Help with hills in the South East

13»

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    wulfhound wrote:
    Imagine you already have this one, but will mention Hesiers Hill / Beddlestead Lane.. going south, you get plenty of height gain going up Beddlestead, and a fantastic view back towards the City / Docklands in the far distance from the top.

Going north, not sure if the height gain up Hesiers is enough to meet your criteria, but bloomin 'eck is it steep...

It's not on the list, but I rode down that way a fair few months ago during my Marmotte training, including the ascent of Hesiers. Lovely area. For a fleeting minute, I thought I was in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales.
  • wulfhound wrote:
    Imagine you already have this one, but will mention Hesiers Hill / Beddlestead Lane.. going south, you get plenty of height gain going up Beddlestead, and a fantastic view back towards the City / Docklands in the far distance from the top.

Going north, not sure if the height gain up Hesiers is enough to meet your criteria, but bloomin 'eck is it steep...

Heisers Hill is a wicked little beast! Don't think it quite amounts to 100m height gain (may not be far off). I remember first spotting it when out riding the road it meets and I spotted it going into and out of the valley. We came back that way on the rather wet SCR group (well 3 of us that MTFU'd) ride at the end of February. Thankfully by the time we got there the rain had subsided so we weren't pedaling upstream like earlier in the day on another hill :-)

Don't know that hill but I love that you describe it as a "wicked little beast", like it's a naughty dog that's cr@pped on the carpet or something

:lol: Coming at it from Beddlestead Ln as WH suggests you get a lovely flowing country lanes that gently take you down into the valley, only to be greeted by THAT! It also appears to be used as a dumping ground as I'm sure the times I've ridden up there has been dumped rubble and melted tyres (car not bike!) on the road......

That area is roughly where the "nice" riding starts if I head south for a ride! I think Kets commented when we went out for our (shorter then expected) ride that it's great being only 8-10 miles away from some nice riding roads :-D

If you want another short n horrid one there is
    Hollymeok Road

Just about as short as Heisers and a nasty incline that again leads to a great bit of cycling road! One I've used before to head down towards Reigate Hill in relative peace and quiet and it's even great fun in a car coming off the M25 as it avoid the horrid mess that is the M23/A23 merging and joining into Horley :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DVV
    DVV Posts: 126
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but what about Old Winchester Hill in Hampshire, if it's not too 'South' as opposed to 'South-East' - ~134m of climbing:

Especially for you:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/hampsh ... 6923798246
  • ketsbaia
    Yep. Got that one thanks, DVV. Featured in this year's Magnificat, if I'm not mistaken.
  • DVV
    DVV Posts: 126
    No worries!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    edited September 2010
    Just at thought for the next project, once you've finished the South East 100: I've just spent a week in East Devon (near Axminster), and the area is littered with steep climbs. One in particular caught my eye whilst browsing the map was Ball Lane, leading up from Farway. About 150m height gain in a mile, with two sections steeper than 1 in 5, and a third steeper than 1 in 7.

Here

EDIT: I've checked out the gradient in more detail, and virtually all of the 489ft of ascent is within the middle half mile :shock:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    Could do with some slightly further afield, though.

Hampshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Essex (?) and Sussex are pretty under-represented at the moment.
    Whiteleaf is reputed to be the toughest but I have yet to ride it!
    Come to hilly Princes Risborough.

There are few hills as long as say Leith Hill, but Whiteleaf Hill and its West face, Kop Hill, are both worth a climb. Then there are a few I like for reasons of countryside: any of the climbs to Bledlow Ridge are nice, but my favourite is a gentle ascent from Town End towards Chinnor; I like the view/climb from West Wycombe to Wheeler End on Bullocks Farm Lane, and the climb out of Hambleden valley (quite beautiful in itself) via Fingest towards Stokenchurch. The climb from Risborough to Lacey Green is rewarded by the excellent beer in the Whip Inn at the top. The foot of Pulpit Hill has the excellent Plough Inn at Cadsden. In fact, there are loads of similar length hills and pubs I could mention...

I have no idea about the statistics on any of these, though. I cycle for fun.
  • ketsbaia
    Cheers, Laughingboy. To be honest, the stats were only there to limit the choice - as I'm finding, there are hundreds of hills people ride up frequently, each with its own story.

Will make sure I get a visit to the Whip Inn, for sure.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Lauren Hill
    Harry Hill
    Jimmy Hill?
  • ketsbaia
    Quick update.

Yes, I know it's not the south east.