Hills of the south east

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
Evening all.

I'm compiling a list of 100 hills in the south east with a view to climbing them all in the coming year and writing about the experience along the way.

I'm fairly sure I've got SE London/NW Kent covered, along with a few of the obvious Surrey Hills such as Whitedown, Ranmore Common and Box Hill, but outside that I'm stumped.

My criteria are that they should be at least 500 metres long and have a vertical height gain of around 75 metres or so, but that's flexible as long as the hill has some kind of local mystique, is in a particularly lovely area or has a great pub at the top/bottom/very close by.

Suggestions used in the blog I'm going to be doing on this will be acknowledged.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• white down is fairly short so not sure if fits ... check out the guildford challenge and surrey legs of steel routes on bikely -- you basically can knock these out as a single circuit in about 60 miles in a few hours ... not sure you'ld have much more than a sentence to write about each, though.

i also recall someone in the dulwich paragon cycling club has a web site with all the major climbs marked on a map.

leith hill (technically highest point in the south east, but can't access the top on a road bike -- steepest way is towards coldharbor, taking friday street or pasture wood) -- and pub near the top
    boar hill (direction from coldharbor over to leith)
    pitch hill -- from ewhurst up hounds lane to shere is the steepest route -- can go to the pub in peaslake or start at the pub in ewhurst
    holmsbury -- two pubs (and a beautiful church)
    combe bottom from shere to ranmore -- go to the pub in shere prior
    winterfold (the worst of the lot) up barhatch
    st marthas
    shere road from west hoathly towards ranmore (go down combe bottom this time to shere for the pub; two pubs in w hoathly)
    short 20% climb when turn left when reaching west humble towards polesdon lacey (likely doesn't fit criteria)
    the 1 mile climb from dorking to ranmore past denbies (and stopping at top for a cream tea at st barnabas on a sunday)

also recommend you check out -- or do -- the mid sussex hillier audax in october, as that takes in several great hills (if you consider ditchling beacon, ashdown forest as SE).
  • Add in Rushmoor to Hindhead along Tilford Road, South Harting to Uppark, and Hill lane from just East of S Harting to the Chichester Road. Bury Hill just NW of Arundel. Both climbs up to Goodwood racecourse from the North.
    BTW what is the definition of the SE, anywhere East of the Solent maybe?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I didnt know you had hills in the South-East.

Flyovers dont count you know. :wink:
  • ketsbaia
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, south east is a bit vague, isn't it? I'd guess it does have to be east of the Solent really. And south of Watford Gap services on the M1.

Some good ideas there, though. Do keep them coming.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Watlington Hill on the edge of the Chilterns is a nice climb. You start in the village of Watlington and cycle past a pub on the left along a long straight road with a few houses on the right hand side. If you look up at the hillside to your right you will notice a tall thin triangle of chalk cut out of the hillside. This was done by the local Lord who didn't like the Norman (square topped) church and decided he wanted a steeple. Rather than convert the church he used the hillside behind to create the illusion of a steeple!

Any way back to the climb. It starts off steeply with a 10% kick but then settles back to a steady 7%. The views to your left are along the edge of the Chilterns as they kick up from the Oxfordshire plains which stretch out behind you. If you want to celebrate your ascent there is a pub a couple of hundred meters to the right at the cross roads.

Turville Hill aka the Windmill Climb. This starts in the Hambleden Valley which is littered with short hard climbs. The climb starts on the road from Fingest heading towards Turville. A right turn is taken towards Ibstone and immediately the hill kicks up to 8-9% and this ramps continues for a two hundred meters before settling back to 6-7%. As it begins to level off you will notice behind some large gates a windmill which is the one used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Straight after this and you are on a fantastic ridge line with views across the top of the Hambleden Valley with the village of Turville down below you. If you keep going straight on through Ibstone then you will approach Stokenchurch and the northern Chilterns alternatively just before entering Ibstone you can turn left and descend the steepest road in the Hambleden valley but be warned the surface is not the best at the top.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • ketsbaia
    Brilliant stuff, Feltup. That's exactly what I'm after.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get on the Pilgrims way near Maidstone, you have,

Boxley hill, short but 17% average.
    Hollingbourne Hill.
    Coldblow Lane.
    Hubbards Hill.
    Then you also have Charing Hill, White Hill.

