I think we may have gone off track slightly :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails87 wrote:
    I beg to differ, my good man!

(actually, this is really therapeutic for the stopping smoking thing!)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    I beg to differ, my good man!

(actually, this is really therapeutic for the stopping smoking thing!)

No it's not!
    MTB/CX

• scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    I ride on pavements, in this town it's so anti cycle it's unreal, I think the law needs to be changed, so that if there is not a segregated cycle path in the area you can ride on pavements with max 10mph speed limit.

I am very much a law abiding type but this is my exception.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I ride on the footpath on the bits of the East Lancs that aren't cycle paths.

Mainly because the road bit is full of grade A lunatics.

Actually, so is the pavement where I live. A kid on a crosser overtook me once.

Where was I going with this?

To the pub...
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Screw all this primary and defensive riding crap, just do what all the cyclists do around here and just ride on through red lights etc and basically do what the hell they want.

As someone quoted how over 50% of accidents happen at junctions, it's of no surprise with the amount of idiot cyclists that think the rules of the road don't apply.
  • bails87
    Briggo wrote:
    Screw all this primary and defensive riding crap, just do what all the cyclists do around here and just ride on through red lights etc and basically do what the hell they want.

As someone quoted how over 50% of accidents happen at junctions, it's of no surprise with the amount of idiot cyclists that think the rules of the road don't apply.

Really, all of them? Every single one? Are you sure that's not an exaggeration?

Anyway, more cyclists are hit as a result of cars running red lights than are hit as a result of cyclists running red lights. Make of that what you will.
    MTB/CX

• Briggo
    bails87 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

Anyway, more cyclists are hit as a result of cars running red lights than are hit as a result of cyclists running red lights. Make of that what you will.

No, it really isn't an exageration Bails.

On my daily commute its a case of spot the law abiding cyclist.

Running reds at - Junctions / Roundabouts / Pedestrian crossings
    Cycling down the wrong way down one way streets.
    Persistently riding on the footpath especially with heavy pedestrian traffic
    Riders not signalling
    Riders riding without any lights (obviously during winter) or even a form of reflective attire.

I had a conversation with a guy I work with (he's a clever chap) and he freely admits to running reds if it appears clear as he can't be bothered to wait and said why should he when he can see it's clear and as all the other cyclists do it it has to be safe....
  • bails87
    Briggo wrote:

No, it really isn't an exageration Bails.

On my daily commute its a case of spot the law abiding cyclist.

Running reds at - Junctions / Roundabouts / Pedestrian crossings
    Cycling down the wrong way down one way streets.
    Persistently riding on the footpath especially with heavy pedestrian traffic
    Riders not signalling
    Riders riding without any lights (obviously during winter) or even a form of reflective attire.

I had a conversation with a guy I work with (he's a clever chap) and he freely admits to running reds if it appears clear as he can't be bothered to wait and said why should he when he can see it's clear and as all the other cyclists do it it has to be safe....

Fair enough!
    That's a shame though. I follow the rules of the road when I'm riding on it. As I do when I'm driving on it.

I could play "spot the law abiding driver" and I'd struggle. Speeding, not indicating, running reds, illegal manouvers, tailgating.....

I see a few cyclists, but don't go through any traffic lights on my commute, so RLJing isn't something I can comment on in my normal commute.
    However, I have got non-cycling friends who live in London, who go on about how bad cyclists are there. But whenever I go they don't seem that bad. I think it's because, as a cyclist, I'm actively looking for bikes, so I'll see the 20 stopping at various places in the queue of traffic, as well as the 5 that run the red. Whereas my non cyling mates only see the 5 running the red, because they're not looking for them, they only see the bad ones.
    MTB/CX

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    bails87 wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    This isn't an argument, it's just contradiction.
    well i'm sorry but you're just wrong!

No, you're wrong!

The whole damn system's wrong!
    No, YOU'RE wrong.

:lol:

Those pencilnecks at city hall are going to have your badge for this McGee.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • just get off and push, and be really nice to her, thank her for her comments and ask if there is anything wrong in her life to make her feel so angry. so is probably lonely, I mean her husband wont make love to her anymore after the "change". So all she has is her life is her cat, which has a cancerous liver now and that last bit of little hope is slowly ebbing away from her life. Tuesdays however, is a comfort day as she has be-friended Giles, the lovely young man in Staples, often they will share a joke in the bic pen aisle, or enjoy the smell of freshly photocopied sunday school leaflets.

Remember, she may have these things going on in her life to make her this angry, just be nice to her, or you can give her the finger.
    I like bike, bike is bike.
  • Anonymous
    bails87 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

I've never seen a car jump a red light, call me lucky if you want. I have seen a shedload of cyclists ignore traffic lights though.
    And pedestrians. Pedestrians round here are just dumb. They've taken walking along the street to extreme sports levels of danger.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

I've never seen a car jump a red light, call me lucky if you want. I have seen a shedload of cyclists ignore traffic lights though.
    And pedestrians. Pedestrians round here are just dumb. They've taken walking along the street to extreme sports levels of danger.

