upgrades..?

Louiserrr_
Louiserrr_ Posts: 4
edited August 2010 in Women
Just got a new bike not to long ago, Giant brass 1, i had a wee shot on my friends and loved the way it felt to ride :D
i dont do any specific kind of riding and im not the best of riders either :P, just go out and do what i feel like that day for the love of it :D, so i thought this would be a good bike for me :) as much as i love it im not a fan of the forks and have heard bad things about them...

advice on new forks? and anything else i should maybe think about upgrading and suggestions on whats a good buy?

heres the specs

The Giant Brass 1 2010 Features are:

Frame: Giant AluxX aluminium, Fluid FormedTM

Fork: RST Launch RA w/ Rebound Adjust, 100mm

Gears: 8 SRAM X5

Shifters: SRAM X-Gen

Wheels: WTB Dual Duty FR, Double Wall Formula Formula Stainless Steel, 14g

Brakes: Tektro Alloy, 2-Finger Hayes MX-4 mechanical discs, 160mm rotors Hayes MX-4 mechanical discs, 160mm rotors

Drivetrain: SR Duro-S, Octalink, 32T w/ PC Guard crankset, Shimano BB-ES25 Octalink BB, KMC Z72 chain, SRAM PG830 11-28 cassette

cheers :)

Comments

• AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Hi Louise,

Those forks are pretty terrible. But the rest of the bike looks quite good for the kind of riding that you described. After the forks, i wouldn't bother upgrading the other stuff until it breaks. Well, maybe pedals, saddle and tyres - since these tend to be a rather personal choice.

How much are you looking to spend on the forks? A reasonably cheap upgrade would be anything from the Rock Shox Tora range. Great action, if a little on the heavy side. Just remember to check compatibility regarding IS or post mount calipers.
  • hey,

i dont really have a budget it will just be a case of when i can afford the forks i'll buy them,
    not looking to spend too much though, just after something thats good for the money and will withstand a bit of jumping and serve me well on the trails and whatever else i may throw at them :D what do you guys think are a good choice? :mrgreen:
  • AndyOgy
    Ok, well how about these then:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... rn_626.htm

Like I say, a little on the heavy side but really strong and with quite a smooth action. You have to spend quite a bit more before they come any lighter than this really. There is an air sprung version of this fork but coil sprung forks have a better action at this price.

This fork also provides a pretty full range of adjustment to cope with different types of riding.
  • thankyou for your help :D , i think i will look into getting these, seem to have pretty good reviews.
  • AndyOgy
    They should really change the feel of the whole bike. Cheap suspension forks can really mess up an otherwise good bike. I wish that manufacturers would just fit rigid forks if they can't afford a decent suspension fork.

In the meantime, have fun trashing the bikes current forks.