You also have climbs out of Rochester/Borstal that the tour used a few years ago.

Head out to Wouldham and West malling you have Rootham hill as well.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    dmclite wrote:
    Get on the Pilgrims way near Maidstone, you have,

Boxley hill, short but 17% average.
    Hollingbourne Hill.
    Coldblow Lane.
    Hubbards Hill.
    Then you also have Charing Hill, White Hill.

You also have climbs out of Rochester/Borstal that the tour used a few years ago.

Head out to Wouldham and West malling you have Rootham hill as well.

don't you mean Wrotham
  • ketsbaia
    Righto, I've got about 60 now.

Could do with some suggestions in Hampshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and a few more in Sussex.

Thanks for all the tips so far. It's been fascinating looking up all these places already. Can't wait to have a crack at them.
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Righto, I've got about 60 now.

Could do with some suggestions in Hampshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and a few more in Sussex.

Thanks for all the tips so far. It's been fascinating looking up all these places already. Can't wait to have a crack at them.

Some Sussex Roads:

Battery Hill, Fairlight (long with varying gradients)
    Chick Hill, Cliff End near Fairlight (short but steep)
    Ditchling Beacon; north of Brighton and near Hassocks
    Firle Beacon: dead end 'Bopeep Lane', situated east of West Firle
    Firle Beacon: dead end lane 'Firle Bostal'. leading up from West Firle
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    Also;

Mill Hill. Shoreham
    Steyning Bostal, Steyning.
  • ketsbaia
    Cheers, DS.

I had Battery Hill and Ditchling Beacon, but the rest are new to me.
  • Feltup
    There are no hills in Berkshire worth mentioning unless you go west of Newbury and then you are outside of your self imposed area. OK, I lied there is Winter Hill which climbs at about 7% but has a steeper 10+% hairpin with a hideously cut up surface. The views across Marlow especially when it is getting dark are nice and the top of the hill leaves you with a good run down the ridge to Cookham if you take the first left just after the top.

Buckinghamshire again and you have Pheasants Hill which starts from Hambleden village and heads up the side of the valley in a series of steep and less steep steps. Hambleden is used a lot in TV and Film. Band of Brothers, Little Britain "have you got a copy of gay times?", Vicar of Dibley etc. If you prefer it steeper then as you head through Pheasants take the left turn which leads across the hillside to short but nasty hill. This one is 20% and can be very hard to get up if it is damp because it has a poor surface and has a full covering arch of trees which make it even more slippery. It is a good test of your ability to put power down smoothly.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Feltup wrote:
    Watlington Hill on the edge of the Chilterns is a nice climb. You start in the village of Watlington and cycle past a pub on the left along a long straight road with a few houses on the right hand side. If you look up at the hillside to your right you will notice a tall thin triangle of chalk cut out of the hillside. This was done by the local Lord who didn't like the Norman (square topped) church and decided he wanted a steeple. Rather than convert the church he used the hillside behind to create the illusion of a steeple!

Any way back to the climb. It starts off steeply with a 10% kick but then settles back to a steady 7%. The views to your left are along the edge of the Chilterns as they kick up from the Oxfordshire plains which stretch out behind you. If you want to celebrate your ascent there is a pub a couple of hundred meters to the right at the cross roads.