Ever seen a car speed? Just as illegal as running a red.

I saw a bus jump a red the other day. Luckily I saw it coming so I hadn't accelerated as quick as I could have, or I'd have been in it's path.

Also, there's a pedestrian crossing near the office that's routinely ignored, I was crossing the road once and had to jump back onto the kerb as a Range Rover or Merc jeep (something massive) went flying through.

EDIT: There are plenty of good drivers, and cyclists, and plenty bad of each.

I know who I'd rather be hit by though. At the end of the day, cars hit and injure/kill more people on the pavement than cyclists do, more cyclists are hit by cars that have run red lights than are hit as a result of themselves running red lights.

But cyclists shouldn't break the law, the fact that we're vulnerable on the road shou;ld be enough to encourage us to not run reds, not undertake, not do generally stupid things, but for some people it's not. And I have no problem with those people being ticked off as a result of them choosing to break the law, just as long as motorists are 'clamped down on' equally.
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

What the fukc has that got to do with it?
    I've seen people, who drive cars, take drugs too. Would you care to try and wrap that into the argument?

Nobody's "clamping down " on bikes, or cars, particularly. We're just highlighting that cyclists can be dumb, and dangerous when it comes to using the road.
    and, personally, I see a lot more cyclists riding stupidly than I do drivers.
    Now, I many times more car drivers than cyclists, so maybe that means the cyclists, on average are more likely to be idiotic? Who knows.

As far as the law is concerned? Fukc the law. Use common sense.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

What the fukc has that got to do with it?

I was just pointing out another routine bit of law breaking that's done my motorists, myself included.
    I've seen people, who drive cars, take drugs too. Would you care to try and wrap that into the argument?
    Well I'd say that was more dangerous than a cyclist riding on the pavement.

But then plenty of roadies take drugs and ride don't they! :lol:
    Nobody's "clamping down " on bikes, or cars, particularly. We're just highlighting that cyclists can be dumb, and dangerous when it comes to using the road.[/.quote]
    I know, that's what I said too, that there's plenty of good and bad of each.
    and, personally, I see a lot more cyclists riding stupidly than I do drivers.
    Now, I many times more car drivers than cyclists, so maybe that means the cyclists, on average are more likely to be idiotic? Who knows.
    Fair enough, that's your experience. I can't argue with what you've seen day to day. But my experience is different. As I said though, there aren't many junctions or lights on my commute, so the main law breaking is speeding, which obviously won't be being done by cyclists.
    Use common sense.
    I agree.
    MTB/CX

• Briggo
    The point I'm making Bails that if everyone who used the roads i.e. - lorries / buses / pedestrians / cyclists / cars etc etc drove in the same manner that the majority of cyclists do during home time on an evening in Norwich it would be pure anarchy.

The only reason cyclists can get away with it is due to the fact that they don't have to worry about penalty points on their license.
  • Grimy
    Grimy Posts: 111
    Northwind wrote:
    Sorry, but that's boIIocks!

Riding on the pavement is illegal, it's not a grey area.

Speeding is illegal too but most motorists speed when they think it's safe. I couldn't personally give a flying **** if riding on the pavement is illegal or legal, I only care if it's safe and reasonable. I use a deserted pavement every single day I commute, rather than ride in the poor cycle lane on the busy dual carriageway that's the alternative, and the law just doesn't come into that decision, it's safer and it troubles nobody. And that's not a grey area.

Amen to that! Only a crime if somebody suffers, who gives a monkeys if the pavments empty and knowbodys effected. Common sence.
  • let them stress out and get home in a rage whilst you get home feeling relaxed ready to enjoy your down time :D
    See, that is just ignorant and dangerous. A stressed out psycho behind the wheel is not going to end well.

I'm not suggesting that you do it to be ignorant, I do drive a car too. I am sugessting that in certain circumstances it necessary to hold other vehicles up by taking up space in the road to continue on my journey safely. If that cases them to get wound up and angry then so be it, let them go home in a rage.
    Living in Bristol I quite often have negotiate narrow streets with only enough room for a single vehicle to get down, in that situation I take the centre, I hold people up. I have as much right to travel along that piece of road as anyone else, I just can't travel as fast as a car. But to honest the majority of drivers understand this approach and behave accordingly, if I have an opportunity to signal my thanks I will.
    Being clear and definite in your actions on the road on the most part gives drivers piece of mind and they seem to reacte sensibly,,,
  • Anonymous
    I think you've missed out some important follow ups to what you've quoted.