Another Hot Topic for today

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10904691

idiots
The annual World Sauna Championships in Finland have ended in tragedy with the death of one of the finalists.

Russian Vladimir Ladyzhensky and his Finnish rival, Timo Kaukonen, collapsed after suffering severe burns. Mr Ladyzhensky later died in hospital.

The event requires participants to withstand 110C (230F) for as long as possible. The men managed six minutes before judges noticed something amiss.

Its chief organiser said all the rules of the event had been followed.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

It is not so unusual to have 110 degrees in a sauna. A lot of competitors before have sat in higher temperatures than that”

End Quote Ossi Arvela Organiser, World Sauna Championships

"All the rules were followed and there were enough first aid personnel. All the competitors needed to sign in to the competition with a doctor's certificate," Ossi Arvela told reporters in Heinola, where it was held.

Half a litre of water was added to the stove inside the sauna every 30 seconds, and the last person remaining was the winner. There was no prize other than "some small things", he told the Associated Press.

"I know this is very hard to understand to people outside Finland who are not familiar with the sauna habit," he said. "It is not so unusual to have 110 degrees in a sauna. A lot of competitors before have sat in higher temperatures than that."

Mr Kaukonen, the defending world champion, had refused to leave the sauna during the final despite appearing sick, Mr Arvela said. He is now said to be in a stable condition in hospital.

Mr Arvela said police were already investigating Mr Ladyzhensky's death, which he said had left the organisers grief-stricken.

The event, which had over 130 participants from 15 countries, had been held since 1999. The organisers said it would never be held again.
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    As a spectator sport that sounds duller than cricket (or baseball)...
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Clever Pun wrote:

Can you post stories, not just links please

Many of us have filters/ firewalls at work that stop us accessing the stories linked to

Cheers :D
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    PS

I'm sure someone deserves to be hauled over the coals for this
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    spen666 wrote:
    PS

Chapeau!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    biondino wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    PS

Chateau!

No, more of a small hut...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • And the ball goes out for a throw in to Chelsea....now, quickly over to the Darwin preliminary playoffs from Finland, where we have, just maybe, an Award nomination in the offing. The boy Ladyz Hensky (say no more, nudge, nudge) from Russia has given it 110%, but you have to say that the big Scandinavian lad, Timo, he's really bottled it at the death. When it came to the Finnishing touch, his heart wasn't really in it. Now, back to Wembley where....
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    spen666 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Can you post stories, not just links please

Many of us have filters/ firewalls at work that stop us accessing the stories linked to

Cheers :D

In brief
    In Finland someone died in a sauna whilst participating in the world sauna championship which involves a game of who can stay in the longest

Next month there is the East European non drowning event where contestants can take turns at not drowning themselves
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Is it any more eccentric than racing cheese down a hill?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    DCowling wrote:
    Next month there is the East European non drowning event where contestants can take turns at not drowning themselves

That would be swimming then?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DCowling
    DCowling wrote:

That would be swimming then?

No although I can see why you would think that
    This event involves the person to hold their head under water for as long as possible then a little bit longer a bit like a ducking stool but without the witch ( although during these times of equality it may be difficult to exclude them )
    It's all part of the new extreme events, there are plans to have endurance for exposure to extreme cold where people can sit in a walk in freezer and see how long they can last.
    I think it could catch on
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Darwinism in action, bring it on!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DCowling
    SimonAH wrote:
    Darwinism in action, bring it on!

Maybe start a spin off from the Darwin Awards
    Could call it The Evolution Games
    imagine the podium
    1st place = coffin / urn / body bag
    2nd place = ressus / CPR / paramedics
    3rd place = blanket and a cup of tea

The winner would be the ultimate loser,
  • Clever Pun

Not really but it's a challenge to beat the cheese down the hill, people can see that and appreciate the effort involved

yet sitting in a wooden box at silly temperatures as long as possible isn't really up to much and it's kind of the dumb things you try as a kid.. imo
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

What? Watching someone essentially roast themselves like a pork loin vs watching some blokes hit a ball around a field? I'm up for watching the porki roasting any day!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Clever Pun

What? Watching someone essentially roast themselves like a pork loin vs watching some blokes hit a ball around a field? I'm up for watching the porki roasting any day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgg20IqibM
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Hell, judgment from a country with has Cheese Rolling, Swamp Soccer and Worm Charming as national past times :wink::lol:

Believe me as a first aider the cheese rolling event is not a pretty one to watch and we have paramedics from work go up to watch and run a book on 'guess the injury' :shock: :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390

I would do this again any day rather than spend another minute in any sauna.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Although there are some regular limbs pointing the wrong way, I don't think anyone's actually died from it. There's also a possibility that you could do it without injuring yourself, whereas subjecting yourself to temperatures above boiling point - literally as hot as an oven - is only ever going to end in disaster.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10922428

What do they put in Maccy D's Nuggets out there?!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    All about perception, innit.

I bet your average Finnish person thinks we're raving loonies for commuting by bike in London.
  • ketsbaia wrote:

I bet your average Finnish person thinks we're raving loonies for commuting by bike in London.

Ooooh dear me no.

They do all think we're wusses for not cycling in the snow, though. And for not drinking beer in our saunas. And for not drinking as much as them.

Finland's great. Obsessed with saunas though.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718

Finland's great. Obsessed with saunas though.

And peas and performing cats and Moomins.

At least they were last time I was there.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    ketsbaia wrote:

Your average Finnish Person is battered so probably doesn't think about anything but Reindeer kebabs and not freezing to death.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Your average Finnish Person is battered so probably doesn't think about anything but Reindeer kebabs and not freezing to death.

Hence the saunas.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    ketsbaia wrote:

Ooooh dear me no.

They do all think we're wusses for not cycling in the snow, though.

Who doesn't cycle in the snow? Wusses! I cycled in the snow, and on ice, last winter. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    I cycled in the snow, and on ice, last winter. :D

...that was indeed a blast - roll on winter!
    "Consider the grebe..."