Cones on Embankment tonight

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
This could be in "Rants", perhaps prematurely, too, but am I right in thinking that the series of traffic cones on Embankment (between Blackfriars and Westminster) tonight were something to do with the London Tri yesterday and haven't been moved?

Grrrr.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    They just seemed to be blocking the parking spaces so not sure if that or some random extended parking restriction. Mind you, it was nice with no parked cars
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Stopped lots of parking though !!!!

so although a little inconvienient helped my Monday night long ride home
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • cjcp
    Yep, agree with the lack of parked cars - that was good, but the sudden appearance of cones was not so good.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    IIRC the cones weren't there on Sunday afternoon.

It could, just could mind, mean that a bike lane is going to be added to the westbound carriageway and they're keeping it clear... We'll see.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    Ah, good point.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wrath Rob
    Bike lane to go with the recent west bound resurfacing? You mean they're actually investing money in cycling? What ever next? A communal bike hire scheme? It will never happen I tell you, never!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Bike lane to go with the recent west bound resurfacing? You mean they're actually investing money in cycling? What ever next? A communal bike hire scheme? It will never happen I tell you, never!
    Careful Rob. It's comments like that that will consign this thread to the non-serious forum ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    JonGinge wrote:
    IIRC the cones weren't there on Sunday afternoon.

It could, just could mind, mean that a bike lane is going to be added to the westbound carriageway and they're keeping it clear... We'll see.

Fingers crossed. It would make sense given the new lane on the opposite carriageway. Hope it's not like CS7 - i.e. a cycle lane with the parking spaces still left on top. Also, would that mean that they are going to move all those tour buses that offload into the road?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wrath Rob
    JonGinge wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Careful Rob. It's comments like that that will consign this thread to the non-serious forum ;)

:lol:

Sorry, I've not adjusted to the regime change
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Apparently there are no plans for a westbound cycle lane. Not sure what the cones are for but they weren't there yesterday after London Tri.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    They were doing pretty hefty roadworks along there when I came through at about 10pm.
  • rjsterry
    So they're digging up the new bit of tarmac that they just laid? Or is this a bit further on?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    rjsterry wrote:
    So they're digging up the new bit of tarmac that they just laid? Or is this a bit further on?

Bit further on, past temple.
  • rjsterry
    Maybe the next length of resurfacing? Too much to hope for?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    Is it me or did they put new cycle lanes down today? Much better without parked cars!!!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    cjcp wrote:
    Is it me or did they put new cycle lanes down today? Much better without parked cars!!!

its actually does look like they've put a cycle lane along sections of it. so maybe i was wrong.

It definitely flows much quicker without parked cars.
  • rjsterry
    I've always thought it was bonkers that you could park there, let alone offloading tourist buses into the road.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• If this is the case then it will be a real plus for my longer rides home
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing