to cycle in groups on the flat but the climbs go on and on and you need to be able for that prolonged intensity....hence the turbo sessions.

As for the etape....loved it. There is a certain aura about the event that other sportives dosent match. If thats your goal, its a worthy one and im confident you wont be disappointed. Last advice....dont start your focused training too early, jan/feb would be fine and when you do start, have a structured plan in place so you know what youre doing (and why) every session

enjoy
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    these are my tips FWIW

invest in a decent home trainer and do most of your training on it. preferably something with DVD PC based programs.

8 hours a week minimum would be good. however this year i discovered16 hours a week seems to be the magic number where you can make a big jump in ability but i guess for most people this is not possible.

work out how many hours a day can you train if you get up at 5.30am and go to bed at 9.30pm. for most people I would guess it could be 1-2 hours before work. that could add up to 14 hours a week.

the secret is to be in bed by 9.30pm most days to get 8 hours sleep. if you skimp on this, it doesn't work and you risk burn out.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    One more thing, everyone's discussing the ways to train but talk to your family. If you really want to do this, they should support you here. It's not dangerous, it's not bad for your health and it need not be too expensive: it's something worth supporting here and you shouldn't feel guilty just because you want to ride your bike for a few hours at the weekend. Just don't pick a fight over it! Instead, it's something positive and even the kids should welcome seeing their dad take up a challenge and beat it.
  • popette
    +1
    I do sometimes feel guilty about going off on a Sunday morning but it's just so damn enjoyable. I have the kids the majority of the time so I have to tell myself that it's a deserved treat, that is good for me and probably makes me a bit more chilled out as a parent (well, that's the theory). My husband watches football and goes to the pub - I encourage him to keep it up so that I don't feel so bad about having my own time.
  • This is quite an emotive subject as there are many arguments, but I hope this will help you.

I think the most important thing is to set yourself a goal, mine was La Marmotte and just go for it. Like many others here I have a family, work long hours and enjoy a busy weekend running the children round to various sporting activities and other clubs as well as fitting in domestic and social stuff.

Firstly I informed the family that I was interested in doing a challenge and as cycling was my thing I decided to go for something special. I was not expecting much in the way of feedback apart from a shrug of the shoulders and Dad can I have an ice cream? However the main issue was how much time will I be spending more away from the family than I currently do, training for something that really was of no benefit to anyone else. So the way I approached it was to ride around the families commitments as it were and fit in the training where I could. Fortunately I have a daily commute to the station which is approximately 10miles. The next thing I did was to work out a proper training plan - so much information out there that it ended up confusing the whole issue, so not to waste any further time, I searched for a coach on the web. I read what they offered and called a few, I plumped for a great chap who provided me with a weekly schedule for around £40 a month. This allowed me to concentrate on putting the correct training in and if I missed a session for whatever reason it would annoy me much more than if I was following one that I put together myself. However if the coach route is not for you, then the myriad of pages on this forum do contain great advice.

So up at 5am in the weekday (Mon / Wed and Fri) for my commute to the station following the plan. It would more often than not be easier in the morning and full on, on the way home. The interval sessions were hard but hey your not going to get up the mountains without putting the effort in. The other days were used as recovery days, very important to be religious about that.

I also entered a couple of Evans rides, including the "King of the Downs" which gave me a sense of where I was and to get used to what it will be like sitting on the bike for many hours. I was not fussed if I finished or not, but eneded up doing it in about 7 and half hours, with a few stops thrown in - I knew then the interval sessions I had been following were working, which gave me a real boost.

After the 'King of the Downs' ride I needed to start regular weekend riding and much to the constination of the other half I got up at 4.15am to go for a 3hr ride, so I can accomodate all things family - the view being i'll put myself out to do what I want to do and still not feel guilty about taking time away from the family.

After following a plan for just over 3 months, I was standing amongst 7500 other riders in Bourg D'Oisans feeling nervous about the day ahead. It was bloody brilliant, unforgetable in every sense of the word and I made it around in about 11hr 20mins, I would love to have done it in under 10hrs but the main goal was to finish. It was an amazing experience and now I am looking forward to next year where the Cyclo Tour of Mont Blanc looks very interesting indeed. Which means I will have to work a little bit harder, especially dropping the weight which is the key to a good performance!!!

