This Forum is in ruins.......

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Tavares.Forum.Romanum.redux.jpg

Not an original idea ...but hey, it amused me.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    :D
    Steve C
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    frankie-howerd2.jpg
    Titter ye not!

:lol::lol: Nice one TWH :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • :lol:

I'm going to have to nick this
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Amazing how old ruins get popular as time goes by :lol:

Hey, should we charge to enter?!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    AH! Roma, bellisimo!

Was there a few years back, and I was the ONLY one who knew the answer to the guides question...

Who were the last 2 fighters in the Colluseum?

YEP, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee, though it was probably filmed mostly in Hong Kong!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    Splottboy wrote:
    AH! Roma, bellisimo!

Was there a few years back, and I was the ONLY one who knew the answer to the guides question...

Who were the last 2 fighters in the Colluseum?

YEP, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee, though it was probably filmed mostly in Hong Kong!

Fella if thats true its the single greatest fact of all time!

(the Chuck and Bruce bit, not you knowing it, though that's pretty cool too)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • supersonic
    Chuck Norris vs Bruce Lee, hmmm.

Mr Miyagi would have them both. Wax off!
  • Splottboy
    BEST fight ever filmed, except maybe Jonh Waynes with Victor McGlaggen...

Bruce and Chuck apparently were good mates, and I believe Bruce requested him.

My old instructor/grading assessor, Hee Ill Cho was the Korean coach in "Best of the Best."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    supersonic wrote:
    Chuck Norris vs Bruce Lee, hmmm.

Mr Miyagi would have them both. Wax off!
    No flies on you ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • supersonic
    Best fight I ever saw was a sword fight between two people who I can't remember then names of, in a film I can't remember the name of either.

I think I should have thought a bit harder before I posted that.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Splottboy wrote:
    My old instructor/grading assessor, Hee Ill Cho was the Korean coach in "Best of the Best."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0158633/bio

If that bio is accurate, he definitely meets the description of "Absolutely Nails".
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Best fight I saw was outside a Kebab shop, one guy vs several. It was a masacre.

On another note I see the funny side of that image.

On a separate note I don't entirely agree with the split or with the mods but that's their decision, I was only having fun arguing with them.

Going as far as to warrant a ban is silly...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Splottboy
    Hee Ill Cho is the real deal.

Apparently, some huge cowboy wandered into his Dojang late one night , and wanted a fight. He refused, many times.
    But guy was pissed so launched at him.
    Cho broke the guys ribs, and give him a headache. ( Cho isn't very big.)
    Cops arrive, give Cho hardtime til story come out.

Anyway, relates the story to a Korean Hapkido master just down the road few days later.
    Guy say's "Oh yeah, he came into my Dojang first. I told him that you'd want a fight so I directed him to your place..."

Nice mate huh?

Can't recall mates name, but he was Hapkido master who did the stuff for "Billy Jack".
  • Splottboy
    Just came to me...Bong Soo Han.

9th Dan Hapkido Master.

Hapkido is sort of Korean Judo/Aikido, but much more than that really.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    supersonic wrote:
    Best fight I ever saw was a sword fight between two people who I can't remember then names of, in a film I can't remember the name of either.

I think I should have thought a bit harder before I posted that.

Oh I know that one, it is in that film that was shot in the place!

:P That is the kind of descriptor I give, and damn if I ain't good at getting people confused by actually knowing what I am talking about too WHAHAHAHAHAHA
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Practical Rome tip :

The same ticket gets you into the Roman Forum (picture above) and the colosseum. As there are 2 ticket offices go to the Roman Forum first in the morning and buy your ticket there. Then once you have been around that go to the colosseum and walk straight to the front past the massive queues.

There is always a massive queue for the colosseum but the one for the forum is much smaller and you can do both in a day.

Travellers tips end.

Oh and Rome is amazing!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • Rome tip:

There are no nice hotels in Rome.
  • Rome tip : I stayed in a little apartment 5 minutes walk from the colosseum. It was perfect and cheap. Just round the corner was the most amazing bakery for fresh bread and coffee in the morning!

Rome tip : If you are going to eat in the centre always walk an extra 5 minutes away from nearest major attraction and down a side street. It will be cheaper and better!

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • ha ha.....

THE BIGGEST ROME TIP!!!!

You have to develop cahunas of steel to cross the road. Lock eyes with a driver, commit to your course, don't stop, never hesitate or deviate and always walk like you own the road. Drivers WILL stop.

Spent a good half an hour eating some slices of pizza on some steps behind the capitol museum laughing at people at a major junction who hadn't yet developed cahunas of steel.

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • No, the biggest Rome tip is this:

Avoid it like the plague in the summer. If you must go, go in October/November.

Oh and NEVER take a taxi from a tout. Always join the queue.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Hotel Locarno just off Piazza del Popolo is one of my favorite hotels in the world.

I expecially like the fact thair 'Airport Car' is a stretched Mercedes S600 with tinted windows and full uniformed driver. Cruising down Via Del Corso people take pictures and try to look inthough the dark glass.

It's wicked.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Yeah, looks a typical Rome hotel - lovely common areas, decidedly sketchy rooms.

Trouble is, I stay in waaaay too many hotels for work, and have become very picky.
  • I went for 5 days late Feb this year. Weather was just nice enough for jeans, tshirt and a coat or jumper and it wasn't insanely busy.

Like Lit says avoid it like the plague in summer!!!!

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yeah, looks a typical Rome hotel - lovely common areas, decidedly sketchy rooms.

Trouble is, I stay in waaaay too many hotels for work, and have become very picky.

Rooms aren't sketchy, they are excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • :oops: Whilst in Rome climb Garibaldi's hill, on foot it's an easy walk -take a picnic & you're rewarded with a lovely vista of the city . Well worth the effort!!!!!
  • The cappuchin crypt is well worth a little visit. A crypt under a church where everything is made from the bones of the monks and their 'families'. Some of the bones / skeletons are very small in a childlike way.

Free to get in barring a small 'donation'.

About a 10 minute walk from the Spanish Steps. (which are the biggest let down of the main attractions)

Tip : Don't let gypsies put string round your finger.

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I love rome....

We usually book an apartment in Trastevere....

Then just walk everywhere....

agree about summer....its too hot...go feb-april, or october-november.

If it does get really hot.....big marble buildings are really cool inside....now if only Rome had some of those... :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Splottboy
    I went,

I saw,

I spent a bloody fortune.

( Worth every penny, Euro, Lira...)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    cjcp wrote:
    Splottboy wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0158633/bio

If that bio is accurate, he definitely meets the description of "Absolutely Nails".

Reminds me a bit of the master at Wing Chun classes I used to attend many years ago, a guy called Austin Goh. Certainly falls into the Absolutely Nails category.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW8JQBX-YCI