On Hannibal's Trail - Over the Alps BBC4 8:30

samfwood
samfwood Posts: 2
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
A combination of cycling and carrying our bikes gets us over the Alps. Have any of you had to carry a bike over a mountain rather than ride it because the path dissapears! It is a pretty silly thing to do!

Comments

• Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    samfwood wrote:
    A combination of cycling and carrying our bikes gets us over the Alps. Have any of you had to carry a bike over a mountain rather than ride it because the path dissapears! It is a pretty silly thing to do!

I want some of their kit though. I mean the tents, air bags etc. fold up so small you'd swear they weren't carrying them, and the (cotton) t-shirts are perfectly pressed at all times......
  • er... i think the original poster is one of them.

i have really enjoyed the shows. it's always good to have a cycle touring programme on. one that shows a little of the history of the places you're travelling through is a bonus too. as always the programme has to be a little lighter than perhaps some of us would like, but that's the nature of the beast and if it gets a few others out on their bikes, it's all good.

i've never had to do anything like carry my bike over a mountain, but i think most who have been on tours will have had to overcome something similar, but maybe not on quite such a scale. cycle tours are essentially problem solving exercises after all.

good luck with your further travels and give me a shout if you need someone else to come along on one of your excursions. :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there was quite a bit of Left Side Drive last night.

flipping the image does not work that well with a bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    er... i think the original poster is one of them.

i have really enjoyed the shows. it's always good to have a cycle touring programme on. one that shows a little of the history of the places you're travelling through is a bonus too. as always the programme has to be a little lighter than perhaps some of us would like, but that's the nature of the beast and if it gets a few others out on their bikes, it's all good.

i've never had to do anything like carry my bike over a mountain, but i think most who have been on tours will have had to overcome something similar, but maybe not on quite such a scale. cycle tours are essentially problem solving exercises after all.

good luck with your further travels and give me a shout if you need someone else to come along on one of your excursions. :D

oops :oops: but my comment is still valid

I've enjoyed the programmes, although haven't yet watched the 4th one, its just those points keep niggling at me and distract from my enjoyment.