Weird, numb fingers thing??

kathg
kathg Posts: 142
edited August 2010 in Women
Hey all,

Got back from first experience of alpine riding at weekend, it was totally amazing except that after one huge descent (2000 m) in Meribel the fingers of my right hand had gone all kinda rubbery and numb feeling! It took about a week to go away and grip to be back to normal strength. Anyone had this before...? What do people reckon it could be from??? I thought possibly just the rattley, vibration thing? Could it mean my forks were set up all wrong or maybe I was squeezing the beejesus out of my bars... who knows? :( . I have to admit I find the whole 'how do you set up suspension and forks thing a bit of a mystery'!!
Any suggestions/ideas would be welcome. Don't fancy 'rubber fingers' again on big descents!

Kathg

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just a heads up, there's a similar thread over here too
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 72&start=0
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Ergon ergonomic grips usually solve it, not cheap though.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • kathg
    Thanks for the tip poppit, will give them a go next time we go to Alps. Fingers totally fine on all riding done around home trails since we got back... must just be those very long rattly descents.

Kathg
  • Anonymous
    If it's only long descents, then it sound like brake induced arm pump. Try and set your brake levers so they "bite" closer to the grips, so your fingers aren't stretched at all whilst covering the brakes.
    Also, something like a powerball will strengthen forearms, reducing the pain.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as Yeehaam says.

brake levers too far away from the grips.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Tha's Mr McGee to you, Nick :wink:
  • kathg
    Thanks for tips guys. I'm not sure about the brake lever thing as the only finger that wasn't numb was my brake finger! I do however, often find myself two finger braking which obviously only leaves little finger and ring finger on the bars and these two were def the most numb and bizarrely rubbery and useless! I still will look at my brake lever position though as I don't think its right that I feel uncomfortable on very steep descents 1 finger braking!
    My hand and finger strength should be good as I do a lot of climbing and bouldering too! I also think it could just have been fear making me grip the bars so hard!

Thanks again.

Kathg
  • Hi Kath G,

I motorbike as well as mountain bike, and tend to get the weird numb fingered thing when gripping the bejeeezus out of my handlebars. Overly gripping the handlebars increases the amount of vibes that get transferred to your fingers, which produces what's called "white finger" in your hands, causing that horrible numbness.
    Try to grip a bit less, or cheat like me and buy a highly padded/gel grip gloves! :lol:

Hope this helps.

Nic
    Nic

"Oh god! I am GOING to DIE!! ............... AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!"