Rapha film

2»

Comments

• dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    mrushton wrote:
    Right, I've watched it and it's a nice piece of arty b0ll0x imo but it captures the Arenberg area nicely and reminds me of how good Musueew was despite his 'history' Good of Rapha to make it I wonder if they got the Mapei kit from Prendas :wink:

I look fwd to next weeks film

Have to agree. It's so up its own a-hole that at times is looks like the kind of film someone would make as a psstake of Rapha. Still the bits with cycling in it were quite good.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    The only problem I have with Rapha is that I can't afford it.

As for the film - well, its alright and I'm happy someone is making these sort of films and I got to watch it for free - but it wasn't as good as their 1910 film for me. Although some of it was a nice insight to the P/R
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Rapha fans might like this: http://artisanalpencilsharpening.com/

:wink:
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I like the Rapha concept. I wish I had thought of it. I can't afford any of their kit and I don't think it would be suitable for the Peel - Douglas commute.

Overall I think it has broadened the cycling "church" as it were and given it an angle that makes cycling acceptable to people who otherwise wouldn't be interested.

...I like arty films as well.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Not overly impressed by the film. Pretty awful in places. Cervelo make far better cycling films.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:

That is actually amazing.

Where on earth did you find that?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

That is actually amazing.

Where on earth did you find that?

http://www.metafilter.com/94646/Artisin ... Sharpening
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Not overly impressed by the film. Pretty awful in places. Cervelo make far better cycling films.

I watched the film on Friday.

On the one hand, it is beautifually shot, lit and composed etc - the cinematography is very nice.
    On the other hand, it is hilarious (not deliberately so) in places...............sort of a Reeves & Mortimer spoof of French art house. I actually laughed out loud in places at all the guff and the lead 'character' travelling through time like some malnourished Highlander was a particular treat?!!

Agree that the bits about cycling (about 2 mins of a 15 min film) were nicely done.
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    It's worth watching for Museeuw alone. Although I was disappointed he reduced himself to a Cantona-esque "portrait" at the start with the mud on his face, in the Roubaix shower.
  • pedro118118
    It is certainly trying very hard......................a bit too hard really. The narrative is interesting, but the excecution is over-the-top and inbalanced. Too much retrospection, too little character focus.............Musseuw himself is under-used.
  • So, was it a bit like an extended advertisment, like you might see in the cinema? I ask because that's basically what RSA do, and adverts tend to be some what OTT due to the often extreme time constraint, the need to catch the attention of a distracted audience ("it's only the adverts") and the sitaution of being just one of a sequence of such things.
  • pedro118118
    I suppose so - it does remind you of the Chanel ads by Scott, Jean Pierre Jeunet, Baz Luhrmann etc.............15 mins is stretching the concept somewhat though!!!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    daviesee wrote:
    I just don't get the issue with Rapha.

If you don't like the products or the company, don't buy the gear. Simples.

Funny how Castelli and Assos are never brought to task..........
    You are surely aware that Castelli and Assos are not UK based or focussed, and I don't recall seeing arty videos and glossy photo books promoting their brand.

I see it as a bit smoke-and-mirrors. No maybe that's a bit harsh, it's marketing. Oh no, that's worse :wink:

Seriously, they are selling luxury products to a market (mostly well off and style conscious) that they are likely to understand. If you're not part of that market it either washes over you - as per daviesee above - or you see it as shameless profiteering. If the latter you may or may not consider that a bad thing. Some people are just jealous but others are put off by this approach.

You could say the same about so many so-called upmarket brands. Look at the marketing of cars, there is so much bullsh*t selling tin boxes it's unbelievable! Same goes for many clothing companies. Nowhere is it done more obviously and blatantly than high fashion / haute couture. The prices are sky-high but the people who buy it lap it up. Horses for courses, it seems.

Rapha are not trying to sell to people who have a conscience about the factory workers who made their clothes, about Fairtrade or responsible, ethical business. Fair play to Howies, they may lay it on thick but they are really trying hard to do the right thing.

And how many of you criticising Rapha for not trading ethically / bothering to ask awkward questions then make ethical decisions in your other purchases? Customers not asking questions is how Asda, Tesco, Nike, Nestlé and many others get so big.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I watched it. A few seconds of good racing footage, and the rest was utter pretentious w*nk, more than I thought possible for even Rapha.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Simon E wrote:
    You are surely aware that Castelli and Assos are not UK based or focussed, and I don't recall seeing arty videos and glossy photo books promoting their brand.

UK based has little to do with the OP, or the diversion of the thread in my opinion and there is always this

http://www.assos.com/en/59/catalogue.aspx

or

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/media/videos/

It is all marketing and up to us to take or leave it.

The rest, I totally agree with.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • That Assos catalogue cover was photographed in Sardinia last year when the granfondo team (a customers club) were riding the event. For a fee you get to live the dream, riding alongside ex-pros like Chiappucci.

http://www.equipecampionissimo.com/ec/#/english/
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    A better effort today imo. Less art more substance. Nostalgia and personal memories in there for most of us I think. The hillclimb scene will probably have us all nodding sympathetically. Nicely shot as well.
    M.Rushton