Cheapo pedal knocked into crank

Stu22_v
Stu22_v Posts: 6
edited August 2010 in The workshop
Hello clever people of the forum.
I'm doing up an oldish cheapo bike that i was given for nothing - i aim to pass it on to a friend. It's been stored outside judging by the rusty fasteners. The left-hand pedal has been knocked into the crank arm and won't turn - i can't get to the bolt flats to unscrew it from the crank. I can fit a cone spanner on the bolt, but not a proper pedal spanner as it's too thick. The gap between the pedal body and the crank is about 2mm.

I've removed the nut from the outboard side of the pedal spindle, but i can't pry the pedal body off it's spindle.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to move the pedal back so i can get to the bolt flats to unscrew the pedal? Is it a brute force thing at this stage? should i just hammer it off the pedal spindle (i'm going to replace it anway).

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Stu.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH if it is that far into the crank arm the arm is trash. LBS time for a used spare arm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Angle grinder I say.

Remove the crank, hold in a vice and cut the pedal to bits until it falls apart, then you should be able to get a proper spanner on there and remove it.

Or get a new crank.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Yup, +1: If the crank's worth saving then angle grinder. In all probability you'd be better to bin it and get a replacement crank.

Bike recycler would be ideal- the one in Edinburgh has a box of LH cranks, you'd pick one up for a few quid. I think I have one kicking about somewhere... where do you live?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Stu22_v
    Thanks for you answers.

I will see what my LBS has in the used parts bin and go from there.

Mr Warburton - i am in exile in flattest Cambridgeshire. Thank you for your kind offer, but i'll see that the LBS chap says before i trouble you.

Angle grinder isn't something i'd considered on the bike - i'll bear it in mind.

Thanks again.

Stu.
  • Stu22_v
    Just in case anyone else hits this problem - i hacksawed through the pedal spindle, which allowed me to remove the pedal and gain access to the pedal flats. The pedal came off after a few taps to the spanner.
    Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Stu.