Veranti Wild Edric 5th September Shropshire

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
Originally posted this in the race section in error

I've recently got into road biking and was thinking of entering the shorter 58 mile route. Details here.

http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=16

I think I'd be ok but the first hill looks pretty steep and I'd hate to crack on the first climb, that would be pretty embarrassing. Can anyone work out what % gradient that is. Anyone else on here entering?

Comments

• You don't actually state what the first climb actually is but I assume that you are referring to Asterton Bank which is the western ascent of the Long Mynd. The bottom of the climb is 25% and then eases off to 20% which is small comfort.

I have ridden this hill on the 200km Kidderminster Killer and usually seek the better part of valor by dismounting. Asterton Bank is one huge heave and it is easy to blow up before completing the rest of the route.

You may interested to see a discussion that refers to this hill at:

http://www.cyclechat.net/topic/66819-the-kiddie-killer/
  • petemadoc
    I don't think it is,

check out this video preview

http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=16

It says the first climb is Long Mynd max 20% 233m

I'm relatively new to cycling distance rides and usually manage about 30 miles on a Sunday morning on local roads. Pretty sure I could manage the 58 miles but just don't want to burn out on the first hill.
  • petemadoc
    Oh yeah and my bike has a compact, smallest gear is 34 - 28
  • I think the video shows the lumpy section leading up to the base of Asterton Bank. Where the rider is dismounted and talking in the rain, the view is of the base of Asterton Bank. Take a look at Long Mynd view Google Streetview and drag the little yellow man to the far southern junction of the Portway.

Looking at route map you will be going up Asterton Bank. Asterton Bank comes before the other steep ascents up the Long Mountain (south of Welshpool) and onto the Kerry Ridgeway (a few miles south of Montgomery).

Just as a warning, last year there were plenty of Wild Edric participants belly aching that the roads were too narrow, too winding and too steep - but these challenges are part of the fun! To be honest, if you decide to ride in this locatity again then I would recommend the Shropshire Highland Challenge which is far less expensive to enter than Kilotogo's efforts: http://www.shropshirehighlandschallenge.co.uk/ . I also operate a 'permanent audax' through the area but this is significantly further in distance.

Have fun - it is great countryside.
  • Found this view of Asterton Bank taken from a glider:
    3529319.jpg
  • petemadoc
    OK so this Asterton Bank is before the large hill Long Mynd?

We have some pretty steep hills here, I live in Snowdonia, and I try to take them on when I get the chance. There are some where I just have to stop to get my breath back, maybe a triple chainset would help.

Anyone else do this last year or have a link to the "belly ache" threads.

I can't imagine roads being too narrow for bikes?
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Slightly confusing, the mountain is called Long Mynd but the climb itself is Asterton Bank.

The video does say 'too steep to film' and no kidding, it is steep and long. I don't think I got halfway up it last year before climbing off, and there was a long line of us pushing our bikes up so you are more than likely going to end up dismounting (no real shame in that mind, you wont be the only one!).

This event last year was probably the hardest and least enjoyable event I've done (long route), I had to dismount on about half a dozen climbs, and a lot of other riders were complaining it was too tough. I must say though, I didn't find the roads or the descents 'that' dangerous, but coming off Long Mynd was a bit tricky with oncoming traffic and it was really fast.
    This year they have changed the route to make it a bit more managable but I haven't entered. I'll most likely be doing the Trans Cambrian later in the month.
  • petemadoc
    Thanks for the heads up on the trans cambrian. I think this may well be an option next year, not sure I could manage 90 miles just yet but this is in my area.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    would do this,but away with the family.

But can recommend the Shropshire Highland Challenge, did it this year & loved it
  • graememacd
    graememacd Posts: 386
    I will be doing the shorter 58 mile route, does anyone know how it compares to the tour of the black mountains for the climbs?? I did the 63 mile route of this last month and really enjoyed it.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Firstly folk don't be put off doing the event by Asterton Bank the rest of the routes are just great. Unfortunately Kilotogo haven't done themselves a favour by getting some facts wrong.
    Asterton Bank it isn't the first climb, the first climb isn't nasty but it has one chevron up on the ordinance survey (map 137) climb to 249m near Lea just a couple of miles into ride, then down to Totterton on to Plowden where sharp left and short climb up to the Long Mynd foothills, slightly undulating to Asterton (hence name of bank) then up to the Glider Club.
    This climb is the worst way up to the top of the Long Mynd the only part of this climb that is 20% is about 20m long the rest is more. It is more than 25% at the two horrible bends near the base of the climb. It does settle a bit but there is no let up all the way. The length is as described in the cycling weekly article but the photo of a young lady climbing last year is from some other part of the course.
    Asterton bank hazards are
    1. Shale/stones in road (keep wheels away from them) at this slow a speed you could be off and you won’t get going again so it would be down to walking the rest of the climb, which is what many will be doing anyway.
    2. Drop off, one side to the very narrow road is steep up and the other is steep down with a narrow strip of grass to 'walk on' drop off side.
    3. Wayne Rovers, hopefully as most of us should be hitting the bank fairly early Sunday the summer droves of tourists in there polished 4x4's will not be out in too many numbers, they have a most annoying habit of not moving over to the side of the road because of the steep side to it.
    Asterton Bank is a hill/ski-jump that I hate to go down, only done it once full on brakes all the way down and thought I was about to go over the handle bars at any moment.
    I have done the climb several times with a race triple and a 27 on the back and it was very hard, I now use a 34-28 compact which is slightly higher a gear, my advice is that Asterton Bank is not a hill that can be attacked, all that happens is seize-up, also be prepared to walk, it's not that long.
    Good news is the rest of the routes will be great, challenging but not insane like Asterton Bank with the added bonus of fantastic countryside, I know I live here.

