Have a go racing in Norwich this weekend

friso
friso Posts: 107
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
Hi

To complement the Tour Of Britain coming to Norfolk this year there is a 5 week crit series being run at the Norwich Airport park and ride

The first race was held last Sunday and was well attended however the more riders the merrier

We welcome riders and spectators to come and have a look and most importantly to support your local cycling community

This weekends event will be hosted by Streetlife Cycles and promises to be bigger and better than last week. There will be races for all abilities, coaching sessions for the kids to the novice Go-Race event right through to the 1st cat race

So if your always fancied having a go come along and ride the Go-Race event (20mins) or an expierienced racer try your luck around this twisty and tight circuit

See link below for more details
http://www.lotuscycleracing.org/CritsProg.html

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    So I could just turn up and have a go (novice event obviously)?, no pre-registration, no license needed etc etc?
  • friso
    Hi

Yes you can turn up and ride however you will need to sign in on the day and you will need to purchase a day licence when signing in on the day

The cost to enter the Go-Race event is £5 and the cost for the day licence is £5

British cycling also offers a race licence foc with their membership, but i would recommend having a go with a day licence first to see if you like it

It can be daunting to turn up for your first event but everyone is very friendly and welcoming and guidance is on hand

Please remember that helmets are mandatory and i would recommend wearing track mits to protect the hands

I hope you can attend
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    So £10 for a 20min "race"?, hmmm........
  • friso
    Hi

I have looked into the licence thing and it looks as if you dont need a licence to ride the Go-Race event (see link to BC) it will save you a fiver

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/ ... lities.pdf

I will check with the organisers and let you know

Even if you only try it once its worth every penny, trust me that 20 minutes will feel like an hour when your out there
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I raced the Go Race event this sunday and a great time I had indeed(got a 6th place). It only cost me £5 because I had a bronze BC membership through my club(its free if the club is BC affiliated).
    The race was extended to 30 mins+5 laps as they grouped the ladies and youth race in with us. If you are new to racing thats plenty long enough on a tight course with lots of accelerations out of the bends.
    Certainly worth going along if you want to get some experience and have some fun.
  • friso
    Hi Marcos

Glad you enjoyed the racing last Sunday

As part of the Streetlife team i am keen to get as many riders involved for our event this coming Sunday and make the Streetlife race the best one of the series so hopefully you will be there this weekend and please tell as many friends as posible to come along either to race or cheer you on or ideally both

I have seen your messages before so would be good to meet you in person

Im the 30 something guy on the black Boardman with the Extreme Sports Therapy kit on

Cheers
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    Think I'll give the Go-Race a crack this week. Looked fun!
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • friso
    Hi

Thats great

Who knows you may be the next Cavendish

See you there
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    friso wrote:
    Hi Marcos

Glad you enjoyed the racing last Sunday

As part of the Streetlife team i am keen to get as many riders involved for our event this coming Sunday and make the Streetlife race the best one of the series so hopefully you will be there this weekend and please tell as many friends as posible to come along either to race or cheer you on or ideally both

I have seen your messages before so would be good to meet you in person

Im the 30 something guy on the black Boardman with the Extreme Sports Therapy kit on

Cheers

Sadly got to work this sunday but I'll be riding the others when I can.