Turville Hill aka the Windmill Climb. This starts in the Hambleden Valley which is littered with short hard climbs. The climb starts on the road from Fingest heading towards Turville. A right turn is taken towards Ibstone and immediately the hill kicks up to 8-9% and this ramps continues for a two hundred meters before settling back to 6-7%. As it begins to level off you will notice behind some large gates a windmill which is the one used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Straight after this and you are on a fantastic ridge line with views across the top of the Hambleden Valley with the village of Turville down below you. If you keep going straight on through Ibstone then you will approach Stokenchurch and the northern Chilterns alternatively just before entering Ibstone you can turn left and descend the steepest road in the Hambleden valley but be warned the surface is not the best at the top.

Couple of things here.

The hairpin bend to the left at the bottom of Watlington Hill tops out at around 16% and is the first indication that the hill can be a killer. Agreed it does straighten out to a nice 7 or 8% to the top. The road surface is now diabolical- especially noticeable on the very scary descent!!

The road you refer to as Turville Hill is actually Fingest Hill and is much more than the 8 0r 9% you credit it with. It has a chevron marking on an OS Exploreer map meaning it ios at least 14%- certainly feeel like it. I have never been able to see the windmill from the road- haven't actually stopped and explored yet though.
    Turville Hill is reached by turning right at the village of Fingest and doing an immediate left. Never ridden this one yet, though.

Other Hills of note are Streatly Hill of ToB fame, Britwell Hill near Watlington, Aston Hill- more like a slight Alpine climb and several shortish but very sahrp and technical hills around Henly such as Round Hill near Fawley ;~)
  • ketsbaia
    Great stuff.

I'm up to around 75 now, so just 25 to go.
  • Streatley Hill is a great training hill and is in Berkshire.
    If you're coming from Reading head NW to Woodcote, down from Woodcote to Goring, cross the Thames and then straight up Strealey Hill.

If you're after a long ride you could stay on that road to Newbury and keep heading South for some good hills (Walbury Hill is SW of Newbury).
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    be interested to know what info you have on Kent as that is where I live. Any info on gradients and distance climbed would be good
  • ketsbaia
    graham1871 wrote:
    If you're after a long ride you could stay on that road to Newbury and keep heading South for some good hills (Walbury Hill is SW of Newbury).

Ah yes. Walbury was the first real climb on the Magnificat. OK climb, that.
  • ketsbaia
    sherer wrote:
    be interested to know what info you have on Kent as that is where I live. Any info on gradients and distance climbed would be good

Got a fair few in Kent, which I'll post later. No info on gradients/distance, though, but will doubtless post links to the blog when I do the actual climbs.
  • Feltup
    The hairpin bend to the left at the bottom of Watlington Hill tops out at around 16% and is the first indication that the hill can be a killer. Agreed it does straighten out to a nice 7 or 8% to the top. The road surface is now diabolical- especially noticeable on the very scary descent!!
    If you take the inside line it is probably 16% but swing it a bit wide and it is not nearly as bad. I used to ride it up and down on my fixie so it can't be that bad!

The road you refer to as Turville Hill is actually Fingest Hill and is much more than the 8 0r 9% you credit it with. It has a chevron marking on an OS Exploreer map meaning it ios at least 14%- certainly feeel like it. I have never been able to see the windmill from the road- haven't actually stopped and explored yet though.
    Turville Hill is reached by turning right at the village of Fingest and doing an immediate left. Never ridden this one yet, though.

http://tinyurl.com/27sqzx9 you sure? It shows it as Turville Hill on the map. I rode it again the other night and you are right it is nearer 14% for the first ramp. The road to the right of it on the map is a lot narrower and has a steeper section nearer the top. The sides of it in places seem to be subsiding thoughwhich can be fun if you meet a car at that point!

Other Hills of note are Streatly Hill of ToB fame. Very fast descent! Hit 52mph down there in the dark and scared myself whitless!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • The road you refer to as Turville Hill is actually Fingest Hill and is much more than the 8 0r 9% you credit it with. It has a chevron marking on an OS Exploreer map meaning it ios at least 14%- certainly feeel like it. I have never been able to see the windmill from the road- haven't actually stopped and explored yet though.

http://tinyurl.com/27sqzx9 you sure? It shows it as Turville Hill on the map. I rode it again the other night and you are right it is nearer 14% for the first ramp. The road to the right of it on the map is a lot narrower and has a steeper section nearer the top. The sides of it in places seem to be subsiding thoughwhich can be fun if you meet a car at that point!

