Shop-Tested a new Trek Fuel Ex8 but...

2»

Comments

• Definitely something to consider, they can make all the difference and in my opinion are much more important than most mods to a bike. I'd rather have awesome tires built for the conditions i'm riding in, than have a SRAM xo derailleur or something.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I tried the Trek Fuel & thought the riding position was a bit weird, but you can alter that to suit with new bars, stem, seat post. I was also put off by owner reviews on the net.
    I ended up buying a Giant Trance X3 and it's awesome! Very light but and climbs very well even without any suspension lockout but is also great on rough, fast descents & this weekend will be abused on the local DH track though I think I will take the chicken runs around the big jumps.
  • Buckaroo
    Buckaroo Posts: 134
    Cool. Sat on the Trance, thats about as far as I got. :P Your pic of the white beauty is wicked, loving the purple flats mate deffinately leave them on!

The Top Fuel was 'almost' there....Amazing to ride, a real racer along the XC route over the weekend, I was speedy up hills but unfortunately lost confience on the rooty, bumpy downs, and that's what ultimately put me off it... plus if I bought it I'd be straight onto changing the bar, saddle and tyres.... Not ideal from my point of view.

Car-Park tested a Anthem X3, mmmm ok, a bit like the Fuel Ex8... my first impressions are that its a wicked feel but not what Im looking for...

Fortunately I've found another good fit with just the right spec and the LBC has agreed to chuck on my bar/stem of choice for no extra cost..... :D ... watch this space

S

The old dog - http://flic.kr/p/8xA5hk
    The puppy - http://flic.kr/p/8BKvoR
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    When your spending over £1500 most good shops will change the stem or bar to fit you.
    The Trance is far more of an all rounder than a Anthem or Top Fuel. It cllimbs very well, the Meastro suspension linkage is pretty impressive and it's really very good when it gets to the fun bits!
    It's great for riding all day around the Quantocks, big climbs & rocky descents.