Things in your helmet!

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
This year more than ever I seem to get nasties fly inside my CRASH helmet, it makes for a very uncomfortable feeling and can induce slight panic due to it being a UFO...and therefore could be a wasp/bee. I keep thinking it would be a good idea if helmets had a fine mesh covering the vents but this seems quite rare....isn't it?

Comments

• Aha!

I KNEW there'd be evidence that helmets are dangerous eventually...
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    where a cotton cop, also stops sweat going in your eyes :)

doesnt matter that i have no hair so if i didnt wear a cap under helmet id have some funny lines on my head
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    It's the ones that fly behind my glasses that really bother me. Insect mesh is pretty unusual, but I don't recall ever getting an insect buzzing around inside my helmet. They normally just collide and bounce off.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    had a moth fluttering around in mine for about 20 minutes on the dunwich dynamo this year. each time i thought i'd freed it i'd feel it fluttering about 20 seconds later. drove me nuts. not enough to actually stop though.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I found a slug in my helmet last week. I had rather lazily left my helmet on the lawn overnight.

Actually, I found in slug in my hair after a commute last week and my supposition was that it had come via the helmet.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    i had one go down my top the other day, zip half down and little bugger flew in and stung my chest
  • andy83 wrote:
    where a cotton cop

Is that like plastic Police? :D

Does a cap not make you hotter? I have a number one crop but still verge on getting too hot when it's above 15 degrees or so. I wear a bandana in the Winter (can pull it over my lugholes as well), maybe I should try that?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Butterflies don't half sting when they hit you going downhill at 20+ without a helmet :oops:
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Am I the only one thinking about Super Mario with that helmet pic?
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    hisoka wrote:
    Am I the only one thinking about Super Mario with that helmet pic?[/quote

Didn't realise Mario was so erm chunky in the flesh, he has moobs, must be the red overalls that hide them
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Is this going to turn into a real helmet debate? If so, I'll stick around. I've got a few views on the subject .
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    dondare wrote:
    Is this going to turn into a real helmet debate? If so, I'll stick around. I've got a few views on the subject .

not in this forum
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Here you go...

1-up-mushroom_1.jpg

Someone's giving me a very saucy look.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I found a hideous massive thing inside my helmet when I got home last night, my head! :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've got one bee-atch of a sprint-hill on my daily run. At the top of which you go past a dairy farm.

In other words just as you're spitting lung after going for your pb up the hill, all you get to breath is a light brown miasma of cow fart and evaporated flop.

.....and of course the bluebottles.

On two occasions I have snorted bluebottle. Unlike many other things that have disappeared up nasal cavities around the world over the years I can catagorically state that you would have to have the mother of all addictive personalities to get hooked.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • dondare wrote:
    Here you go...

1-up-mushroom_1.jpg

Someone's giving me a very saucy look.

Ain't me!

But she does look rather saucy.

And it's meant to be a 1-up mushroom.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    GregT wrote:
    I found cheese in my helmet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Maybe it's an East London / Essex Insect thing as I have had more than my fair share of insects flying into my helmet - usually on canal tow paths where the opportunity to panic is limited by the fear of ending up in the water. Of course, you also know that said insect is about to go into panic mode as well.

I thought it was just me!!

Mind you, it is better than the alternative. I had an insect hit my face and dart up my nostril and then sting me last year. Now that :!: hurt!!!
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Just for info I have a Met Duello which has mesh in the front four slots. Did'nt stop a bee getting stuck in the strap and stinging the side of my face though, that hurt for ages. But does stop the bugs getting at whats left of my hair.
  • I didn't like it a few weeks back when the ants were flying.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    +1 for the Met Duello, its what I use.
    For those of you that don't know what it looks like, here it is.
    helmet90.jpg

Comfy helmet, I like it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    My girlfriend got a bee or wasp in her mouth when cycling and it stung her on the tongue. I had to try really bloody hard not to laugh...

Anyway. I believe the classic solution to our problem is putting a cabbage leaf between your head and your helmet. Keeps you cool too, apparently. And if you're gunning it, you'll have a tasty snack of sweat-braised cabbage to keep you going - anything to take away the taste of coconut-flavour Powerbars eh...
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    I was stung on the top of my head by something last year, not sure what, the bugger had gone by the time I got the helmet off. It's the downside of efficient venting I suppose. That mesh filter looks a good solution. Does it collect flies like a car radiator grill?
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've never found anything stuck in there, but I've never had anything hit my scalp since I've been wearing it either. Maybe insects get scared of it and swerve off at the last moment? I've heard/felt many things hit the main body of the helmet, but nothing for the mesh.

Good idea though and what sold it for me.

• emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    Yes, I'll definitely be looking at that one at lid replacement time
  • EKE_38BPM
    I think you may have missed the boat on that one. I know Wiggle no longer stock it and I haven't seen it in any shops for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if Met don't have a new model out with a mesh in it too.

• Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Butterflies don't half sting when they hit you going downhill at 20+ without a helmet :oops:

beetles at 30mph + are worse and its just not a good look.

Mrs BW: You're bleeding, what happened?
    Me: Headbutted a beetle :oops:
    Mrs BW: oh