Total Recall

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
So I was watching Total Recall and thought to myself, what a great film.

Then I got all existential so I ask....

Was it a dream as part of the memory implant?

Or was it real and Douglas Quaid was the product of a previous memory implant?

Then I got to thinking, do/did I actually ride my bike from work to home or was it me passed out on the tube dreaming that I was riding?

Obviously there's the walk home - this is the point where you have to suspend belief.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I watched it too thinking how rubbish animatronics was (even at it's peak) and also how hot Sharon Stone was when she was younger...

As for your implant idea - isn't Sharon Stone hot.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    It's whatever you want it to be. Though listening to the commentary (yes, I am that sad), it's clear that Verhoeven intended it to be a dream.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Get to the chopper!

Oh, no, wait... As you were.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2010
    Greg, I thought the animatronics was good. I prefer animatronics to CGI. StarWars old, classic and fuzzy to the new digitalised versions being a great example.

Zach, I have always wondered if I would ever meet a person who has sat through DVD commentry, Thank you. Now I'm going to find out if dogs can look up.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Was it a dream as part of the memory implant? - This one I'm sure of it!

Then I got to thinking, do/did I actually ride my bike from work to home or was it me passed out on the tube dreaming that I was riding? - Have a couple of pints and watch the truman show. :twisted:

Obviously there's the walk home - this is the point where you have to suspend belief.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    Do you think they ever filmed Truman... do it.

In fact what if Truman had been a mass murder, do you think they'd have carried on with the show? I mean the rating would have gone through the roof!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Agent57 wrote:
    Get to the chopper!

Oh, no, wait... As you were.

tsk. What's the matter? The CIA have got you pushing too many pencils?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Then I got to thinking, do/did I actually ride my bike from work to home or was it me passed out on the tube dreaming that I was riding?

The clue is when he goes for his "holiday" it's called "Blue Sky on Mars".
    So everything after that is the holiday. (Since that's how it ends.)
    Only problem now is that when it's over he's going to hate his wife.

Your ride home was probably real. Total Recall is ficton, after all.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I was watching Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift and thinking that is the worst and least realistic depiction of life in Japan I have ever seen... Ever.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I was watching Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift and thinking that is the worst and least realistic depiction of life in Japan I have ever seen... Ever.

Imagine my surprise when having studied "Emmanuel in Paris" diligently I was at no point, during my recent visit to the French Capital, invited to "ave' a good time" by two attractive and very enthusiastic young ladies.

I hope to have better luck with "Prague Delights"
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Greg T wrote:

Imagine my surprise when having studied "Emmanuel in Paris" diligently I was at no point, during my recent visit to the French Capital, invited to "ave' a good time" by two attractive and very enthusiastic young ladies.

I hope to have better luck with "Prague Delights"

Fair point! I suppose American tourists arriving in London having seen Mary Poppins might expect chimney sweeps dancing on every corner...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Imagine my surprise when I changed my name to Debbie and visited Dallas.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That was you LiT :shock: Sorry.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    LIT don't forget you have to visit Des Moines and Dusseldorf too before changing your name back, at least I seem to think they are the right names from My Stepmother is an Alien.

I had such a bad holiday in america, I saw these people abducted by local residents and went in trying to help. I even had my chainsaw to cut their bonds but just because I like wearing a leather mask they kept running away or attacking me!
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    When he starts his experience he is asked what type of woman he would like and he picks 'sleazy' - if you look at the woman in the video monitor it's the woman he fights along side on Mars. He's in a dream, sure of it.
  • DonDaddyD
    Bunneh wrote:
    When he starts his experience he is asked what type of woman he would like and he picks 'sleazy' - if you look at the woman in the video monitor it's the woman he fights along side on Mars. He's in a dream, sure of it.

Is it exactly the same woman because I distinctly recall (no pun) a computer generated image of a brown haired woman, athletic and sleezy.

It could have been Howser's memories influencing his ideal woman.

I did wonder why if that was his ideal woman why was his wife blonde..... Then again I'm always trying to get Ms DDD to dye her hair red and put on Vulcan ears.... :lol:
    Food Chain number = 4