Note for organisers: avoid Asterton Bank next year by taking ride to Asterton where left to Wentnor left at tee to 'The Green' where right at Tee follow road parallel to River East Onny take right turn to Brigdes follow road to Ratlinghope through and climb to Robin Hood's Butts (Long Mynd moor land) descend to Woolstaston then Leebotwood turn right on to A49 then shortly left to join this years route again. This avoids the risk largely of oncoming Wayne Rovers over a less '4x4' trodden part of the Long Mynd but still getting in some climbing meters.
    This gives the entrants the real Shropshire Secrete, which are the quiet lanes and byways.
  • petemadoc
    Thanks for the detailed info.

So basically I've no chance of making up this Asterton Bank. As long as I know in advance I guess that's ok, I can blame my compact chainset :) It sounds like I'll have some walking company anyways.

See you there
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Note for organisers: avoid Asterton Bank next year by taking ride to Asterton where left to Wentnor left at tee to 'The Green' where right at Tee follow road parallel to River East Onny take right turn to Brigdes follow road to Ratlinghope through and climb to Robin Hood's Butts (Long Mynd moor land) descend to Woolstaston then Leebotwood turn right on to A49 then shortly left to join this years route again. This avoids the risk largely of oncoming Wayne Rovers over a less '4x4' trodden part of the Long Mynd but still getting in some climbing meters.
    This gives the entrants the real Shropshire Secrete, which are the quiet lanes and byways

:):)
    As this hill was in last years event I`d have thought that they would have had sense to NOT include it so your above is more than timely; if I recall less than 1/3 field managed to rid it, partly due to stepness but also due to traffic coming down and other riders stopping. At least I hope they have not included Marton Hill again (1:3 rough, gravelly in places); anyway I`m not riding it again!
  • Ron Stuart
    As this hill was in last years event I`d have thought that they would have had sense to NOT include it so your above is more than timely; if I recall less than 1/3 field managed to rid it, partly due to stepness but also due to traffic coming down and other riders stopping. At least I hope they have not included Marton Hill again (1:3 rough, gravelly in places); anyway I`m not riding it again!

I actually told the organizers that last years course wouldn't go down well with a lot of the entrants for the reasons stated above and I declined from entering last years event on those grounds. The route this year is much better 'no hill at Marton' just a good challenging route with the exception of Asterton Bank. After all it's a bike ride not a walking event and it also has a dodgy descent 25% down the Burway into Church Stretton with even more Wayne Rovers on the way up. With hundreds of riders it only makes sense to find a route that.
    1. Gives a great experience of the area (not being forced to walk because of traffic).
    2. Challenges the riders.
    3. Keep them away from hazards as much as possible (can't be 100% safe).

My suggestion ticks these boxes and to be fair the organizers have gone 95% of the way to rectifying these points with this years route.
    So once again don't be put off, this is a great part of the world to ride a bike and with another tweak this event could become a classic Sportive. :D
  • kilotogo
    kilotogo Posts: 29
    Hi all. Someone kindly drew our attention to this thread and we appreciate from last year some riders found Asterton Bank, and indeed the whole 2009 route so very tough.

This year it's quite different; a nicer more flowing Wild Edric route with wider, quieter roads and some really rewarding descents. For example, from Kerry Hill to Knighton is a brisk 12.5 miles gentle descent on wide smooth roads. We road the whole route again last week in the wet - no punctures, no traffic.

We don't want people to walk up hills and equally many tell us they want a tough challenge. So this year, if you don't fancy Asterton Bank there is a fully supported alternative route (of equal distance) which is essentially flat. Also there is a supported short-cut at Clun for those who feel they have bitten of a bit too much approaching the end of the 103 mile option.

Give it a go, it's quite different this year but still a great challenge.

You can see how we got on in the rain here http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=16
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Asterton Bank is reputed to be a nasty, though fairly short climb. It's scary enough in the car! I also wouldn't choose to descend the Burway, it's popular on a Sunday and you're on the outside looking down the sheer drop into Carding Mill Valley <gulp>. Instead I'd take the road to Bridges then turn right and follow Darnford brook over Robin Hood's Butts, descending off the (even) quieter North side of the Long Mynd via Woolstaston. Fewer cars and better visibility.
    there is a fully supported alternative route (of equal distance) which is essentially flat.
    It's not mentioned on the website. Why put Asterton Bank in if only a third of participants could ride it and many want an alternative?