Conclusion - the hardest bit is to commit yourself to something, once you have done that then you are on the journey, it can be done and you can accomplish alot on what appears to be a minimal amount of time. Don't back out if its all getting too much, re-evaluate and get back on, it only adds to the story (unless your body parts have fallen off). Don't listen to any negative comments from wife / family etc - even though you are married and have a family its still your life and one day your children will ask you about it, you will feel justly proud when you recount the day you completed a big challenge, this might just give them the inspiriation and confidence to achieve great things which is after all what parenting is about. Finally you are doing yourself a big favour by getting fit, gives you focus and more interestingly a new level of respect amongst your peers - could be the making of your next move up the corporate ladder.

I know this all sounds serious and chest beating but there are alot of people out there that think that once you are married then your life is over. By being more accomodating and perhaps lowering your expectation levels (in terms of performance) you can and rightly so continue to pursue your dreams in life with those closest to you by your side.

Good luck and enjoy every moment.
  • :shock: Do you do motivational speaking in your spare time.

Where's my bike....
  • Good lad, you know it makes sense, however I might need to check my spellings a bit more thoroughly next time!!! Apologies.

Sadly I am not, but its amazing what cr@p you tend to hear when these things are talked about...
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    I've done the last 2 Etapes and intend to try the Marmotte this year. 3 kids so fairly busy and work away as well.

The first thing is to get support from the family if you can. If you agree a training schedule up front and explain once a week for the last 3 months you are probably going to have to do a 4-6 hr ride it is all known up front.

I also put up a large poster of the Etape profile on the wall once it got to Spring and had small cut out bike pictures for each of my kids. They had to try and cycle the route distance before the Etape day. each time they cycled we moved their bikes along the poster the right distance.

Each time I have done it I have also combined it with my family holiday. Everyone feels more part of it when they are coming to watch. we have also stayed and watched the pro's do the same stage each year. All the family really enjoy the TdeF day with the caravelle, etc

From a limited training point of view make sure you get in the miles on the turbo over the winter. An hour at night when the kids are in bed (if they are young enough) is usually not a problem.

I take the bike with me when I'm travelling when possible or stay in a hotel with a gym that has bikes.

When going places in the spring/summer with family I'll leave early on the bike and meet them where we're going.

Ignore the people who knock the Etape. Non cyclists who hear you are doing a stage of the TdeF will be amazed. This helps with the family feeling of you are doing something special (and you are).
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    lochindaal wrote:
    I've done the last 2 Etapes and intend to try the Marmotte this year. 3 kids so fairly busy and work away as well.

The first thing is to get support from the family if you can. If you agree a training schedule up front and explain once a week for the last 3 months you are probably going to have to do a 4-6 hr ride it is all known up front.

I also put up a large poster of the Etape profile on the wall once it got to Spring and had small cut out bike pictures for each of my kids. They had to try and cycle the route distance before the Etape day. each time they cycled we moved their bikes along the poster the right distance.

Each time I have done it I have also combined it with my family holiday. Everyone feels more part of it when they are coming to watch. we have also stayed and watched the pro's do the same stage each year. All the family really enjoy the TdeF day with the caravelle, etc

From a limited training point of view make sure you get in the miles on the turbo over the winter. An hour at night when the kids are in bed (if they are young enough) is usually not a problem.

I take the bike with me when I'm travelling when possible or stay in a hotel with a gym that has bikes.

When going places in the spring/summer with family I'll leave early on the bike and meet them where we're going.

Ignore the people who knock the Etape. Non cyclists who hear you are doing a stage of the TdeF will be amazed. This helps with the family feeling of you are doing something special (and you are).

+1

those that knock the etape, have either done it, or had a bad experience, so if you want to do it, figure out how with your family and do it.

I did it this year and intend doing it next year too if in the Alpes. Did entry only as I wanted the freedom to do what I/we wanted and it was the 3rd best day of my life, behind getting married and my baby girl being born.
  • Bugger!!

After repeatedly visiting this thread since I started it there is absolutely no way I can back out now!

