A return to peddling to combat Aching Legs

Philgr
Philgr Posts: 66
edited August 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Im sad to say i have been off my bike for approx. 8 months after tearing some ligaments in my ankle/foot and a combination of work & lazyness so i have lost most of the fitness i built over after i started peddling :(

I'm carrying approx. 1st more than i should and recently i have been experiencing rather uncomfortable leg aches after a day sitting at my desk or long car journeys

Tonight i came home from work and my legs were KILLING me, my normal thing is to soak in the bath, where the aching eases for a short period and then returns. but tonight i decided to jump back on the mountain bike for a short 4 mile road ride to see how i went.

first mile was murder, then was ok, legs felt a bit hollow (no strength) any type of incline and i was using the gears, i averaged 11.5mph and i was pretty pleased over all for a first ride out.

Aching legs much much better

so now i need a training plan to see if i can shed the extra 1st im carrying and get my fitness back and see if it helps to do away with the leg aches after a day of desk work.

Expect more posts, as i try to get back in the habit :)

Phil G
08 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
09 Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Comments

• timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I was there too. The more you get out the better but what I found to help a lot was nutrition. Have a look at what you're eating and drinking. I found the whole event of getting achy legs to be weird as I've never had that before. Stretching really helps and if you can, get a massage. I also did a detox for 30 days; it was a challenge but well worth it. You need to get the toxins out and replenish lost vitamins etc. A carb/electrolyte drink will help while riding, especially as you pick up the miles.
    And again, stretch. Those muscles have been sitting around too much. Loosen up, go for a swim.
    As for losing weight: all of the above. Plus, cut the fat out, booze etc.
    That'll do. Have fun!
    Many happy trails!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Drink tons of water, and keep stretching. I never used to need to stretch, but now I'm nearly hitting 30, I find I have to.