first cycling event

clairelc
clairelc Posts: 49
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
since i've started commuting by bike (a whole month ago), i'm starting to get a strange urge (:shock:) to go on an actual cycling event/ride, and have come across ones organised by wiggle. Considering i only pootle at max 6 miles in one go, their "fun" distance in the new forestin october seems a good bet to start with:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Wiggl ... e=googleps

has anyone here been on one of these, and if so would you recommend it? does it matter what bike you have? and if you're not particularly fast? this whole cycling lark of mine is taking on a life of its own....

Comments

• Welcome!

I, I'm ashamed to say, have not been on a similar event, but I have heard great praise for the organisation of the wiggle ones.

I have, however, been on rides around the New Forest, and it's just a gorgeous area to ride a bike. I'm sure it won't matter one bit how fast you are, nor what bike you have. I have heard tell of people doing seriously hardcore rides on unicycles....... but I wouldn't recommend it!
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Welcome to the club.

If you check out the Silly Commuter Sportives thread you will see that people have completed a massive range of sportives including some very impressive ones. I'm fairly certain that some of the wiggle ones have been done and were generally considered to be good well organised ones.

Sportives in general are not serious events so type of bike & speed are generally not an issue provided you can get around before they start closing the course :wink:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 to the welcome.
    I've done two of the Wiggle rides this year- route on the Meon one was a bit dodgy, IMHO in places (some of the roads consisting of potholes either side of gravel...aaargh), no such complaints about the Spring New Forest one, the autumn one will have a similar route no doubt. In both cases excellent organisation, well-stocked feed stations, good signage. Absolutely no problem riding whatever you've got- I did the New Forest on my Cadenza (26" hybrid), and there were plenty on MTBs/hybrids etc. I would recommend building up your mileage beforehand though, 6 miles to 40 is a bit of a jump!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    I commute 10 miles a day. When I first got my road bike and I went for a 45 mile road cycle (averaging 17mph) when I got home my legs were shaking, so I doubt I'd have gone much further!

So if you're taking it easy on the 'fun' one, I should imagine you'll be ok!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yep, done one of the Wiggle Super Series. Really well organised, without any "ooohh we're all elite" cycling snobbery, which is what I was worried about. I'd suggest starting as early as you can if you're worried about your speed, and I'd probably bring my own food and drink now too...

It was fun, give it a go. What's the worst that could happen?*

[Edit]: Didn't see the distance you're currently riding. Build up your distance with weekend rides for a little while, and 40 miles will be a snap. I'd say do a training ride every weekend; 15 miles, 25 miles, and then 35 miles. You need to give your body a chance to get used to doing it for longer periods, so it won't be a massive shock on the day. It'll become easy very quickly.

*: Raptor attack. That's always a worry.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • clairelc
    thanks for all the advice.

I randomly did about 20/25 miles to,along,and home from last years' skyride on a borrowed bike last year without ever having ridden since childhood and survived, so i think with doing a few more longer rides as you all suggest between now and then i'll manage the 30/35 mile 'Fun' distance without too much difficulty.

does it make me a glutton for punishment that i'm scheming to do this 1 week after coming back from trekking along the great wall of china for a week :shock:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Excellent! I had a similar "itch" when I came back from travelling. Just build up the mileage bit by bit.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Yep - did the New Forest in the spring - the autumn one is basically the same route - not too hilly - good starter - well organised, good food stops, clear route - only one really steep hill and some great countryside 8)
  • clairelc wrote:
    since i've started commuting by bike (a whole month ago), i'm starting to get a strange urge (:shock:) to go on an actual cycling event/ride, and have come across ones organised by wiggle. Considering i only pootle at max 6 miles in one go, their "fun" distance in the new forestin october seems a good bet to start with:

has anyone here been on one of these, and if so would you recommend it? does it matter what bike you have? and if you're not particularly fast? this whole cycling lark of mine is taking on a life of its own....

I have been on 3 Wiggle rides this year and I would recommend it. I will also being doing that Sportive but the Epic route and the riding around there is fantastic.

It only matters what bike you have to the people you overtake :twisted: I have seen plenty of Hyrbids and MTBs on these rides. Speed is also not an issue due to the distance you are doing. You may even find someone or a group of people your pace and it will become a social ride

Good luck with the ride

p.s. I do not think the fun route takes in the 25% Blissford Hill. You can get an idea of what the route will be from here http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails. ... entid=2340 although it is likely to change
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    when i did the etape caledonia this year there were several people doing it on Brompton type bikes :shock:

I would come down but I think I'm doing a (sprint) triathlon that weekend and i've been lazy this year so this will be the first

take it easy, find a nice group to go round with if you can as it makes life so much easier. Just rememember to take your turn on the front as it makes people so much happier.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Well done Claire and go for it!
  • Good Luck Claire!

I did my first Sportive this year and was amazed by how friendly the event was - you set your own pace and join and drop out of groups as they day goes. Good advice on the start early though, and make sure you eat/drink plenty right from the start :-)
  • clairelc
    ok i'm convinced! now to just get the fella to come along too!
  • clairelc wrote:
    ok i'm convinced! now to just get the fella to come along too!

Surely some goading about manliness or lack thereof will do the trick... :wink:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Or some comment about the manliness of the other riders that will be there.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    clairelc wrote:

Wanted to do the New Forest, will do the April one next year.

I have a road bike bias so I would suggest that as the preferred steed for sportives.

If you have a bike you love and it loves you, you and he or she (the bike) will want to ride longer, faster, further, quicker. Eventually you mayl also want to test you ability and talent (this often affects competitive souls more).

I love the thrill of a sportive or organised ride, even though I'm relatively slow, I love the physical challenge.

Oh and WELCOME!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clairelc
    dhope wrote:
    Or some comment about the manliness of the other riders that will be there.

hmm..maybe i shouldn't bring him then :twisted:
  • This item qualifies for FREE DELIVERY
    Great saves me having to travel 120 miles to get to the start. I am not sure you could fit the New Forest through my letter box if I am out though.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clairelc
    and quite how they'd mail the New Forest to everyone who took part is a mystery too. unless you get a branch and a square inch of cycle path in a box.
  • Have a look at the Evans Ride It sportives too. They're well run and good value. They can offer 4 distances, fun, short, med and long. Sounds like you'll be doing short rather than fun soon.
  • clairelc
    thanks - i've taken a look at them, and I think the ones in the SE are when I'm not in the country. Hoepfully they'll be doing more next year though...