Pedal Threads

Red Rider
Red Rider Posts: 93
edited August 2010 in The workshop
I've just tried to put some Look Keo pedals on what I think is an 80s Stronglight crank, but no joy. The threads look the same as the threads on the pedals that are already on there (Atom 600) but are, seemingly, different.

I'm a bit stupid. Are all pedal threads not the same?

I really want to put on a pair of clipless. Help... please?

Thanks,
RR

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    They *should* have a standard 9/16" pedal thread, though they could conceivably have the slightly smaller 1/2" thread. They could also be damaged. What's the problem you're having in fitting the new pedals?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and make sure you have not confused the direction.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=83
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • @ Nick - I'm pretty sure I've got the direction right :s - well, certin really. I checked far more than once before risking coming on here and looking very stupid... :oops:

@whyamihere - there is a slightly smaller thread size? Why? Why would they do this to me? :cry: ! Is there anyway I can check this? (Other than not being ble to fit two different paris of pedals on?!)

The problem is that the Look pedal wont screw on. I got one of them to start going in but it felt really really tight: seemed to be stripping thread - not just stiff.

Can I buy clipless 1/2" thread pedals?

Thanks for your quick replies.
  • Think I may have stumbled across my own answer...

Cranks and pedals are French and made to their now obsolete 14x125 standard. Apparently I can get the cranks "tapped" to fit normal pedals.

That shouldn't be too painful on the wallet at the LBS, should it?

Sorry for answering my own question within two hours. Posting seemed to focus my mind!

RR
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Red Rider wrote:
    Think I may have stumbled across my own answer...

Cranks and pedals are French and made to their now obsolete 14x125 standard. Apparently I can get the cranks "tapped" to fit normal pedals.

That shouldn't be too painful on the wallet at the LBS, should it?

Sorry for answering my own question within two hours. Posting seemed to focus my mind!

RR
    Ah, I thought the French standard had been got rid of before the 80s...

9/16" is indeed larger than 14mm, so in theory they can be tapped to take the larger thread. I'd try to track down a local engineering firm rather than a bike shop though, they're more likely to have the tools and probably more likely to do a better job, unless your LBS is exceptionally good at restoring old bikes.
  • Ah, I thought the French standard had been got rid of before the 80s...
    My ignorance really knows no bounds and my bike may be older than I thought.

I'm off to hunt down an engineer.

Thanks
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    The bad news is, if your cranks have 14x125 threads for the pedals, they will likely have the Stronglight 23.35 mm threads for the crank extractor too (Stronglight used French pedal threads until the early eighties) - not to be confused with TA's 23mm thread. Make sure you use the correct extractor. A good, competent bike shop might be better than an engineer without bike experience, because they might not have a left hand tap - and the bike shop might have a Stronglight extractor.