Bike Route Assistance Worcester to Cardiff.

voltemands
voltemands Posts: 13
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Hey all,

I am looking at riding from worcester to cardiff in october to go see my brother and my 10 mile commute to work no longer feels like a challenge.

I am looking for a sensible route from one to t'other, or alternatively a tool to help me dcide the route.

Any resources or being pointed in the direction of a curent route will be appreciated.

Comments

• Have you looked at this? Not sure if it has routes for out there, but its a useful resource none the less - http://www.cyclestreets.net/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I don't know enough about the roads around there to give anything specific, other than to suggest using the Wye valley as a basis, 'cause the scenery is lovely (and it runs in roughly the right direction). Over a fair distance, you want the view to be nice I reckon.

A quick look at Googlemaps suggests Greta Malvern => Ledbury => Ross-on-Wye => Monmouth => Newport => Cardiff. Maybe use that as a basis, then adjust as necessary to avoid dual carriageways, etc.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This is from the AA website (avoiding motorways):

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/inde ... |Worcester,
    %20Worcestershire|STREET|384824|254904|toNode=238260035798936
    |Cardiff,%20Cardiff|STREET|318125|176479

But, the A449 into Newport (where you pick up the A48 into Cardiff) isn't a pleasant road for bikes. It has some fast descents, but it's essentially a fast cut-through for those coming down off the M5 (via the M50) into Wales, without paying for the Bridge.

The A48 isn't wonderful either.

Soooo, if you have time, I'd go across country, into the Beacons, and drop down through Blackwood (either via Y Fenni or Ebbw Vale), onto Caerphilly, into Cardiff.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I have no useful advice to add, I'm afraid, but was just wondering why it is that some posts completely duff up the width of columns?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which browser are you using? I find the pages work best in IE if you use the Compatibilty View function.

If it persists, please take a snapshot and post in the Office section where the monkeys, erm, other bods will have a look ;-)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Seems to come and go on Safari.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and the web address. Hopefully I won't be such a noob for much longer.

Thanks again.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Which browser are you using? I find the pages work best in IE if you use the Compatibilty View function.

If it persists, please take a snapshot and post in the Office section where the monkeys, erm, other bods will have a look ;-)

Firefox... I'll take a snapshot for your primate pals.
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    I used Ride with GPS recently to plot a route to my Sisters house:

http://www.ridewithgps.com/

It gives you a nice elevation chart too.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5