After Westbury the climb onto the Long Mountain isn't anywhere near as bad as Marton bank on last year's route. I came down it a few weeks ago, it gave my brake pads a good workout on the narrow, twisting lane.

There is a new cycle shop in the square in Church Stretton, Plush Hill Cycles, which is open 9.30am - 2.30pm on Sundays. Also there are two great cafes in Montgomery for those wishing to refuel in the 'traditional' way.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • petemadoc
    Well I've decided to chicken out I'm afraid. £27.00 plus £20 petrol plus whatever else the day will cost was just a bit too much when I added it all up. I'm gonna get up early and go for a 60 mile ride around the snowdonia mountains instead.

I'm gonna work up to the 100+ mile routes before I start forking out and travelling to these events I think.
  • simon_e
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    I'm gonna get up early and go for a 60 mile ride around the snowdonia mountains instead.
    You've got enough scenery and good roads already! No need to pay money and travel with that on your doorstep. Was in Bangor at the weekend and sorely missed having my bike.
  • Crashed coming off the Long Mynd yesterday. If its raining - be careful!
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    where exactly is the 12 mile descent?
  • simon_e
    T.C. wrote:
    where exactly is the 12 mile descent?
    If you took the time to read the post on page 1 where it was mentioned you would know. It states:

"from Kerry Hill to Knighton is a brisk 12.5 miles gentle descent on wide smooth roads."

That's going south-east on the B4355 down the Teme valley. The second feed stop is at Felindre, part way down that stretch.

I'll be doing a sponsored ride for Severn Hospice that day.[/i]
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    i did read the post but didnt proof read it well enough, dissapointed with the sarcasm, thanks anyway
  • simon_e
    T.C. wrote:
    i did read the post but didnt proof read it well enough, dissapointed with the sarcasm, thanks anyway
    Well, it was already there in black and white so no need to get so prickly.

Anyway, I see Kilotogo are now offering on the day entries, £35 and FCFS according to their Facebook page.

In case you missed it that's £35 and FCFS according to their Facebook page :wink:
  • Really enjoyed the ride out today - the climb just after the Westbury feediing station was a nice suprise; especially with a coffee, fruit bar and banana sloshing around my guts! Note to self, check out the route profile and pay attention next time!
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Enjoyed it myself. OK o it rained a bit at the start but that can't be helped. We did the 103 mile route in 7:40 by my GPS, although 1 hour of that was spent in feed stations, and picking up the pieces after a member of the club touched my wheel and went OTB. Good route. Yes the Asterton bank climb was an absolute bitch and I only made it halfway before dismounting and walking the remainder of the steep mid-section then remounted for the final ascent to the gliding club where we stopped to admire the gyrocopters for a few minutes and gather our thoughts.

Regarding the descents, they were a little narrow in places and with many blind corners but they were perfectly safe. You just couldn't hit 45MPH down them. No problem, there were a few chances to put the hammer down and go for a good max speed. I only managed 41MPH today though as my confidence goes out the window when the tarmac is wet and shiny.

Event organisers were awesome at both patching aforementioned team mate up after his off and looking after another team mate who'd not thought out his feeding strategy and severely bonked once over the finish line.

Only my 2nd sportive (1st was tour of Pembrokeshire this year at 82 miles) and I feel better physically after this one than that. Don't be put off trying it next year, if anyone is thinking about it.

Re the Trans Wales, I'm gutted I can't do that next week as it's very local to me and takes in a lot of my usual riding. The climbs are all doable and more draggy than steep but the accompanying scenery is more than worth it.
  • does anyone know when the times will be published for this??
  • Ron Stuart
    Many thanks to the organizers for being flexible with the route and putting in the Asterton bypass. Also a special help to the three guys who worked with me on the flatter sections around the long route. The guy from Church Stretton who was a bit lost at Longnor then did the rest of section to first control at Westbury, the chap from Rutland who I met up with around Kerry Hill and down to a windy Felindre control and lastly a feller who caught me on the way up to Clun then wisely instead of overtaking kept with me and we did bit and bit to Craven Arm once again into that wind.
    Did a 6hrs 47mins 25secs for the 103 miler which wasn't bad for a 59 year old and was aided by the above help no doubt.
    Shame about the turn out being a bit low, something to do with the large number of sportives to chose from and the economic situation, also last years adverse blogging about the hardness of the ride probably put a lot off. Just need the route to be modified slightly (Bridges to Robin Hood's Butts) Long Mynd instead of (Asterton Bank to Burway) and it would be Ace.

My scores out of 10 are:-

Shropshire = 10
    Route = 9
    Parking = 9
    Start/Finish = 7 (bit quiet and food at finish?)
    Feeds = 8
    Support = 8
    Timing = 8 (splits would be interesting)
    Age Standards = 0
    Signage = 9

Overall gives 6.7 ( just put those age standards in and the other bits and it would be right up there)

Maybe with a bigger turn out Kilotogo could make this even better value for money. Check out the Technical Tee Shirts that Justracing hand out as part of their entry.

Lastly I must thank the Lady who handed out the buffs at the finish for having such a dry sense of humor, just what was needed.