Many thanks to all of you who have shared your thoughts

I havent ridden much since I returned from Tourmalet and will get the summer holls out of the way before I appraise my schedule

I have one guaranteed early weekend ride a week for 3-5h plus whatever I can bag midweek
    Mountain biking isnt perfect but is easy to squeeze in when the kids are in bed - Id rather not ride big road miles when its dark but am happy to spin around the countryside

I will also look into interval training, I dont actually have a turbo and have never really thought about it, however I have a steep local climb of about a mile which I could for 30 mins at night over and over again

The blogs have been enlightening, Im not really that kind of a person, nor am I as articulate in my passion for cycling, but I will seek out some to follow for 2011

2011 marks 100 years of Galibier in the Tour
    Who'll take a fiver off me for next years Etape :)

Cheers
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Hi

I have ben thinking that the Etape (or Maratona or Marmotte etc etc) is something that I would like to do at least once in my life and Im keen to hear from anyone else in my position as regards time for training

I am fortunate to have decent lights so this isnt necessarily governed by daylight

Most evenings I get home late so by the time I have helped put the kids to bed and then eaten a major ride is out of the question

Cheers/Sante

Some might think the opposite, but I don't think it's enough... the Marmotte is out of question, the Etape, well it depends on the Etape, 2010 was not one for undertrained cyclists... the Maratona dle Dolomites maybe, but it's stretching it, honestly...

Why don't you set your target for 2011 to something like "The Dragon Ride" or other mass participation UK sportive (just stay away from the FWC)?
    Then if you feel that's not challenging enough, you can try to step up your riding and go for go for the Etape in 2012.

I'm telling you this as it costs a lot of money to take part in these events in Europe...
    left the forum March 2023
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    I don't get why people are trying to convince others to do something else, instead of giving tips on what they want to do. They might be trying to be helpful, but if like me you had a bee in your bonnet about something, as I did about going up the Tourmalet once in my lifetime, and the opportunity presents itself in the form of this years etape, nobody could have convinced me not to do it. The closed roads, the camaraderie, hell just the sheer adventure of the whole thing. Surely cost is something that needs to be factored in, but if you can afford the fee, accommodation, transport etc, go for it!

I loved that I managed on the way to do some sportives in the UK, went to Applecross and went over the Baelach a Ba (dont stay at the Lochcarron Hotel if you want to sleep!), up to Dundee (thankfully I have very supportive in laws) to go over the Cairn o Mount, but all of that was to get me into some sort of shape for the main event in July and in my opinion the etape was very much worth doing and nobody can tell me any different. The descending was out of this world and the feeling of going past a motorbike down the Solour will stay in my mind for a long, long time.

I did see people blowing out tyres with about 5 k's in, which was just plain weird, and others walking up the Solour, so all I would say is prepare both yourself (looks like you have thought plenty about that side of things) and your bike, take advantage of Mavic during registration and ENJOY!!

If next year has the Galibier, I'm trying to get in, don't mind if it has got Alpe d'huez but must have the Galibier.
  • popette
    My two etape days live with me forever. As someone mentioned above, two of the best days of my life following marriage and having the kids. When I get into difficult situations, and the past 6 month have without doubt been the most emotionally challenging I have ever experienced, I think this to myself - if I can get up ventoux, with 95 miles in my legs in 40 degree temps, then I CAN DO THIS!! If I can finish on Tourmalet, when 3000 others didn't, then I CAN DO THIS! That inner confidence, that inner core of strength that doing two Etapes has brought to me in other areas of my life is simply priceless. I think it's a magical and emotional day and I hope to do many more in the future....

Sounds like a load of hippy sh!te but there you go, that's just how I feel about it.

IMO, Go For It!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Hi

Cheers/Sante

Some might think the opposite, but I don't think it's enough... the Marmotte is out of question, the Etape, well it depends on the Etape, 2010 was not one for undertrained cyclists... the Maratona dle Dolomites maybe, but it's stretching it, honestly...

Why don't you set your target for 2011 to something like "The Dragon Ride" or other mass participation UK sportive (just stay away from the FWC)?
    Then if you feel that's not challenging enough, you can try to step up your riding and go for go for the Etape in 2012.

I'm telling you this as it costs a lot of money to take part in these events in Europe...

I guess it depends on how much you cycle, but 2-3 turbo sessions of 1-2 hrs a week and at least a three-hour longer ride at the weekend was pretty much my training schedule for the first three months of this year. I upped it a bit for the weekend rides in months four and five, tailing off a bit in the month leading up to the event, but that was essentially it.

Still managed the Marmotte and felt like I could have done it faster than I did. Although I admit to having massive anxiety about whether I'd done enough training, as it turned out, I'd done plenty.
  • I also put up a large poster of the Etape profile on the wall once it got to Spring and had small cut out bike pictures for each of my kids. They had to try and cycle the route distance before the Etape day. each time they cycled we moved their bikes along the poster the right distance.

I like the idea that Lochindaal uses, will look to try that one next year - just hope my cutting out improves!!