Cipolinni v Cavendish

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Boardman has said that Cav is the greatest sprinter ever, but I was thinking today (yes, another training day at work) which one would win if they had been able to race against each other whilst both at their peak.

Mario or Mark?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    In a race? Or your affection? :o

Cav.

Love Cippolini though he was CLASS in a tasteless way!
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    I don't think Cip was as fast out of the blocks. He really needed his train to deliver him at high speed which he could then hold. So given super fast lead outs reckon they could be very even but without that my money's on cav
  • Tusher
    Cipollini. Cipollini.

How one earth did I manage to mistype that. And in a title as well.

I'll be away to the Dunce Corner then.
  • Tusher
    NapoleonD wrote:
    In a race? Or your affection? :o

Cav.

Love Cippolini though he was CLASS in a tasteless way!

Sigh.

No-one even comes close to Mr Cavendish, Napoleon. No-one.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Cav comfortably.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    he may finish second but only one would be able to look good in zebra stripes and still pull the podium girl without even getting on it
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,342
    sherer wrote:
    he may finish second but only one would be able to look good in zebra stripes and still pull the podium girl without even getting on it

With those teeth (pre dental work) Cav in zebra stripes would have caused calls to the local zoo about escapees....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I love these sorts of debates! There will of course be those who point to the fact they rode in different generations and on different standard of bike etc etc. (oh and with differing levels of preparation in the peloton, of course).

If Cipo's high speed lead out train could have kept HTC at bay and got him out front he would stand a chance of holding on.

Going from a Renshaw lead out I think Cavendish on his current level would be unbeatable, even against Cipo.
  • Is Petacchi not the new Cipo, and doesn't Bennati have a similar sprinting style, and they've both beaten Ca several times.

No sprinter is unbeatable
  • No sprinter is unbeatbale but i would put my money on Cav. plus if there was a short climb before the run in chipo would not be making it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Cipo and Pettacci have similar styles - not really a 'sprint' but the ability to sustain a very high speed from a lead out. As McEwan often demonstrated, it was still possible to nip round at the end. Cav has the ability to both sustain the high speed and has enough of a 'kick' at 70kph to distance his rivals.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    No sprinter is unbeatbale but i would put my money on Cav. plus if there was a short climb before the run in chipo would not be making it.

This is the same Cipo that has won MSR. What pray makes Cavendish a better climber than Cipollini?

The question is unaswerable. Although he seems the faster man, who knows how Cav could have dealt with the red train in full flight?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • deosnt Cipollini have the record for the fastest speed in a tour sprint?
    I'm sure i heard it mentioned on the commentary of the tour this year.

Didnt they race each other at the tour of california? (i know Cipollini is past his prime)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    deosnt Cipollini have the record for the fastest speed in a tour sprint?
    I'm sure i heard it mentioned on the commentary of the tour this year.

That record is for the fastest stage (i.e highest average speed over the whole stage), not the fastest recorded sprint.

Probably...

They may have said exactly what you were talking about. But that would most likely be a reflection of the course rather than the riders.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Im prettysure they said his exact speed in the sprint, i think it worked out at 47mph or something stupid like that..
  • Notr strictly pertinent to sprinting, but I'd hold Cavendish above Cippolini by virtue of his actually finishing the TDF.
  • Aaah but for me the more interesting question would be "Who's the brashest....??"

Not much between them methinks. Although their styles are most assuredly different.