You're absolutely right-apologies- had a couple of beers last night :D The views from the top of this hill make it all worthwhile! I've been riding around here for a few weeks as part of a longer loop from Abingdon-Pangbourne-Henley-Stokenchurch via Ibstone and Oxford.
    The hill you refer to as Pheasants Hill, is that the one that leads up to the vineyard at Hambledon (on my map as Dudley Lane)? Looks very steep but have only ever descended it.... very gingerly!!

I'm thinking Streatley Hill in the dark is deathwish territory :shock:
  • If you fancy a day out the Surrey Legs of Steel ride is quite hard http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=22587
  • Feltup
    planetzed wrote:
    You're absolutely right-apologies- had a couple of beers last night :D The views from the top of this hill make it all worthwhile! I've been riding around here for a few weeks as part of a longer loop from Abingdon-Pangbourne-Henley-Stokenchurch via Ibstone and Oxford.
    The hill you refer to as Pheasants Hill, is that the one that leads up to the vineyard at Hambledon (on my map as Dudley Lane)? Looks very steep but have only ever descended it.... very gingerly!!

I'm thinking Streatley Hill in the dark is deathwish territory :shock:

Pheasants is the other side of the valley, you cycle right through Hambleden Village if coming from Mill End or past the old bakery and in to the village if coming from up the valley.

The one which goes past Luxters Vineyard is hard work as a climb because it just gets steeper as you climb then you have that extra bit at the top when you think it is all over. It is a bit stoney and potholed for safe fast descending!

I've only been faster down Kirkstone Pass in the Lakes and that wasn't as scary as Streatley in the dark. I did wonder if I had remembered the bottom corner correctly and luckily I had as I didn't leave myself too much room for error. :roll:

Apparently Kop Hill Road south east of Princess Risborough is also a very fast descent but I haven't managed to get over there since I heard about it. Some nice hills over that way but can't remember their names.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Muzzlehatch
    Muzzlehatch Posts: 20
    edited August 2010
    A few goodies on the Surrey/Hampshire border:

80m B3004, East Worldham
    90m The lane that heads west by the pub in Oakhanger
    95m Brightstone Lane, Four Marks
    100m Redlands Lane/The Hollow/Heath Lane, Crondall
    *120m Brockham Hill Lane, Holybourne

Also, a few gooduns around Haslemere (not sure of elevation gain):

Lynchmere
    Camelsdale
    Fernden Lane
    *Tennyson's Lane, Blackdown

*Holybourne and Blackdown are the tougher ones IMO, especially if you go up Tennyson's lane via Jay's Lane.
  • ketsbaia
    Brilliant. Thanks, Muzzlehatch.
  • alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    Some of the steeper hills in the north east Chilterns area:

Bison Hill, Whipsnade - 79 m ascent in 0.97 km
    Aston Hill, Wendover - 85 m in 1.08 km
    Whiteleaf Hill (Peters Lane), Princes Risborough - 132 m in 1.36 km
    Kop Hill Road, Princes Risborough - 105 m in 1.15 km

figures according to bikehike.
  • Bexley Hill from Lickfold to Easebourne, 141m over 2Km
    Lurgashall to Haslemere over Fernden Lane 167m over 4km.
    Both very steep towards the top, still got the scars when I fell off the side of the road on Fernden Lane.
  • ketsbaia
    Right. I've got 102, so now starts the tricky bit of climbing 'em.

First up.
  • Old Winchester Hill, Warnford, Hampshire. 2.91km,117m
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/hamps ... 5732840987

Beacon Hill, Exton, Hampshire. 3km, 129m
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 9834535733