New Commuter Bike

Fatbadger
Fatbadger Posts: 51
edited August 2010 in The workshop
Right, I'm looking to commute to work and am currently in the process of getting my boss to set up the cyclescheme however I need advice on a bike.

It will have 2 uses,

Commuting:
Firstly I will ride it 22miles to work and 22miles home for most of the year and up to 3x a week. It is important that I can take my 15" laptop and SLR Camera and ideally my lunch box back and forth so I was looking for different ways of carrying these.

A) Different kinds of bag, backpack or messenger bag. The downside is that I don't have showers at work so the less sweaty my back gets the easier it will be to scrub up in the sink :D I know a lot of commuters use messenger bags but wouldn't they slide around?

B) Panniers. The problem here is that I don't think most of the quicker road bikes I was looking at have mounts for them although I did see this on another post.
alfablue wrote:
LOOK! Just seen this on another thread:

Axiom Streamliner Road DLX. No mounts needed, sits 4cm behind dropout.
171285;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg
available here for £29.99

Does anybody know if they are any good? If so that will easily fix my storage problems.

Sportives:
Quite self explanatory, this is why I want to go for more of a racer than standard tourer.

Obviously I have less than £1000 to spend through cycle scheme. Ideally £800 or less would be better. I am attracted to 105/tiagra shifters for when I do sportives.

What is the best mix of the two? Any help much appreciated!